How would you stop the Spread Offense?

dlrn64

What would you do to defend the Spread Offense?

An offense that manages the game and wins the time of possesion battle ie. solid running game.

Every team Missouri has played as won the time of possession battle. Conventional wisdom has been stood on its head. It takes more than a solid running game. A solid running game is fine; provided they score every possession.

You could sit here and move X's and O's till your blue in the face. You need to get a pass rush with only four guys. We don't have four guys would can rush successfully every down. Very few teams do. OU does. Which is why I think they'll run the table.

:yeah

Not many teams can do that, and that is the best way to stop the spread(at least the spread as dominant as MU runs). That 3 man line, with having Pierre Allen roving to pick a gap to attack from may work against San Jose State, but not Missouri.

The answer for you is the same as it was for us for years when we wondered how we could stop other good offenses like yours. It's no big mystery. First thing necessary is to recruit much better athletes with very good to great speed

I'm always amazed at fans talking about schemes and all the other stuff when even Vince Lombardi couldn't win when the other teams had better players than he did.

That's why the talk here when Pellini was hired about how quickly he would turn things around didn't make a lot of sense and all the talk last week about how you would keep hitting Daniel and super secret schemes and Bo learning from Stoops the secret to beating Mizzou made little or no sense. Get the athletes first.

Believe me, we at Mizzou know all about what it's like for the opponents to have far better athletes and team speed. I know first hand how it is to watch players on other teams run by players on my team.

And that's also why some now calling to replace Pelini is ludicrous. We also know at Mizzou what it's like to not have patience with coaches. Granted, I don't think any of our other last few coaches would have done what Coach Pinkel has done if given more time but then again it wasn't long ago many of our fans wanted him fired too. Thankfully for us the fans didn't make those decisions. Thankfully for you your fans won't either. And doubly thankfully for you it will be Tom Osborne rather than Steve Pederson.

Patience is very hard in our "instant gratification" world but it's a must. And this is coming from a guy who's missed only a handful of Mizzou home games since 1965 when we were very good.

You guys will get back but it won't happen overnight and it will likely never be to the degree it was under Devaney and Osborne. Those days are gone because the landscape is much different in many ways. But you can get back. Patience is the key. (and trust in the administration)

As I recall those close to the Mizzou program wanted to fire Pinkel 3 years ago because he "Pinkel'd" several games away. Now he's the greatest thing to ever happen to Mizzou football.

Some fans wanted him gone. I wouldn't say those "close to the program" did. He was never in any danger. Another similar year in 2005 and he would have been. It was clearly a case of one step backward before two steps forward.

And I don't know anyone (except the typical irrational fans) are saying he's the greatest thing ever to happen to Missouri. In the last 30 years yes, but that's not the same thing.

One other note to add to that above. Another advantage you have that we didn't at the time is your facilities. Until the last few years ours weren't very good. That has changed completely. You don't have that problem.

I'd have to look it up I thought Shatel wrote an article recently that those close to the program wanted him (Pinkel) gone after 5 seasons he was something like 29-30. Up to that point his resume consisted of a near loss to Middle Tennessee State @ home, loss to Troy and a loss to New Mexico at home was there a loss to Bowling Green too?.

Seriously looking back on it how did he last so long? (Serious question) 29-30 is not spectacular. He tried to make Brad Smith a pocket passer and failed. He lost to some pretty low ranking teams. I mean in this age of "win now" how did he survive? Even his 2006 campaign wasn't the greatest. I wonder if he told his AD that he was close to having a winner. OR that he said he was getting ready to turn college football on it's ear with his crazy spread and no huddle. Perhaps it's when he told his AD he was going to line up his OL with 4 yard spaces and sometimes he's going to put an OT out where a receiver should be.

Regardless, he's here now. To be honest it's a bit refreshing to see a school stick with a guy we don't see that much anymore. Most of us around here are glad NU didn't fire TO when he couldn't beat Oklahoma.

Crazy Tigers.

You could sit here and move X's and O's till your blue in the face. You need to get a pass rush with only four guys. We don't have four guys would can rush successfully every down. Very few teams do. OU does. Which is why I think they'll run the table.

:yeah

Not many teams can do that, and that is the best way to stop the spread(at least the spread as dominant as MU runs). That 3 man line, with having Pierre Allen roving to pick a gap to attack from may work against San Jose State, but not Missouri.

The answer for you is the same as it was for us for years when we wondered how we could stop other good offenses like yours. It's no big mystery. First thing necessary is to recruit much better athletes with very good to great speed

I'm always amazed at fans talking about schemes and all the other stuff when even Vince Lombardi couldn't win when the other teams had better players than he did.

