How would you stop the Spread Offense?

dlrn64

What would you do to defend the Spread Offense? I would mix it up more defensively I think. One plan that I would do is have 4 DL guys, and then have the DB's play close to the line of scrimmage and tell them to really knock the guys going out for passes off their routes and make them pay before they ever get into their route. That would give the rushers time to get to the QB and you would possibly tire out the WR's and RB's a little bit more. You have to disrupt the patterns and you have to do it ebfore the players get into it to have a chance. Then you mix in a Safety or LB blitz almost every down (disguise it well though).

Too many times I see the WR's (and TE's and RB's) just get off the line of scrimmage too easily and you have to be on those guys before they get going. It certainly couldn't be any worse than what we saw last night, could it?

That would be something I would try at least for a series to see if it worked.

Any other ideas?

What would you do to defend the Spread Offense? I would mix it up more defensively I think. One plan that I would do is have 4 DL guys, and then have the DB's play close to the line of scrimmage and tell them to really knock the guys going out for passes off their routes and make them pay before they ever get into their route. That would give the rushers time to get to the QB and you would possibly tire out the WR's and RB's a little bit more. You have to disrupt the patterns and you have to do it ebfore the players get into it to have a chance. Then you mix in a Safety or LB blitz almost every down (disguise it well though).

Too many times I see the WR's (and TE's and RB's) just get off the line of scrimmage too easily and you have to be on those guys before they get going. It certainly couldn't be any worse than what we saw last night, could it?

That would be something I would try at least for a series to see if it worked.

Any other ideas?

For Nebraska to stop the Spread Offense, we first must learn how to tackle. When we learn how to tackle, we can stop any type of offense.

First, you recruit some speed on defense so you can play man to man and bump and run. The spread is all about timing. Disrupt the timing and you can slow it down. You also need to throw in different coverages, different blitz packages. Oh yeah, and learn how to tackle would be huge.

Until we get the athletes on defense, the best defense is a ball control offense. Shorten the game. Keep the opposing defense on the field as much as possible and wear them down. But wait, we couldn't run the ball versus a group of girl scouts. The zone blocking scheme is garbage. Get rid of it. Put a hat on a hat, lead with a fullback, not a fricken TE, and run behind the fullback. That will establish the play action pass, short crossing patterns, etc.

We are in trouble if we can't establish a ground game. No bowl game for the 3rd time since Solich was fired. I believe in Bo and think he'll turn it around. A great saying I've heard once applies here. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken $h1t.

Once again, thank you Steve Pederson for not allowing us to gravitate toward mediocrity. Being terrible is so much more satisfying. :sarcasm

then have the DB's play close to the line of scrimmage and tell them to really knock the guys going out for passes off their routes and make them pay before they ever get into their route.

I think that's the right approach, but for it to work you need DBs that can bump a guy on the line and then have the athleticism to run with him down the field. We don't have DBs that can do that with the receivers that Missouri has.

I think the reason our DBs were mostly playing 5 or so yards off was because they didn't have that athleticism, so you sit em back a little bit to prevent WRs from going over the top and you give your DBs a chance to jump some of the short routes and see if you can create some turnovers.

Obviously that game plan didn't work. But I don't think there was no way we were going to defend this spread offense. Let's face it. They're pretty good.

then have the DB's play close to the line of scrimmage and tell them to really knock the guys going out for passes off their routes and make them pay before they ever get into their route.

I think that's the right approach, but for it to work you need DBs that can bump a guy on the line and then have the athleticism to run with him down the field. We don't have DBs that can do that with the receivers that Missouri has.

I think the reason our DBs were mostly playing 5 or so yards off was because they didn't have that athleticism, so you sit em back a little bit to prevent WRs from going over the top and you give your DBs a chance to jump some of the short routes and see if you can create some turnovers.

Obviously that game plan didn't work. But I don't think there was no way we were going to defend this spread offense. Let's face it. They're pretty good.

I believe you're both correct. I've been saying for years now that, NU specfically, needs to jam them so they cant ever get into the route. But, as DC put it, the DBs have to be able stay with them once they do past the rub. Of course the other thought is that if the D Line is good enough, the QB wont have time to wait for the WRs to fight off the rub.

You could sit here and move X's and O's till your blue in the face. You need to get a pass rush with only four guys. We don't have four guys would can rush successfully every down. Very few teams do. OU does. Which is why I think they'll run the table.

