NU Spring Game Conclusions

First of all, I want to say that I am a little surprised that I didn't see a thread about the Spring Game and how the players actually did during it. All I have seen are threads about attendance (who cares?), and other miscellaneous items.

Unfortunately, I did not get to attend the Spring Game. However, I did listen to it on the radio while I sat at home with the windows/doors wide open while I played NCAA Football 2008. It was a great day!

Anyway, listening to games kind of sucks for obvious reasons, however, I did catch the Nebraska Football Show (shouldn't it be called the Bo Pelini Show, or did Bo request that his name not be in the title?) Sunday night. Here are my conclusions/opinions:

(1) I want to say it looked great seeing that stadium packed! Made me think I was actually going to see a game and not a practice...

(2) QBs: I know Ganz doesn't have the best arm in the world, but he definitely didn't look too shabby out there (i.e., that nearly perfect strike to Gilleylen 75+ yards down the field). He is obviously the starter. This subject has been beaten into the ground. Witt and Lee both performed well, but someone who really surprised me was Spano. He did not look like an individual fresh out of high school. Sure he has lots of room to improve, but he's going to be something special.

(3) RBs: What was up with Marlon? He didn't really do all that much, and he had about as many carries as Helu. Speaking of Helu, he looked great out there! Granted he won't be stealing Marlon's spot, but he should share some carries this season with Lucky.

And what about the bulldozer (Castille) putting Thenarse on his arse? What a hit!!! He could be a great RB if he could hold onto the ball. I would take a Castille-style runner over Lucky or Helu anyday, but not if he can't hold onto the ball!

Marlon will get a majority of touches while Helu will be in there too.

(4) WRs: Don't really have much to say about the WRs. All I want to know is: who's going to replace Purify? No one has stepped up yet...

(5) Offense: After watching both offenses, I have a feeling the offense will be highly inconsistent this season from week to week.

(6) Defense: Still really concerned about the D.

One positive thing I noticed was that those guys were flying at the ball! There was lots of group tackling, which has been noticeably lacking in the past 4 years. As Bo had pointed out early on, this was one of his goals.

LBs make me really nervous. Who do we have back there again? Probably Glenn, Dillard, and Wortman? Wortman's time has been limited and Glenn was a RB at the beginning of practice this Spring. I don't know, but the LB position is not looking good.

Hopefully the DL can step up in a big way, otherwise the defense may be in trouble again.

(7) Overall: My overall feeling has changed a bit, and I am probably not as optimistic as I was before. I would say 7-5 or 8-4 would be the most likely final record, with a bowl game of course. Look for losses against Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas Tech, and VT. I would say Colorado and Kansas are up in the air, but I would probably say NU will win both of those as they are both home games.

Now don't get me wrong, just because we won't be winning every game, doesn't mean I am not pumped for the season to start! There is still training/teaching to do, and there is still time to improve. I am just happy that this program has taken steps back in the right direction.