Pelini not worried about Husker's rushing game

I can't find the link, but I'm pretty sure I read in one of the numerous post-game articles that Watson told Pelini at halftime that they'd run the ball more in the second half and Pelini's response was to just play football. Without reading too much into it, it sounds like Pelini wasn't too concerned with protecting the defense - he just wanted the offense to score points.

If Western Michigan was giving up open looks downfield by bringing the safeties up so they were even with the linebackers - then why run into an 9 man front when you can just throw over them.

I agree that in the heydays of the 90's we ran against 9 and 10 man fronts and had success - but the team has changed and the offensive philosophy has changed. I think we would all agree Joe Ganz is a good enough passer and decision maker to complete a pass when he needs to. In my humble opinion - I agree with Pelini and Watson - why pound the ball for 3 yards when you can just as easily throw it for 10? That's the beauty of the offensive system we're using now.

Exactly, if the opposing team is going to give up the pass and we can throw then lets go score. But, when we play the better teams like Mizzou, Oklahoma, ect. they will challenge us to establish the run and see if they can make us one dimensional. That's when we will find out what our offense is really made of. I will be concerned when teams don't load up in the box and we can't run the ball.

so i guess the philosophy of pounding a defensive line with our big backs may not be such a viable alternative? you know, wear them down, 3 yards at a whack and pursue a relentless running attack, along with ball control? hmmmmm...got my hopes up there for awhile.. <_<

I don't think that's what this team is going for. That's old-school Osborne stuff. This isn't that type of team and probably never will be.

Besides - why run your backs into a 10 man wall when you can just toss it over their heads? Watson's words may sound cliche' - but the ease with which the offense threw the football leads me to believe its more than just coachspeak.

wmu has a 10 man WALL?

are you talking about the 5-7 mac team from last week?

NU threw the ball easily because they have the ganzinator (he's pretty damn good).

besides, wmu isn't very good (kinda suck) they finished 86th in rushing and 31st in passing last season. 83rd in rushing defense and 43rd in passing efficiency defense (whatever that is). Probably good at pass defense cuz almost everyone could run on them.

did I mention they were 5-7 last year?

....in the MAC!! ;)

naw. not a good measuring stick, the next two games won't be either.

we'll find out what this team has vs vaTech, and definitely know by the time mizzou leaves lincoln.

GO BO!!