No Noise

robsker

It seems to me that by now we would have heard rumblings of outstanding practice/scrimmage productivity/promise from the below players

Austin Stafford

Shawn Sullivan

Niles Paul

Blake Lawrence

William Yancy

DJ Jones

Now each is young and real excellence may still be in their futures --- but, based on "no noise" --- that is, no word of their standing out in any way, it would seem that if excellence is in their future, it is not likely to be in the immediate future.

Each of these guys were decent recruits (none LSU/USC level recruits --- but reasonably well regarded recruits nonetheless) --- and each has had some time (1-2 years) to make a mark, at least make some noise. None of them really have.

Also, only Jared Crick has generated much noise from the newest class.

Any thoughts as to why so little has been heard about these guys? perhaps they are doing well and we (or at least I) don't know

What about Helu, Castille, Prince, Asante, Burkes, Gilleylen, Adi, Marcel Jones, Zac Lee, Mendoza, Witt, Murillo, LT Washington, Blue? They were in the same class as Crick(2007). Are you thinking maybe of the class of 2008? If so, I agree, we haven't seen much from them, but many came as athletes and are kind of raw. Most are looking at a redshirt year(which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

What about Helu, Castille, Prince, Asante, Burkes, Gilleylen, Adi, Marcel Jones, Zac Lee, Mendoza, Witt, Murillo, LT Washington, Blue? They were in the same class as Crick(2007). Are you thinking maybe of the class of 2008? If so, I agree, we haven't seen much from them, but many came as athletes and are kind of raw. Most are looking at a redshirt year(which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Good point --- somehow I was thinking that Crick was a 2008 recruit. My bad.

As for the players listed, yep they have made noise and that is good. Great in fact --- though Washington and Mendoza do not seem to be making much noise.

My point was not that no young players were making noise --- many are and that is reason for encouragement. I wonder how it is though that the six or so that were mentioned who were fairly highly regarded and upon whom some expectation has been placed --- how is it that they are relatively obscure? Is it injuries? Or what?

Blake Lawrence intrigues me. He saw some time last year --- and one would have expected him to improve (most do) --- yet at least I have not noticed his name among those pointed out as major expected contributors for this next season. As you hear about LB'ers his name is conspicuously missing. Also, Niles Paul. Many expected by now that not only would he be a projected starter but also a projected star. Seemingly he won't be either, at least in the immediate future --- again he very well may come and later and be awesome. But it dos not look like he'll be a major force at least AT THE OUTSET OF THE SEASON.

Stafford --- he really looked good when recruited. Now we are really thin at LB and you hear little of him.

So, does anyone know much about these six guys? How they progressing and should we expect to see much from them this year?

Why should you single out those players? I would blame the expectations, not the players. The expectations are based on recruiting hype - and that's the problem. Why do fans continually expect young players to contribute so soon? I'm more focused on who is in the 2 deep and how they play and not worry about the young players farther down the depth chart.