:yeah

Not many teams can do that, and that is the best way to stop the spread(at least the spread as dominant as MU runs). That 3 man line, with having Pierre Allen roving to pick a gap to attack from may work against San Jose State, but not Missouri.

You could sit here and move X's and O's till your blue in the face. You need to get a pass rush with only four guys. We don't have four guys would can rush successfully every down. Very few teams do. OU does. Which is why I think they'll run the table.

Not many teams can do that, and that is the best way to stop the spread(at least the spread as dominant as MU runs). That 3 man line, with having Pierre Allen roving to pick a gap to attack from may work against San Jose State, but not Missouri.

The answer for you is the same as it was for us for years when we wondered how we could stop other good offenses like yours. It's no big mystery. First thing necessary is to recruit much better athletes with very good to great speed

I'm always amazed at fans talking about schemes and all the other stuff when even Vince Lombardi couldn't win when the other teams had better players than he did.

That's why the talk here when Pellini was hired about how quickly he would turn things around didn't make a lot of sense and all the talk last week about how you would keep hitting Daniel and super secret schemes and Bo learning from Stoops the secret to beating Mizzou made little or no sense. Get the athletes first.

Believe me, we at Mizzou know all about what it's like for the opponents to have far better athletes and team speed. I know first hand how it is to watch players on other teams run by players on my team.

And that's also why some now calling to replace Pelini is ludicrous. We also know at Mizzou what it's like to not have patience with coaches. Granted, I don't think any of our other last few coaches would have done what Coach Pinkel has done if given more time but then again it wasn't long ago many of our fans wanted him fired too. Thankfully for us the fans didn't make those decisions. Thankfully for you your fans won't either. And doubly thankfully for you it will be Tom Osborne rather than Steve Pederson.

Patience is very hard in our "instant gratification" world but it's a must. And this is coming from a guy who's missed only a handful of Mizzou home games since 1965 when we were very good.

You guys will get back but it won't happen overnight and it will likely never be to the degree it was under Devaney and Osborne. Those days are gone because the landscape is much different in many ways. But you can get back. Patience is the key. (and trust in the administration)

The answer for you is the same as it was for us for years when we wondered how we could stop other good offenses like yours. It's no big mystery. First thing necessary is to recruit much better athletes with very good to great speed

I'm always amazed at fans talking about schemes and all the other stuff when even Vince Lombardi couldn't win when the other teams had better players than he did.

That's why the talk here when Pellini was hired about how quickly he would turn things around didn't make a lot of sense and all the talk last week about how you would keep hitting Daniel and super secret schemes and Bo learning from Stoops the secret to beating Mizzou made little or no sense. Get the athletes first.

Believe me, we at Mizzou know all about what it's like for the opponents to have far better athletes and team speed. I know first hand how it is to watch players on other teams run by players on my team.

And that's also why some now calling to replace Pelini is ludicrous. We also know at Mizzou what it's like to not have patience with coaches. Granted, I don't think any of our other last few coaches would have done what Coach Pinkel has done if given more time but then again it wasn't long ago many of our fans wanted him fired too. Thankfully for us the fans didn't make those decisions. Thankfully for you your fans won't either. And doubly thankfully for you it will be Tom Osborne rather than Steve Pederson.

Patience is very hard in our "instant gratification" world but it's a must. And this is coming from a guy who's missed only a handful of Mizzou home games since 1965 when we were very good.

You guys will get back but it won't happen overnight and it will likely never be to the degree it was under Devaney and Osborne. Those days are gone because the landscape is much different in many ways. But you can get back. Patience is the key. (and trust in the administration)

As I recall those close to the Mizzou program wanted to fire Pinkel 3 years ago because he "Pinkel'd" several games away. Now he's the greatest thing to ever happen to Mizzou football.

As I recall those close to the Mizzou program wanted to fire Pinkel 3 years ago because he "Pinkel'd" several games away. Now he's the greatest thing to ever happen to Mizzou football.

Some fans wanted him gone. I wouldn't say those "close to the program" did. He was never in any danger. Another similar year in 2005 and he would have been. It was clearly a case of one step backward before two steps forward.

And I don't know anyone (except the typical irrational fans) are saying he's the greatest thing ever to happen to Missouri. In the last 30 years yes, but that's not the same thing.

One other note to add to that above. Another advantage you have that we didn't at the time is your facilities. Until the last few years ours weren't very good. That has changed completely. You don't have that problem.