No place else but up

hack

the link.

Nebraska’s defense has nowhere to go but up

By BLAIR KERKHOFF

The Kansas City Star

Posted on Mon, Jul. 21, 2008 10:15 PM

Calling Nebraska’s 2007 defense bad would be a compliment.

It was record-book woeful as the Huskers’ opponents scored more points (455) and averaged more yards per game (476.8) than at any time in school history.

“There was no particular game that stands out,” defensive end Barry Turner said. “There was a sickness you felt after every loss.”

Defense is why Nebraska has a new coach and approach for 2008.

Bo Pelini returns to the scene of some of the most impressive work of his career as a college and NFL assistant coach. As Nebraska’s coordinator in 2003, he shaped a defense that set school records for interceptions and takeaways and helped the Cornhuskers to a 10-3 season.

Not to mention guiding the Cornhuskers to a victory in the Alamo Bowl as the interim head coach for the fired Frank Solich.

When Pelini didn’t get the Huskers job then, he spent a season at Oklahoma, then the last three at LSU, where he helped the Tigers win last season’s BCS championship.

“Having the coach who won a national championship, I figure that’s the right way to go,” Turner said.

But even Pelini stiff-arms great expectations.

“Our kids right now are at the stage of just learning,” Pelini said. “We’re trying to get it taught, and we’re nowhere near where we want to be yet.”

The Big 12 is a different animal than when Pelini oversaw the 2003 group of Demorrio Williams, Josh Bullocks and Fabian Washington. Spread offense and no-huddle sets were hardly seen outside of Texas Tech.

Today, fast-break football is the norm. Nearly every field was scorched earth for the Huskers’ defense, but spread teams hung ludicrous numbers on Nebraska — none more eye-popping than the 76 scored by Kansas.

Pelini’s response is to have his defense become more offensive-minded.

“We try to have an offensive mentality on defense,” Pelini said. “We want to attack, we want to dictate to the offense as much as they’re dictating to us.”

Turner put it this way: “We’re not going to sit back and let teams pick us apart. We’re going to go get them.”

They’ll be doing it with five players who started at least 10 games last season. Four are on the front — ends Turner and Zach Potter along with tackles Ndamukong Suh and Ty Steinkuhler. All of them had their moments, but not nearly enough good ones to keep Nebraska from sliding to a last-place division finish (tied with Iowa State) for the first time in the Big 12.

Turner said he’s dropped 10 pounds and will play at 254 this season — easier to attack that way.

“I wanted to be lighter and more flexible,” he said.

Quarterback Joe Ganz is keeping the faith. He became the starter late and threw 15 touchdown passes in his final three games. That rate should decrease if the defense becomes stronger.

“A lot of times last year we’d get down early and get out of our game plan,” Ganz said. “I don’t think Coach Pelini will let that happen.”

The spread offense is not a good excuse for the result of poor play.

Teams that ran it were tough, but come on man. Not every team ran the spread or needed to. For example:

ISU ran 102 plays on offense;

OSU ran counters, up the middle, sweeps, and simply avoided one arm tackle attempts;

A&M ran 88 plays and had two guys rushing for over 130 yards each.

There was nothing tricky about USC running the ball straight up the middle.

Ball State threw the ball all over the place when you knew they were passing.

I am encouraged a lot more for this year. I'm having some faith. & hope.

The spread offense is not a good excuse for the result of poor play.

Teams that ran it were tough, but come on man. Not every team ran the spread or needed to. For example:

ISU ran 102 plays on offense;

OSU ran counters, up the middle, sweeps, and simply avoided one arm tackle attempts;

A&M ran 88 plays and had two guys rushing for over 130 yards each.

There was nothing tricky about USC running the ball straight up the middle.

Ball State threw the ball all over the place when you knew they were passing.

I am encouraged a lot more for this year. I'm having some faith. & hope.

I agree. All USC had to do was run straight up the middle. Its like the husker coaching staff forgot to coach the defense. They looked like they didn't have a clue. I believe we have the talent the only issue is learning the new playbooks and gameplans.