Friday Football Talk

LJS Blog

Friday practice talk

Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson called Friday's first practice on the grass "a good go." Nebraska's offense started working against Western Michigan's defensive schemes. (Here's video.)

Watson said WMU "has a really good defense in terms of keeping things bottled up ... I'm really impressed with their two ends ... And their linebackers, they're probably the most underrated people in their defense because they allow the other people to play. They're good gap players."

With fall camp ending Saturday, Watson said there's no hint of backing the workouts down with the season opener coming fast.

"It's a hard game to tone down ... We've been playing ball," Watson said.

Watson said he and receivers coach Ted Gilmore are still finalizing decisions regarding the wide receiver depth chart, but it appears the top four coming out of fall camp are Nate Swift, Todd Peterson, Menelik Holt and Niles Paul.

"Nate's going to obviously be out there. Todd will be out there as starters. You'll see a lot of Niles. You'll see a lot of Menelik Holt, then from there we're still evaluating," Watson said.

Watson said Paul has had a great camp. "He, I think, brings that attitude now that he's assured. That's coming out of him."

Steven Osborne and Tim Marlowe are looking at redshirts, according to the coach, but Khiry Cooper is still "part of the mix."

The coach said a rotation is not yet set on how the running backs will be played. "We'll create touches that highlight what they do," Watson said.

About Quentin Castille, the coach heaped praise: "His style is a different style than the other two (Marlon Lucky and Roy Helu Jr.). I think this year, more than last year, he's better at his blitz pickup and that's really enhanced his game for us. He's very physical. He'll wire his hands and he'll light you up. I think that's one aspect in his game we feel more comfortable with today than we did as a freshman. ... I look at Quentin as a thumper. He's a guy you just pound people with."

Some more info from LJS:

Defensive coordinator Carl Pelini has said he thinks the defensive line can be the strength of this defense. Is that taking shape?

“We’re definitely going to be a strength of the defense. We’re the leaders of the defense, I think,” senior defensive end Zach Potter said. “Obviously you got Phillip (Dillard) at (linebacker), who’s the voice of the defense. But I think up front ... we’re the most experienced group out of the whole defense. So we’re definitely trying to take on a leadership role.”

Potter said senior Barry Turner especially looks ready to roll at the other end spot.

“Barry, he gained a little too much weight last year, but he’s slimmed down, he’s chiseled again,” Potter said. “He’s done a lot of good things in camp this year. His pass rush is back to the form I think a lot of people saw freshman year and I think that’s going to make a lot of people happy. And I think ultimately we just understand the game a lot more than we did in the past.”

What the hell am I supposed to do for the next eight days????

Man-O-Man I know what you mean!

Last year when "he" was still here and I was in deep depression, I committed to a three week on-the-water Grand Canyon float trip during football season - we launch Sat am Aug 30...........No radio, no TV, no papers, no BO news for Three Weeks!!!!

Can somebody start throwing bottles with the OWH sports page off the Glen Canyon Dam into the Colorado River? I'll find them as they float by!!!

Go Big Red from Oregon!!!

What the hell am I supposed to do for the next eight days????

Man-O-Man I know what you mean!

Last year when "he" was still here and I was in deep depression, I committed to a three week on-the-water Grand Canyon float trip during football season - we launch Sat am Aug 30...........No radio, no TV, no papers, no BO news for Three Weeks!!!!

Can somebody start throwing bottles with the OWH sports page off the Glen Canyon Dam into the Colorado River? I'll find them as they float by!!!

Go Big Red from Oregon!!!

PS:

Please add the GI Independent Sports page too, I really like their perspective as well. Send me anything; the Cambridge Clarion or the McCook Gazette......Kearney HUB...LJS....Big Red Withdrawl is an ugly thing to watch in a grown man..........