First Husker Game.

Its not that we dont want to stay in Lincoln, but we have to bring our wives, who are, for a lack of a better term, hotel snobs. Therefore the nicest hotel in Lincoln (the cornhusker) is sold out. Is there anything comparable in Lincoln? My buddy and I would stay at a Motel 6 no problem, but the women wont. So we have to stay in something like a Courtyard or Marriott, Hilton....you get the gist.

And we are coming from the East Coast, so its easier to fly in and out of Omaha.

Cant wait, I hope the great things Ive heard about the NU fans holds true.

dbetz i think he's a hokie fan. But what I would do is stay in Lincoln at a motel 6 or the like and have the wives drive down from Omaha! :lol:

:clap:clap:clap

Its not that we dont want to stay in Lincoln, but we have to bring our wives, who are, for a lack of a better term, hotel snobs. Therefore the nicest hotel in Lincoln (the cornhusker) is sold out. Is there anything comparable in Lincoln? My buddy and I would stay at a Motel 6 no problem, but the women wont. So we have to stay in something like a Courtyard or Marriott, Hilton....you get the gist.

And we are coming from the East Coast, so its easier to fly in and out of Omaha.

Cant wait, I hope the great things Ive heard about the NU fans holds true.

dbetz i think he's a hokie fan. But what I would do is stay in Lincoln at a motel 6 or the like and have the wives drive down from Omaha! :lol:

:clap:clap:clap

That sounds like the perfect solution :clap

If you must stay in Omaha, be prepared to leave for the game at least 2 hours in advance - and that will get you to the gates with a few minutes to spare.

Recommendations:

Assuming that you want to stay in a higher end hotel, stay at the embassy suites downtown. It has a very nice interior atrium and the rooms are quite nice. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar. You can also get a very good suite there if you want to spend a little more. Most importantly, the hotel is across the street from the Old Market.

The Old Market is the downtown historical area with quaint shopping and what amounts to Omaha's nightlife scene. There are quite a few bars that will be full on most Friday nights including: Billy Frogs, The Dubliner, the French Underground, M's Pub, and such. Just walk around, they are all within about the same 4 block square and many have outdoor patios. If you want something really unique, get a taxi and take it up to the Crescent Moon. Its about 2 miles West of the downtown area and has a great atmosphere. There also have many many exotic foreign beers on tap (makes Old Chicago look like an Applebee's). The downstairs area has an authentic German bar that serves beer out of glass boots - just don't break it, they're $50 bucks each.

Leave for the game at least 3 hours before. Preferably 4+ hours early so you beat some of the traffic and you have time to bar hop and go to the book store. Make sure to go to Sandy's and get and "Elk Creek" and then to Duffy's for a "fishbowl." Otherwise Bisonwiches has excellent sandwiches and beer specials. Make sure to try a Runza too.

Directions: Go West from the hotel to 13th street, take a right (North). Go about 5 blocks to Cass Street. You'll see signs pointing to interstate 480 South. Take a left (West) on Cass and this literally runs strait into 480 South. Take 480 South to interstate 80 West and go to Lincoln. Get off on the downtown exit and just drive until you hit downtown. Can't help with the parking, we have reserved spots for our cars since before I can remember. There are quite a few places around the outskirts of downtown for $10 - $20 i believe.

Hope this helps

Brad

If you must stay in Omaha, be prepared to leave for the game at least 2 hours in advance - and that will get you to the gates with a few minutes to spare.

Recommendations:

Assuming that you want to stay in a higher end hotel, stay at the embassy suites downtown. It has a very nice interior atrium and the rooms are quite nice. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar. You can also get a very good suite there if you want to spend a little more. Most importantly, the hotel is across the street from the Old Market.

