2005 Recruiting Class

What grade would you give this year's recruiting class?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While the class has some very highly rated and very highly touted recruits, the overall lack of speed in this class is disappointing. The 50 or so wr's they got dont really have a great deep threat, even though Hardy has pretty decent wheels. The LBs seem to have the best comparative overall speed, but then guys like R Piccou and Harvey are exceptionally slow.

That and the fact that the coaching staff left us dangerously thin at DB, yet failed to get more than 3 guys projected to play there is not very good.

I guess that when you run callahans system, you need more scholly qbs to play one position than you need scholly dbs to play 4?

Get used to 5-6.

I gave the class an A.

I have no idea what former fan is talking about. This is the fastest class we have seen in years.

Lucky- 4.48

Jackson-4.40

Rands-4.41

Hardy-4.45

Franklin-4.43

Spain-4.44

Bowman-4.38

Moore-4.5

Dillard-4.6

Octavian-4.5

Even Congdon runs a 4.9

Only three QB's have a chance this year. Taylor, Beck, and Adams. If Dailey is satrting, we are in big trouble.The other three on the depth chart will be gone.

Dailey could play DB. Ha Ha.

I gave the class an A.

I have no idea what former fan is talking about. This is the fastest class we have seen in years.

Lucky- 4.48

Jackson-4.40

Rands-4.41

Hardy-4.45

Franklin-4.43

Spain-4.44

Bowman-4.38

Moore-4.5

Dillard-4.6

Octavian-4.5

Even Congdon runs a 4.9

Only three QB's have a chance this year. Taylor, Beck, and Adams. If Dailey is satrting, we are in big trouble.The other three on the depth chart will be gone.

Dailey could play DB. Ha Ha.

These times are all wind-aided. They all run 5.0 and slower!

While the class has some very highly rated and very highly touted recruits, the overall lack of speed in this class is disappointing. The 50 or so wr's they got dont really have a great deep threat, even though Hardy has pretty decent wheels. The LBs seem to have the best comparative overall speed, but then guys like R Piccou and Harvey are exceptionally slow.

^^^Dumbest...post...EVER.

The only thing wrong with this class is that we failed to get our major DB targets. Apparently the coaches were lead to believe that Reggie was ours to lose, and we came down to the wire for Myers-White. It's gonna be tough at DB next year (coincidentally DB was the weakest part of the team last year) but Zack Bowman should come in and make a difference at CB, and should Leon get qualified and move to S, he should get some PT this year.

Unlike what our former fan said, this class is loaded with speed. Obviously he hasn't seen film from the likes of Leon Jackson, Marlon Lucky, Zack Bowman, Phillip Dillard, Chris Brooks, Frantz Hardy, Wallace Franklin, Barry Turner...I could go on and on. It seems that you're basing all your information off of 40 times, while you forget there is such a thing as "deceptively fast." Not to mention the 40 is the most overrated measurement of any football player. And to throw the names of an offensive lineman and a guy that we all know needs work but has great mechanics as your only two examples in there, it's a pretty weak argument. To call this class slow...you really are blinded by your hatred of Stevie P. Get on with it, Frank's gone, either be a NEBRASKA fan or a Frank Solich fan.

The only thing wrong with this class is that we failed to get our major DB targets. Apparently the coaches were lead to believe that Reggie was ours to lose, and we came down to the wire for Myers-White. It's gonna be tough at DB next year (coincidentally DB was the weakest part of the team last year) but Zack Bowman should come in and make a difference at CB, and should Leon get qualified and move to S, he should get some PT this year.

Unlike what our former fan said, this class is loaded with speed. Obviously he hasn't seen film from the likes of Leon Jackson, Marlon Lucky, Zack Bowman, Phillip Dillard, Chris Brooks, Frantz Hardy, Wallace Franklin, Barry Turner...I could go on and on. It seems that you're basing all your information off of 40 times, while you forget there is such a thing as "deceptively fast." Not to mention the 40 is the most overrated measurement of any football player. And to throw the names of an offensive lineman and a guy that we all know needs work but has great mechanics as your only two examples in there, it's a pretty weak argument. To call this class slow...you really are blinded by your hatred of Stevie P. Get on with it, Frank's gone, either be a NEBRASKA fan or a Frank Solich fan.

Those numbers are not what I have read, and not what was posted on rivals.

Where did they come from? Besides Jackson, Bowman, and Hardy, rivals didnt list any 4.4 guys, unless you want to count Lucky who is closer to 4.5 (which isnt blazing).

Where did they come from? Besides Jackson, Bowman, and Hardy, rivals didnt list any 4.4 guys, unless you want to count Lucky who is closer to 4.5 (which isnt blazing).

