Officiating

Dave M.

No they were actually alright in this game. There was this one time where the KU QB shouldve got intentional grounding called but they didn't call it. But then after they discussed they called it. The Baylor refs would have never done that. The officiating wasn't bad this game, they called some penalties on Kansas, but of course we get penalties cause you know thats what we do. They were probably deserved.

I've seen alot worse, which is sad. The intentional grounding call I thought made the crew look pretty bad, or at a minimum indecisive. But, crowd noise or not, they wound up getting it right.

The facemask thing continues to bug me. I understand the rule change - no incidental anymore - but to my understanding it was designed to eliminate the ticky tacky slaps that occur on nearly every play, not to make them all 15 yarders. If you grab another player by the mask and pull on it, or worse yet, tackle him with it you run a risk of causing serious injury and should be absolutely penalized to the max. If it's simply incidental: let it go...as per the new rule. Simply my oppinion.

Officials are human, they are going to make mistakes. I think you have to either prove they are biased, or totally incompetent and the Big 12 should replace them, or even suspend them. But you don't want them to be afraid to make a call either.

I also believe that you have to choose your battles. I don't think you necessarily need to publicly air this kind of stuff when you win, I think you need to focus more on the calls that may have cost your team a win, or even a score in a tight game.

This is the day of the video, these guys can't do anything without someone pulling up a video and proving how they were wrong. I firmly believe that officials have always made mistakes, they just haven't had every game have every imaginable angle covered like they do now. Let the league use their judgment, and deal with the officials they feel they need to deal with, with post-game input from the schools. I don't think it is necessary to crucify an official, until it is apparent that his is either biased, don't understand the rules, is blind, or has a gambling problem and is being bought. Then get rid of him.

These guys will make mistakes, they sometimes don't see what they think they are seeing in a split second. I think the league probably talks weekly to them about what they are seeing, what the coaches are seeing from their perspective, and if there is a trend, suggesting that it be dealt with.

I thought it was one of the better officiating games...but thats just me. The only thing that pissed me off was the intentional grounding call that the refs had to call only because of the croud. There were a few no calls but it has been worse in other games this year.

I agree with ya. I didn't think the officiating was that bad. It has been a lot worse in other games. At least they made some calls against the opponent this game. And although late, they did make the correct intentional grounding call.

This was my fourth home game this year & the referees are the only consistent group on the field most of the time. I don't pin game results on the refs but have noticed that there has been numerous missed or botched calls both for the Big Red and on the Big Red. Holding goes on every play @ every position and other than Mike Smith @ Texas Tech, I don't think I have seen more than 3 holds called in a game. I like letting the players play but this is ridiculous. The intentional grounding call has so bad it was funny. The ball never got within 10 yds of the LOS and Reesing was still in the pocket, @ least they talked it over and got it right which they get props for. The Briscoe drop/fumble is not in their hands. It is a very quick judgment call that the booth or Bo could only challenge. Different angles make that play look like it could have gone either way. Another call that could have been on us was Suh's hit to the helmet on Reesing near the end, a no call that would probably cost Suh $15,000 in the NFL. :cop:

The refs have been bad in my opinion but at least for the most part they have been equally bad. Also remember that Big 8 refs disliked TO, but that was he was brutally honest on their postgame evaluations & called them out for missed calls.

If we have to rely on the officials calls to determine whether we win or lose...that is pretty damn sad. We need to just drop the subject, because it won't help our cause if we are sounding like a bunch of crybabies. Officials are like anyone else, they like a little respect, if you are going to constantly berate or criticize them, expect their human nature to take over, and don't expect any close calls going in your direction.

This was my fourth home game this year & the referees are the only consistent group on the field most of the time. I don't pin game results on the refs but have noticed that there has been numerous missed or botched calls both for the Big Red and on the Big Red. Holding goes on every play @ every position and other than Mike Smith @ Texas Tech, I don't think I have seen more than 3 holds called in a game. I like letting the players play but this is ridiculous. The intentional grounding call has so bad it was funny. The ball never got within 10 yds of the LOS and Reesing was still in the pocket, @ least they talked it over and got it right which they get props for. The Briscoe drop/fumble is not in their hands. It is a very quick judgment call that the booth or Bo could only challenge. Different angles make that play look like it could have gone either way. Another call that could have been on us was Suh's hit to the helmet on Reesing near the end, a no call that would probably cost Suh $15,000 in the NFL. :cop:

The refs have been bad in my opinion but at least for the most part they have been equally bad. Also remember that Big 8 refs disliked TO, but that was he was brutally honest on their postgame evaluations & called them out for missed calls.

If the Briscoe drop was not a fumble then no way in hell the McNeil fumble against OU was a fumble. Mike only got 1 foot down. I think it is amazing the inconsistencies with officiating across the NCAA. Yesterday I saw a couple of drops/fumbles that sure looked like fumbles that the refs called incomplete passes, yet the fumble last week still looks like a dropped pass.

Did anybody record the game? Take a look at what down it was when the intentional grounding was called. If I am not mistaken, that call warrants a loss of down? Pretty sure it was second down when it was called. So should have been third down. From what I saw Kansas got an extra down. Not sure though.

They lost the down on that play....