WR David Ausberry

Player: David Ausberry

Hometown: Lemoore, CA

Position: WR

Height: 6’4”

Weight: 215

40 time: 4.46

Visit Date: Sept. 10, 2005

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, USC, Ohio State, Washington, Washington State, Cal, and Fresno State

Favorites: Committed to USC

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: #3/ :star:star:star:star:star

Bid Red Report:#10/ :star:star:star:star

Selected to participate in the US Army All Star Game

Assessing the talent: This kid is exactly what ever school wants in a WR. A prototype pass catcher with speed, size and quickness. Everyone in the country will be on this kid in a couple months.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 0% I would like to put his higher, but it’s too early. A huge positive here is that, it appears, Nebraska is the first to offer this kid. All the big Universities will be on him, if not already. With the early offer, we may have the upper hand, then again??

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Ausberry has NU in his top five and is planning a September visit.

Has that trip been confirmed??

Good to see some fresh faces on the board.

Eric or Nameless has there been any progress with Ausberry??? Is he USC bound? Will USC wait any longer for him to commit?

Can you imagine Ausberry, Brooks and Holt split out wide with Lucky in the backfield with Beck at QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf ther's not a defense alive to stop them.

• 1 month later...

First game article

— It was an inauspicious start for the Central Section's most coveted college football recruit.

But receiver David Ausberry certainly turned things around in the second half.

After being stripped of the ball on his first reception of the season, Ausberry scored on two touchdown runs in the second half to help Lemoore High open the season with a 19-6 victory over San Luis Obispo on Friday.

"I wasn't really too happy, but it was a win," said Ausberry, rated the nation's 22nd-best college prospect by Rivals.com.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound senior said he has received at least 24 scholarship offers, with Division I powerhouses USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska and Georgia all seeking his services.

Lemoore has been no stranger to college recruiters over the years, but Ausberry's recruitment is the highest-profile yet for the Kings County school.

"It's not like we haven't had kids move on from here before," Lemoore athletic director Thom Sembritzki said. "But it's been wild the number of people [recruiting Ausberry.] When your four trips are all to major schools and you are trying to decide between Notre Dame and Michigan for your last one, there's a difference."

Ausberry showcased his breakaway abilities on the game's first play.

Taking the opening kickoff from the 2-yard line, Ausberry darted right and scampered 39 yards before he was pulled down. The return, however, was nullified by a penalty.

Lemoore quarterback Cory Billingsley underthrew and overthrew his first two attempts to Ausberry, but the duo connected for a 42-yard pass play on a fly pattern. But before Ausberry tumbled out of bounds, San Luis Obispo's Michael Irving punched the ball loose for a turnover.

"He's definitely a threat every play," Irving said. "You can't hold back against him."

It proved a temporary setback as Lemoore forced a three-and-out, then marched 40 yards in seven plays — using Ausberry primarily as a decoy — for the only score it would need, an 8-yard run by Billingsley with 6:10 to go in the second quarter.

"I thought I was out of bounds," Ausberry said of the fumble. "But we rebounded from that and scored."

Ausberry's first touchdown, a dazzling 58-yard run that saw him effortlessly speed by several San Luis Obispo defenders, gave Lemoore a 13-6 lead with 8:08 to play in the third quarter.

"I just did what I had to do to get into the end zone," Ausberry said.

His coach saw it differently.

"The play he scored on was a great individual effort," Lemoore coach Shaun Ball said.

Taking a pitch out of the I-formation, Ausberry sealed the victory with an 8-yard touchdown run with 5:57 to play.

Ausberry finished with twocatches for 45yards and four rushes for 73yards.

"I'm just doing what's best for the team," Ausberry said. "Even if I don't get numbers, I am still going to help the team win."