The Pundits are wrong

typ3kal

There is NO DOUBT that we looked confused at times and weren't very good between the 20's on defense. BUT.....stopping teams in the RED ZONE is a sign of a good defense. However, it is scary that VT had that much offensive success, based on what they had produced in their first 4 games.

Our offense certainly didin't help. I thought our pass blocking was atrocious at times. They got pressure with their down 3!!!! I thought our running game was horrible. And 3 and outs have a dramatic impact on a defense, ESPECIALLY OURS, with the lack of depth in the down 4.

Its one game, I liked the fact we came back, it gives me hope. But the next two weeks, our offense better control the ball better with MU and TT's offenses coming up or it could get 2007 UGLY!!! :madash

Yes, that has an effect on the defense, but this Hokie offense has not been very good most of this year and the defense, at some points, could not stop the Hokies between the 20s. It very easily could have been much worse if the Hokies were able to keep going instead of settling for 4 field goals. The Huskers were fortunate to be in the game, period. Yes, they played hard, but the defense is still not very good. We'll see how it stacks up at the end of the year, I think they will improve, but are not going to be show stoppers. The offense's inability to run the ball and control the clock is partly to blame. If the offense could chew more of the clock by running the ball, it would make the defense look a lot better. Watson states he has confidence in the run, but if a drive or 2 stalls without getting the run established, he seems to get skittish and throw it out the window. I don't get it. They will never be able to run the ball if there is never a rhythm established in the first place.

How were they 'fortunate'? They were in the game because the defense forced 4 red zone FGs instead of GIVING UP 4 TDs. Fortune and luck had nothing to do with it. I don't remember VT kicking any field goals on second or third down, they were forced to kick FGs - not 'settle' for them. Period. Check out the 'we'll only win two more games' thread, you'll love it.

Fortunate because VT shot themselves in the foot a few times inside the red zone after marching down the field with ease. Before that last drive to pull within 5, the Huskers were outyarded nearly 2-1, were behind in turnovers, first downs, time of possession, plays, etc. Yeah, it was a close score, but if VT would have executed in the red zone, that game would have been ugly. If you're so drunk on the kool-aid that you can't recognize that Nebraska had their asses handed to them for the majority of the game in nearly every facet of the game, then I don't know what to tell you. Check out the "Bo is teh awesome and Nebraska will win out thread", I think that is more your speed. :thumbs

Yes, that has an effect on the defense, but this Hokie offense has not been very good most of this year and the defense, at some points, could not stop the Hokies between the 20s. It very easily could have been much worse if the Hokies were able to keep going instead of settling for 4 field goals. The Huskers were fortunate to be in the game, period. Yes, they played hard, but the defense is still not very good. We'll see how it stacks up at the end of the year, I think they will improve, but are not going to be show stoppers. The offense's inability to run the ball and control the clock is partly to blame. If the offense could chew more of the clock by running the ball, it would make the defense look a lot better. Watson states he has confidence in the run, but if a drive or 2 stalls without getting the run established, he seems to get skittish and throw it out the window. I don't get it. They will never be able to run the ball if there is never a rhythm established in the first place.

How were they 'fortunate'? They were in the game because the defense forced 4 red zone FGs instead of GIVING UP 4 TDs. Fortune and luck had nothing to do with it. I don't remember VT kicking any field goals on second or third down, they were forced to kick FGs - not 'settle' for them. Period. Check out the 'we'll only win two more games' thread, you'll love it.

Fortunate because VT shot themselves in the foot a few times inside the red zone after marching down the field with ease. Before that last drive to pull within 5, the Huskers were outyarded nearly 2-1, were behind in turnovers, first downs, time of possession, plays, etc. Yeah, it was a close score, but if VT would have executed in the red zone, that game would have been ugly. If you're so drunk on the kool-aid that you can't recognize that Nebraska had their asses handed to them for the majority of the game in nearly every facet of the game, then I don't know what to tell you. Check out the "Bo is teh awesome and Nebraska will win out thread", I think that is more your speed. :thumbs

Wow! Seriously? :dunno Ok, I thought the "CU is going to pound us" post was retarded. But I think this has that one topped easily. Stat's really don't always translate into wether your getting your ass handed to you or not. I'm not sure how much football you watch, but it happens every week, college and pro, were teams have no problem marching down the field but can't punch it in. I think it's idiotic that you take all the credit away from NU's defense being able to tighten up and call it "VT shooting themself in the foot".

