Joba, Joe, and Bo...

Maybe Joba hysteria will cool

Maybe Joba Chamberlain's struggles Tuesday night will cool the hysteria surrounding the pitcher a little bit.

Don't get me wrong. Joba's a great kid. He's an inspiration. But geez, isn't the media overdoing it a little bit on this story? Maybe there's just too much media in our country, period (Did I just say that?). Maybe the media has become too pervasive in our society, what with the round-the-clock coverage and blogs and vidcasts (check out our vidcasts after you read our blog!).

What if Joba's name were Stan Chamberlain? Would Joba be such a big deal then? Wonder if Stan Bahnsen received the kind of attention Joba is getting. Bahnsen is a former Husker who was named the 1968 American League Rookie of the Year after compiling a 17-12 record with the Yankees, striking out 162 and recording a 2.05 ERA.

I'd never heard of Stan Bahnsen until this week, when he was listed in our newspaper. If only his name would've been something like Sterling Bahnsen or Steamroller Bahnsen, he might've gotten the Joba media treatment. OK, probably not.

Elsewhere . . . A hearty congrats to former Nebraska quarterback Joe Dailey, who got married in Lincoln this past weekend. He recently accepted a job as a graduate assistant coach on Turner Gill's staff at Buffalo.

From the Who Knew? department: Bo Pelini was a heck of a high school hoops player, good enough to be recruited by former Missouri head coach Norm Stewart. Something tells me those two would've gotten along well.

Playing point guard and off-guard at Cardinal Mooney in Youngstown, Ohio, the 6-foot-2 Pelini was talented and polished enough to be recruited by "a number of" Division I programs, he says.

"I had chances to commit to some schools early," Pelini says. "I don't know how it would have played out. When I didn't commit early, schools knew I was going to play football. It was pretty much assumed."

This much is certain: Pelini won't be rooting for the Lakers. Not a big fan of Kobe and company.

Joba, by no means is ready to start just yet. This move shouldn't have happened till unleast after the all star break. His inning's cap is at about 140, which means he could blow through that by the end of august. Unless they keep him on his pitch count.

Why are you going to let a kid throw 70 pitches or so, let the whole league know about it, so they can sit back, run up his pitch count, so he'll be done after 2 or 3 innings...