From Rivals:

Lucky - 4.44

Jackson - 4.4

Bowman - 4.4

Rands - 4.41

Wilson - 4.4

Hunter - 4.5

Franklin 4.4

Dillard - 4.61

Brooks - 4.5

Maybe rivals updated their info since the last time you looked.

I think just as impressive as the speed is that we have 10 guys (not including JUCO's) rated in the top 15 at their positions.

Hoya, what you have posted is what I have seen. I've also read that Bowman is actually in the 4.2-4.3 range, and Hardy has ran the 40 at 4.28 before. This doesn't mention we picked up a defensive end that runs a 4.5 and Tomerlin who is 6'6" 265 and runs the 40 at 4.64. Yeah, thats not fast. :wacko:

From Rivals:

Lucky - 4.44

Jackson - 4.4

Bowman - 4.4

Rands - 4.41

Wilson - 4.4

Hunter - 4.5

Franklin 4.4

Dillard - 4.61

Brooks - 4.5

Maybe rivals updated their info since the last time you looked.

I think just as impressive as the speed is that we have 10 guys (not including JUCO's) rated in the top 15 at their positions.

I re-checked rivals, and the #'s you have are what they report, which would be better #'s than what I initially saw on the site. It seems like some things (stats, pictures, etc) have changed on rivals since I last checked.

They could be right, but the majority of the time, the stats (height, weight, 40 times) are usually inflated a little. Not just these (NU) kids, but almost all the recruits from all the schools inflate their #'s, so that point is immaterial.

Like I said, you put WAY too much stock in 40 times. Did you even watch the All American game, or any of these prospects' film? Marlon's 40 is a 4.44 I believe, and that kid left everyone else just looking at him in the A.A. game when he ran by them. If you don't think he's got blazing speed, you need to do more research, because you obviously haven't seen anything but paper. Leon's even faster. Zack Bowman is considered the fastest and has been clocked at a 4.2. To say this class doesn't have speed...wow. Do you expect everyone to have sub-4.5s or something? Get real. This is one of the fastest classes in the nation.

I re-checked rivals, and the #'s you have are what they report, which would be better #'s than what I initially saw on the site. It seems like some things (stats, pictures, etc) have changed on rivals since I last checked.

They could be right, but the majority of the time, the stats (height, weight, 40 times) are usually inflated a little. Not just these (NU) kids, but almost all the recruits from all the schools inflate their #'s, so that point is immaterial.

Things do change on the recruiting sites as the process draws on. When they get new information they update it. And rankings if applicable.

We seem to have acquired some speed, no doubt about that. A couple guys, who are bigger like Tomerlin, seem to move well too.

Like I said, you put WAY too much stock in 40 times. Did you even watch the All American game, or any of these prospects' film? Marlon's 40 is a 4.44 I believe, and that kid left everyone else just looking at him in the A.A. game when he ran by them. If you don't think he's got blazing speed, you need to do more research, because you obviously haven't seen anything but paper. Leon's even faster. Zack Bowman is considered the fastest and has been clocked at a 4.2. To say this class doesn't have speed...wow. Do you expect everyone to have sub-4.5s or something? Get real. This is one of the fastest classes in the nation.

See my previous post. I did check out other teams' recruits, and alot of them had more team speed, REPORTEDLY.

But it seems that rivals has updated alot of info on their site lately, and from what they have updated, this class' overall team speed is greater than what I orginally saw reported (per rivals).

To answer your question, yes, for "skill positions" I would say to compete at the highest level, the overwhelming majority of the players should be sub-4.5 guys.

See my previous post. I did check out other teams' recruits, and alot of them had more team speed, REPORTEDLY.

But it seems that rivals has updated alot of info on their site lately, and from what they have updated, this class' overall team speed is greater than what I orginally saw reported (per rivals).

To answer your question, yes, for "skill positions" I would say to compete at the highest level, the overwhelming majority of the players should be sub-4.5 guys.

Our only skill players that run under a 4.5 is Cody Glenn, who is an exceptional running back and was brought in as a power guy. A 4.5 is a very respectable forty time. Would you never have accepted Jerry Rice, who ran like a 4.6 or 4.7 coming out of college, or Anquan Boldin, who was in the 4.7-4.8 range? They've fared pretty well. You're putting WAY too much stock in your 40 times, not the full package or what you see on film.

Our only skill players that run under a 4.5 is Cody Glenn, who is an exceptional running back and was brought in as a power guy. A 4.5 is a very respectable forty time. Would you never have accepted Jerry Rice, who ran like a 4.6 or 4.7 coming out of college, or Anquan Boldin, who was in the 4.7-4.8 range? They've fared pretty well. You're putting WAY too much stock in your 40 times, not the full package or what you see on film.

Agreed, 40 time is not EVERYTHING, but speed is what the game is all about. I do believe that if you have speed, it can make up for many, many mistakes that players make.