Maybe you should take your nonsense to the CU message boards, I think their lower IQ's would suit you well.

VT didn't shoot themselves or anyone else in the foot, they didn't score TDs because we stopped them from doing so. Notice what I highlighted there, you're right it would have been ugly, but it WASN"T. Because we stopped them, and forced them to kick FGs, that's my only point. Nebraska didn't get their 'asses handed to them'. Jesus H if you want to bash the Huskers be my guest, but try for a little accuracy wil ya.

Wow! Seriously? :dunno Ok, I thought the "CU is going to pound us" post was retarded. But I think this has that one topped easily. Stat's really don't always translate into wether your getting your ass handed to you or not. I'm not sure how much football you watch, but it happens every week, college and pro, were teams have no problem marching down the field but can't punch it in. I think it's idiotic that you take all the credit away from NU's defense being able to tighten up and call it "VT shooting themself in the foot".

Maybe you should take your nonsense to the CU message boards, I think their lower IQ's would suit you well.

Look at it from an objective point of view, Nebraska was fortunate to be that close. They scratched and clawed and fought back into it, but for the most part of the game, they were outclassed. Nebraska can play better than they did, and I think they will play better than that at points this season. Nebraska tightened up in the red zone, but some of it had to do with VT not being able to punch it in. I don't know how much football you watch, but it is usually an anomaly that a team has a way with another team in between the 20s and then can't seem to get it in the end zone. Maybe it is because VT had an offense ranked in the 110s coming into that game and has been somewhat inept thus far this year. Take this to a CU board? Some of you newbs are unbelievable. :wacko: If you don't like what I have to say, fine, but don't start with the "idiotic" and "lower IQ" bull sh#t just because you don't have a good comeback. Pal, you are way out of your league and we can discuss it in the woodshed if you feel the need to go there. Otherwise, I say Go Big Red and have a nice day.

Look at it from an objective point of view, Nebraska was fortunate to be that close. They scratched and clawed and fought back into it, but for the most part of the game, they were outclassed. Nebraska can play better than they did, and I think they will play better than that at points this season. Nebraska tightened up in the red zone, but some of it had to do with VT not being able to punch it in. I don't know how much football you watch, but it is usually an anomaly that a team has a way with another team in between the 20s and then can't seem to get it in the end zone. Maybe it is because VT had an offense ranked in the 110s coming into that game and has been somewhat inept thus far this year. Take this to a CU board? Some of you newbs are unbelievable. :wacko: If you don't like what I have to say, fine, but don't start with the "idiotic" and "lower IQ" bull sh#t just because you don't have a good comeback. Pal, you are way out of your league and we can discuss it in the woodshed if you feel the need to go there. Otherwise, I say Go Big Red and have a nice day.

Way outta my league................ :rollin and I'm not your pal

How bout we don't start the "It's more your speed" crap, just because somebody doesn't agree with the football god.

"Nebraska tightened up in the red zone, but some of it had to with VT not being able to punch it in". Hmmmm. Maybe the reason they were not able to 'punch it in' had something to do with the fact the Nebraska's defense was on the f*&king field stopping them. Just a thought. Look, I've watched, played and coached this game for the better part of my forty some odd years and what I take away from the VT game is that our defense isn't as bad as most people think, if it was we woulda lost by about 4 touchdowns. That's this unbelieveable newbs humble oppinion.

I think the most disturbing thing to me about the D whether it was inside or outside of the 20's was the fact that we actually had two weeks to prepare for VT. They are mediocre offensively and they really made us look pretty bad.

That is probably one of the more disturbing things. On the other, Nebraska looked unprepared and appeared to be outplayed for the better part of the game in all 3 facets and still had a chance to win. Is that reason to be optimistic, I don't know. It's just upsetting because the game was there for the taking and they couldn't get it done.

