Interview W/ Pelini

Click here for original, audio version per ljs (It's about 41 minutes long)

A summary

Bo on Bill

Bo Pelini even talked some about Bill Callahan during a Thursday interview.

"Coach Callahan probably came into a situation where, for a place as great as this, there was a lot of turmoil going on," Pelini said. "Let's face it, he got into a tough situation. Guy's a good football coach or he wouldn't have had the opportunities he's had to this point. But he came into a tough deal.

"I came into a situation .... where I feel like the backing's here, there's more of an excitement in my favor as opposed to the division that was going on back in 2003. But ultimately it comes down to how we do. They love me now, but you got to perform."

Pelini hasn't spoken to Callahan since he left, but said there might be a point when that happens. "Let's face it, the way it ended for him wasn't easy. I don't know him real well. I've probably only had two conversations with him in my life so I don't if there'll ever be a right time for that. I don't know."

Some nuts and bolts from Bo

Just got out of an interview with Bo Pelini, a variety of topics put on the table.

I'll put up a few blogs about the interview, but here's a starter with some answers to the questions I've been getting the most in my e-mail.

What's the latest on Khiry Cooper?

"Khiry Cooper, he's here, he's in class," Pelini said. "(The Angels) have until Aug. 15 to keep negotiating with him. They're doing that. But I think it sends a pretty strong message to what his intentions are. He's here, he's in class. He's working out."

Pelini said he thinks Cooper has a certain dollar amount in mind that the Angels would probably have to get to for him to consider signing.

What's Andy Christensen's status?

Pelini said the offensive lineman is still indefinitely suspended. "The legal system, the facts, that has to play out. I'm a person, I don't base myself on what I hear from second-hand information. Give me all the information and we'll make the decision. And we don't have all the information yet."

Christensen has a pre-trial motions hearing on Friday.

And what about Josh Williams, who was accused of robbing a man of $900 in Denton, Texas?

That whole story hasn't come out yet, and coaches are optimistic the final decision could lean Williams' way.

"From all information we've gathered, we thought it would have resolved by now," Pelini said. "But unfortunately it's buried underneath a stack of papers. But it sure seems like it's going to be favorable."

Pelini said he anticipates Williams will be here by August, "but once again, you never know with the legal system."

Recruits who aren't on campus yet include Williams, David Grant, Justin Rogers, David Whitmore and Antonio Bell. Some of those guys have grade issues, Pelini said.

As for tight end Hunter Teafatiller, who recently picked up another DWI?

"He's been disciplined and he will be disciplined," Pelini said. Teafatiller is apparently still on the team.

"I'm not one that budges off my beliefs. It's about the team. It's about the university. It's about the athletic department," Pelini said.

"At the end of the day, talent wins. You have to have good talent and we understand that that's necessary. But you got to have good people and you have to be preparing them for life after football ... No matter how you good, whether you're the first guy on the depth chart or the last, everyone's going to be held to the same accountability."

Pelini said there are a couple kids -- not scholarship kids -- who have been let go, but he didn't name them.