Carroll/chow?

Benard

Looks like it's official - Chow is now the OC for the Tennesse Titans.

Chow to Titans - from ESPN.com

Sort of sad, really...I wanted Weis/Minter to have a shot at him. Ah well...I have a feeling that USC will decline next year.

What's really sad is that this didn't happen until *after* National LOI day and *after* Leinart declared he was staying at USC. I wonder if Jeff Fischer (the HC and Exec VP of the Titans) being a USC grad played into this?

I mean, we can get very X-Files with this scenario - sign a top-notch class, keep a Heisman QB at the school...then send the Offensive heart of the team to the NFL. Could easily be construed as the classic "bait and switch" to keep the recruits and Leinart in place for next year.

Chow deserved a chance, but it seems that there was no reason to wait this long other than nefarious ones. Mike Heimerdinger left Jan. 19th, and by all published accounts the Titans only ever talked to Chow. (edit: correction, Chow was the only external candidate they interviewed - the spoke to two assistant coaches as well).

It just seems fishy.

IRISH!

hehe....I admire your restraint. I was about to say, "yeah, there might not be a ***** in their armor next year".

But I suppose that would be insensitive and disingenious. ;)

One other thing to consider though...Chow isn't the only coach they've lost - I think 5 of their staff has moved on. The HC might stay, but that is more than half of their staff.

Time will tell, but I suspect this will be the beginning of the end for Carrol's dynasty at USC. Chow is a genious and a major reason for their success. They might luck out and get a good replacement, but it's hard to go to hamburger, or even a good rib eye, when you're used to (no pun intended) kobe steaks.

IRISH!

I think there will be a bit of a transition. Although in some respects it might be easier for an X's and O's kind of guy to move from college to pro coaching just because of the level of ability and knowledge already there. Although, the Titans are a young team and I think Chow is not only a great coordinator, he's a good teacher as well.

If some of that teaching can help the younger players improve, he'll be in good shape I think.

Not to mention, the Titans were devastated by injury last year. If he has McNair back to work with, it'll be a really fun team to watch.

Overall, I suspect he'll be really good. He might be shown as the big fish in the little pond, but I doubt it.

He won't be the next Charlie Weis, of course... :worship: ;)

IRISH!

Only thing that may hurt him is the academic standards there.  Hell he couldn't of went after half the class we pulled in because they weren't smart enough.

We got it the first 100 times. You don't think the recruits are very smart. Thanks again for bringing that up.

I dunno....I mean, yes, ND is a private institution with slighly higher admissions requirements than many - but I think the hurdles for ND admisions are overestimated.

By the same token, I think UNL is underestimated in terms of academic standards. I posted on another thread that UNL had the most AAA's in all of the NCAA (ND was second in DIV I) and has routinely had grad rates superior than the NCAA average. That's not too shabby.

Besides, good academics are the results of the institution. I have a hard time thinking UNL's admissions office would let someone in who had no chance at success (props to the school...but Callahan still sucks. of course ;)).

Here's a nice article from December in the Nebraskan if you want to

read more.

Besides that...I'm bummed a bit. I really really wanted Weis and Minter to get a shot at Chow - and here's my early Domer Homer prediction: ND hands them their first loss next year. :)

IRISH!

Time will tell, but I suspect this will be the beginning of the end for Carrol's dynasty at USC. Chow is a genious and a major reason for their success. They might luck out and get a good replacement, but it's hard to go to hamburger, or even a good rib eye, when you're used to (no pun intended) kobe steaks.

IRISH!

I find that hard to believe. I can't see Carroll going out and getting anybody but the best. Crap who wouldn't want to coach there? There is always someone waiting in the wings. Are we talking about USC or New England?

IRISH!

I find that hard to believe. I can't see Carroll going out and getting anybody but the best. Crap who wouldn't want to coach there? There is always someone waiting in the wings. Are we talking about USC or New England?

I would think that it would have some sort of negative effect, but I have a feeling that USC will be playing in a major bowl next Jan.