Chris Brooks

np_husker

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

For anyone who’s ever asked, “Where is Chris Brooks?” just know that Chris Brooks heard your question.

Plenty of times.

“You hear stuff, ‘When’s Chris Brooks going to show up? When’s this? When’s that?’” Brooks said. “That just drove me to continue to grind.”

A junior wide receiver from St. Louis, Brooks came to Nebraska with lofty expectations. Lofty, at least, by the standards of recruiting services.

That isn’t, however, the only source of motivation for Brooks, who caught his first career touchdown pass Saturday against Kansas.

“I mean, I’ve got a son at home,” said Brooks, whose 4-year-old son, Chris Brooks Jr., lives in St. Louis. “That’s big to me. I didn’t want to be looked at as a quitter, or I walked out on my team.

“Don’t get me wrong. The thought goes through my mind, ‘Why in the hell am I doing this? Why am I here?’ But I’ve got a son at home, and I wanted to always instill in him, ‘Don’t quit at anything.’ I knew that I could play here, and I still believe that I can play here.”

Fans have seen little of Brooks, who said he struggled to adjust to the speed of the game and a challenging playbook when he arrived in the fall of 2005. He never emerged from a corps of receivers that’s included Terrence Nunn, Maurice Purify, Frantz Hardy, Nate Swift, Todd Peterson and Menelik Holt.

But coaches and players have seen Brooks’ strong character and great attitude. With this staff, Holt said, that doesn’t go unnoticed. It’s evident by the fact coaches have twice this season named Brooks a team captain, representing the special teams.

“Sometimes coaches get so caught up in stats and how you get on the field as opposed to the things you contribute to the team off the field,” Holt said. “Chris is a guy that adds a lot of character to this team.”

Brooks, who plays on kickoff return and punt coverage, was especially fired up the week of practice before the Missouri game, what with him facing his home state university. He was pleased to be selected a captain for that game.

“But the Oklahoma one, it caught me off-guard,” Brooks said of being chosen a captain for that game. “It’s a great privilege. We have so many leaders.”

Brooks, though, is among the unnoticed ones.

“He’s a heart-of-the-team player,” Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said. “He does everything we ask him to do. You can count him in every facet. You can count on Chris. We trust him. That’s a compliment to him and how he’s handled his business inside our program.”

When asked why it’s taken Brooks so long to emerge on the field — Brooks has just three career catches — Watson said there’s no one particular reason.

“You never know that,” Watson said. “I’ve just gotten around Chris the last couple of years, and I just see him as a young player who had to develop. Three years ago when I came here, and where he is today, he’s just a totally different person, in terms of his maturity. You see his character.”

Brooks said he’s been patient in his role as a backup, a player who’s had to wait his turn and keep grinding, waiting for an opportunity. That opportunity came recently when Holt was temporarily sidelined with a knee injury.

Brooks saw more reps as a result, and with Nebraska in a tight battle with Kansas, he came through with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Joe Ganz to tie the game before halftime.

“We run that play a lot. It just happened that we got the coverage that we wanted and I popped open,” Brooks said. “The line held up, Joe did his part and I just made the catch.”

Perhaps that reception answered some questions on Brooks’ whereabouts. But it’s not going to change Brooks as a person, or the way he approaches practice.

He’s still the same old Chris Brooks, he said. Only now, others can see him, too.

“I’m just trying to be myself and not be someone else,” Brooks said. “You get a lot of guys who portray different things out of the spotlight. I just try to be myself.

“I love all my teammates. This is my family. I’ve always been the type of person that when you have people you care about, you treat them right. You do anything in your power to make them happy, and they’ll do the same for you.”

Class Act!! I have never once heard anything about Chris Brooks complaining about playing time, etc. I was always surprised a little with that because he was a fairly highly touted recruit coming in with alot of hype. I have always wondered why he hasn't come along better than he has, but I will say I have never heard about the guy complaining. This article really shows the great character Chris has, congrats Chris, and good luck in all you do.

Class Act!! I have never once heard anything about Chris Brooks complaining about playing time, etc. I was always surprised a little with that because he was a fairly highly touted recruit coming in with alot of hype. I have always wondered why he hasn't come along better than he has, but I will say I have never heard about the guy complaining. This article really shows the great character Chris has, congrats Chris, and good luck in all you do.

:yeah

Chris Brooks=Team Player!! I know there are more like him that put in the time during the week and don't get noticed on Saturdays.