The Old Market is the downtown historical area with quaint shopping and what amounts to Omaha's nightlife scene. There are quite a few bars that will be full on most Friday nights including: Billy Frogs, The Dubliner, the French Underground, M's Pub, and such. Just walk around, they are all within about the same 4 block square and many have outdoor patios. If you want something really unique, get a taxi and take it up to the Crescent Moon. Its about 2 miles West of the downtown area and has a great atmosphere. There also have many many exotic foreign beers on tap (makes Old Chicago look like an Applebee's). The downstairs area has an authentic German bar that serves beer out of glass boots - just don't break it, they're $50 bucks each.

Leave for the game at least 3 hours before. Preferably 4+ hours early so you beat some of the traffic and you have time to bar hop and go to the book store. Make sure to go to Sandy's and get and "Elk Creek" and then to Duffy's for a "fishbowl." Otherwise Bisonwiches has excellent sandwiches and beer specials. Make sure to try a Runza too.

Directions: Go West from the hotel to 13th street, take a right (North). Go about 5 blocks to Cass Street. You'll see signs pointing to interstate 480 South. Take a left (West) on Cass and this literally runs strait into 480 South. Take 480 South to interstate 80 West and go to Lincoln. Get off on the downtown exit and just drive until you hit downtown. Can't help with the parking, we have reserved spots for our cars since before I can remember. There are quite a few places around the outskirts of downtown for $10 - $20 i believe.

Hope this helps

Brad

wow, wow, wow, awesome. exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks guys, and for the record, yes 3 out of 4 of us are Hokies (my wife is a Pitt Panther), (my family are season ticket holders for 26 years (from the Bill Dooley days))

I have been to all the places in the big east, most of the ACC, etc. And as soon as this fame was announced, I knew I had to get to it.

So far my favorite places have been Texas A&M and LSU. Awesome people, very friendly, and thats what I expect in Lincoln.

Least favorite, hands down, West Virginia. Horrible people, I have never been screamed at in a convenience store at 530 am (just trying to get coffee) by an 18 year old girl to "F-off Hokie" not a nice crowd there.

I hope we Hokies can be hospitable to you guys when you make the trip East, I know every school has the 3% of jackass fans, and Im hoping to avoid them in Lincoln and hope you avoid them when you come to Blacksburg.

Recommendations:

Hope this helps

Brad

wow, wow, wow, awesome. exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks guys, and for the record, yes 3 out of 4 of us are Hokies (my wife is a Pitt Panther), (my family are season ticket holders for 26 years (from the Bill Dooley days))

I have been to all the places in the big east, most of the ACC, etc. And as soon as this fame was announced, I knew I had to get to it.

So far my favorite places have been Texas A&M and LSU. Awesome people, very friendly, and thats what I expect in Lincoln.

Least favorite, hands down, West Virginia. Horrible people, I have never been screamed at in a convenience store at 530 am (just trying to get coffee) by an 18 year old girl to "F-off Hokie" not a nice crowd there.

I hope we Hokies can be hospitable to you guys when you make the trip East, I know every school has the 3% of jackass fans, and Im hoping to avoid them in Lincoln and hope you avoid them when you come to Blacksburg.

I am sure you will completly enjoy your experience. You might even leave here as having the Huskers as your second favorite team.

Enjoy

Ooops!

In the directions I mentioned 13th Street North. Make that 10th street north! Just ask the hotel people, they'll get you to the stadium.

Also might as well include the commute from downtown to the stadium:

(Downtown Omaha is on the far Eastern side of the city. You will be taking the interstate all the way across Omaha - 15 minutes, then heading West across about 40 miles of Nebraska to Lincoln)

2 hours before the game: ~2 hours

3 hours before the game: 1 1/2 - 2 hours

4 hours before the game: 1 1/2 hours

Any other day: 1 1/4 hours

Also, one last thing. If you choose to tailgate, it is MANDATORY to drink from red plastic disposable 16 oz cups. You will be ticketed if cops see you with cans or bottles. Just hide them in a cooler in the trunk. Do not attempt to walk around on the sidewalks or streets with the cups either. Just stay by your car in the parking area and as long as you are behaving, you should be fine.

Cheers

• 1 month later...