That's why the talk here when Pellini was hired about how quickly he would turn things around didn't make a lot of sense and all the talk last week about how you would keep hitting Daniel and super secret schemes and Bo learning from Stoops the secret to beating Mizzou made little or no sense. Get the athletes first.

Believe me, we at Mizzou know all about what it's like for the opponents to have far better athletes and team speed. I know first hand how it is to watch players on other teams run by players on my team.

And that's also why some now calling to replace Pelini is ludicrous. We also know at Mizzou what it's like to not have patience with coaches. Granted, I don't think any of our other last few coaches would have done what Coach Pinkel has done if given more time but then again it wasn't long ago many of our fans wanted him fired too. Thankfully for us the fans didn't make those decisions. Thankfully for you your fans won't either. And doubly thankfully for you it will be Tom Osborne rather than Steve Pederson.

Patience is very hard in our "instant gratification" world but it's a must. And this is coming from a guy who's missed only a handful of Mizzou home games since 1965 when we were very good.

You guys will get back but it won't happen overnight and it will likely never be to the degree it was under Devaney and Osborne. Those days are gone because the landscape is much different in many ways. But you can get back. Patience is the key. (and trust in the administration)

As I recall those close to the Mizzou program wanted to fire Pinkel 3 years ago because he "Pinkel'd" several games away. Now he's the greatest thing to ever happen to Mizzou football.

Some fans wanted him gone. I wouldn't say those "close to the program" did. He was never in any danger. Another similar year in 2005 and he would have been. It was clearly a case of one step backward before two steps forward.

And I don't know anyone (except the typical irrational fans) are saying he's the greatest thing ever to happen to Missouri. In the last 30 years yes, but that's not the same thing.

One other note to add to that above. Another advantage you have that we didn't at the time is your facilities. Until the last few years ours weren't very good. That has changed completely. You don't have that problem.

I'd have to look it up I thought Shatel wrote an article recently that those close to the program wanted him (Pinkel) gone after 5 seasons he was something like 29-30. Up to that point his resume consisted of a near loss to Middle Tennessee State @ home, loss to Troy and a loss to New Mexico at home was there a loss to Bowling Green too?.

Seriously looking back on it how did he last so long? (Serious question) 29-30 is not spectacular. He tried to make Brad Smith a pocket passer and failed. He lost to some pretty low ranking teams. I mean in this age of "win now" how did he survive? Even his 2006 campaign wasn't the greatest. I wonder if he told his AD that he was close to having a winner. OR that he said he was getting ready to turn college football on it's ear with his crazy spread and no huddle. Perhaps it's when he told his AD he was going to line up his OL with 4 yard spaces and sometimes he's going to put an OT out where a receiver should be.

Regardless, he's here now. To be honest it's a bit refreshing to see a school stick with a guy we don't see that much anymore. Most of us around here are glad NU didn't fire TO when he couldn't beat Oklahoma.

Crazy Tigers.

I think there were several factors that led to the administration keeping him after 2004. In fact I've never heard any indication that it was seriously considered at all.

Mizzou had fired 5 coaches already. There was more than a few that felt the first and perhaps the first two were a mistake.

They knew the cupboard was really bare when Coach Pinkel was hired. For example one defensive back was on scholarship at the time.

Prior to 2004 the program had improved every year. In fact that was the very reason there had been such high expectations for 2004. Many, in fact I'm positive it was a majority, felt he had to have at least one more year to prove or disprove the one step backwards was a fluke.

Coach Pinkel had a solid 10 year record as a head coach at Toldeo prior to Mizzou; it's not as if he was a former assistant in his first head coaching job.

The facilities that had been pretty bad were just then beginning to get a major overhaul. There was no doubt that previous coaches as well as Coach Pinkel had been handicapped in recruting because of that.

Taking the emotion out of the equation it made a lot more sense to give him one more year, the first with 100% of his recruits, rather than fire yet another coach and start over yet again.

There were other examples of schools staying with a coach through losing seasons and being rewarded. Bill McCartney at Colorado is a prime example. Frank Beamer at VaTech is another.

As I said it was a lot more about vocal fans on internet message boards than it was the administration thinking of firing him.

i would use the shotgun.

not the formation, LITERALLY a shotgun.

to daniels head? i mean no shotguns are bad...give me a power i...

The following statement is a JOKE

A spit wad to the head?

The previous statement was a JOKE

PS Herbuckeyestreit is now on ESPN. He is really hoarse. What team was he cheering for? He just said TTech is the most over-rated

i would use the shotgun.

not the formation, LITERALLY a shotgun.

to daniels head? i mean no shotguns are bad...give me a power i...

The following statement is a JOKE

A spit wad to the head?

The previous statement was a JOKE

PS Herbuckeyestreit is now on ESPN. He is really hoarse. What team was he cheering for? He just said TTech is the most over-rated