Scary situation right now!!!

Well the rain has taken a serious toll on the Des Moines Metro Area and the whole State of Iowa actually. Right now we are in a bad situation because the main local damn, Saylorville Dam, is having a hard time dealing with all the water around here and we haven't even experienced the 10 inches of rain that northern Iowa got the other night and they are expecting another 9 inches or so over the next few days. I lived in Iowa during the so called 100 year flood in 1993 and it seems we have another 100 year floor on our hands 85 years early. In 1993 we lost our city water and had to go and get our water through lines at local convience stores. Frankly it was a horrible time and I don't want to go through it again, but it sounds like it's going to happen again. Right now we have so pretty good flooding going on all over the area and they are comparing those levels to 1993 levels. Our levy systems have improved though so it doesn't seem as bad. Tonight the emergency spill way will be over run and the amount of water going through Des Moines will double most certaintly causing some serious problems. Just wanted to tell you all what's going on and ask you to keep all the people in your prayers because it's going to get so bad our downtown bridges are going to be underwater. :hmmph

Well it sounds like the situation around most of Des Moines is getting better, but a levy broke in the Northside of Des Moines early this morning flooding a neighborhood. They are saying that although the river is going down the levy's are having a hard time dealing with all of the water and liquidfication is starting to become a concern. That's when the levy's basically turn to mud and fail. I hope that doesn't happen even though the river would have to rise about 40 feet before it reaches my house. I did receive a call from the Des Moines Police Department yesterday stating my neighborhood had been marked for voluntary evacuation because of problems they were having with the levy's a little down stream from us. I'm just glad I don't live in Cedar Rapids or Waterloo because both of those cities are almost completely under water.