Linebacker, running back eye NU

Linebacker, running back eye NU

This week, let's look at two prospects that I believe the Huskers have good shots at signing.

The first one is a linebacker - a position of need and the one that is looking the best to commit as of now. The other one, a running back from Hawaii, has more options, and the Nebraska staff already has two running backs committed. However, this one running back is smaller and more versatile.

The University of Nebraska was the first Division I school to come out of the gate with a scholarship offer for Eric Martin, the 6-foot-2, 225-pound inside linebacker from Rancho Verde High School in Moreno Valley, Calif.

Since receiving the Nebraska offer, Martin has had the chance to check out the university and he likes what he has found out.

"I think they are a good school - real good school," he said. "I think they have got one of the nicest weight rooms. They have the biggest crowds for spring ball."

When he was asked what he thought were his strong points, he said, "My tackling and probably just keeping the defense in control. You know, constantly telling people what to do and make most of the tackles. That is it. I have been the captain for two years already. Last year, I was the defensive captain. I was only a junior."

His high school coach has spoken highly of his top defensive player and leader.

"Everyone loves him as a player," Pete Duffy said. "He's an incredible talent and once I told the schools that he would qualify and I could just about guarantee that, the interest in him has really picked up. Carl Pelini at Nebraska came by and basically offered on the spot. He loves him. I expect the floodgates to open now and I could see him getting offers from everyone.

In April, Rick Kimbrel, the Rivals.com regional analyst, had the following to say just after observing Eric Martin at the SoCal NIKE Camp.

"Martin was easily among the best linebackers there and he could have just as easily won the MVP award. He was also very fluid and athletic. He also displayed the hard-nosed grit that you like in your linebackers. It is a mystery why he doesn't have any offers, but that could change and fast," he said.

His parents would prefer that he attend a school relatively close to his home in southern California, but he is open to any school including Nebraska.

"If Nebraska is the best school, I'm going to go there. Me and my running back Daniel Jenkins think that is the best school right now. They said that they are going to give him (an offer), but I don't know (for sure). They are thinking really hard on it. He is real good. He was the best running back in our division.".000

All-purpose running back Dalton Hilliard recently participated in a NIKE camp in California and his performance there has helped him in his recruiting. College coaches from the mainland took the time to fly to Oahu to watch him and three more top schools could be offering him soon.

"(Recruiting) has actually been going really good," said Hilliard, a 6-foot, 183-pounder from Punahou High School. "They said that my stock went up and everything, as I'm more of a complete back than they thought.

"Plus, a lot of coaches have been coming by for our spring practice - USC, Nebraska was down there, Colorado, Tennessee, Stanford and some other schools. It is definitely an exciting time over here in Hawaii."

As of now, Hilliard has offers from Nebraska, Colorado, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Stanford, UNLV, Arizona, Army and Utah. He doesn't have formal offers from USC, Tennessee and Stanford, but all three of them could be next.

"Nebraska was there, but I don't know the coach's name," he said, "and I don't know the Tennessee coach's name, but there were a lot of coaches here. USC said they are definitely interested. It was cool."

Hilliard has had the chance to meet the Huskers' new head coach and he has had a chance to make arrangements with their running backs coach.

"I met coach Bo Pelini at the LSU camp," he said. "It was last summer. I talked to him down there and I have been talking to coach (Tom) Beck, the running backs coach."

It won't be long before Hilliard is scoring touchdowns at the next level. Following the recruiting process of him and Martin will be exciting to watch.