I was fairly surprized to see how well my Huskers did. Dispite errors in every sector of the game, in the end, we still were able to keep the game within 14 points. I really thought we would get blown out ... the talent level between the two teams is just that great.

For me, the best aspect of this game was Cody Glenn. That guy is a Zach Thomas type of linebacker. I can see him taking huge jumps and I see him with NFL potential. If I were to give out a blackshirt to showcase the heart and spirit of the honor ... well, he would be my first. The guy has moved position to fill a void because he wants to be a Husker and play ... and play well and with heart ... that he did. I'll take away this moral victory from this loss.

Next week, well, it should be a major blowout, although it will be a scoring affair ... might be 50 somethin to 20 something or 30 something ... but a loss.

SheepdogMark

I thought the Huskers were going to have 8 in the box, take away the run and QB draws, and force Taylor to throw to beat them. Instead it looked like zone coverage. Their receivers had a lot of space. And VT moved the ball well enough on the ground. Just looked bad out there.

Got to regroup this week. Need to scheme better and execute. And they better bring their "A" game.

I get the feeling that practices this week will not be easy by any means.

I think with our safties, stacking 8 in the box would have been disasterous. They were out of position even when they were put in the best poss position to make the plays. 8 in the box and they would have had over 400 yards passing. Sad to say it but that is the way it looked to me. Play action would have destroyed us.

glenn had 14 tackles....amazing, his stock is going up!

I think Glenn is the biggest story for the Huskers so far this year. He has been better than could have been expected for this being his first try at LB in college. Glenn is just a ball player. Too bad he doesn't have another year or two.

It sounds refreshing that the defense had some moments, until you realize this was the same team that managed 3 whopping pts. in the first half vs. Furman. Anyone know where Furman is? Anyone know they had a football team?

Maybe we were just out-coached...who knows. But I'm very far from giving this defense any kudos.

Consider that the defense last year was one of the worst in the nation. Now that defense had Grixby, McKeon, Jones, Turner, Octavian and several DL that are gone this year. The replacements for the guys who are gone, as a group, are certainly no better (and likely, given their less experience to date, less developed) than the guys who are gone. That is to say, we had a really low talent level defense last year (poorly coached too, and one that gave up as well) --- and this year, the defense is, talent-wise no better than last year (and maybe worse).

So.... what do you guys expect? We have probably not a single defensive guy (or if so, several, at best) who could start on any top 25 team. With this dearth of talent, what do you expect to see out there?

That the defense showed grit, tenacity and never gave up is awesome. I was very impressed with the resolve and grit of the defense. Everyone knows they are a talent limited group. All you can expect is for them to play hard and hope upon hope that they can hold the opposition to a managable number of points so that our offense gives us a chance.

Do not be surprised if Missouri, TTech and Oklahoma all score 50 points or more on our defense. given the talent level (and the level of the offensive systems) at these programs versus that on the NU defense, then if we hold any of those guys under 50 it will be on grit and determination alone. This is how it is at the moment.

It strikes me that defense is well coached and playing very hard. That my friends is encouraging and is fun to watch. They are out-manned and playing up. But they have no quit in them.

Who has quit in them? The fans who are whining and calling them out. Show the tenacity and heart of the NU defense and root them on w/o ever quitting --- no matter how it goes. For our part, and fan appreciation is important, that is what we should do.

Be patient. Many points will be scored against us these next few weeks. It is to be expected. But if they (the NU defense) continues to play with heart and grit, then they will still deserve to hear our cheers.

For those of you old enough to connect with this, there was a boxer named Gerry Quarry (spelling may be wrong) who fought in the late 60's and 70's. He lost almost all the time. He was over-matched continually and was simply nowhere near the caliber (talent wise) of his competition. But he had amazing heart and fought so hard that he occasionally won. And even when he did not, he won the respect of the opponent and fans every time. He was a blast to watch (even if he was pummeled). That is what I hope the NU defense is like. Never give up and play hard even if, talent-wise, they are wildly over-matched. That we can respect. In due course the talent will come and then, if the grit remains, we'll have something special.

Wait it out folks, the right staff is in place.