NU to the Big 1O?

UGA, nobody that matters take US News rankings seriously*. Maybe some parents that would be like "Well, MY kid attends a better school than YOUR kids, if you don't believe me, check out the OMG SUPER OFFICIAL SCHOOL RANKINGS." It's not even half as legit as the BCS (and let's face it...) It's some convoluted computerized formula that they tweak every so often and it's absolute garbage. Using it to back up any arguments is a hundred times worse than citing a Wikipedia article in your doctorate thesis.

To be fair, it may not be entirely US News' fault, because really, attempting to empirically rank all the universities in the US is a pointless endeavor.

* - in this case, the peeps in charge of the Big 10

UGA, nobody that matters take US News rankings seriously. Maybe some parents that would be like "Well, MY kid attends a better school than YOUR kids, if you don't believe me, check out the OMG SUPER OFFICIAL SCHOOL RANKINGS. It's not even half as legit as the BCS (and let's face it...) It's some convoluted computerized formula that they tweak every so often and it's absolute garbage. Using it to back up any arguments is a hundred times worse than citing a Wikipedia article in your doctorate thesis.

To be fair, it may not be entirely US News' fault, because really, attempting to empirically rank all the universities in the US is a pointless endeavor.

This is the usual statement that comes from someone who went to Northwest Missouri State or somewhere like that. I realize that it isn't fair that everyone can't go to one of the higher ranked institutions, but rankings, nevertheless, matter. Why are Harvard grads more likely to get into a top graduate school than an Oklahoma grad if grades are the same? Rankings matter. Why are starting salaries for lawyers from a T-14 school or a Top Tier MBA program paid three times as much as those from T4 programs? Rankings matter.

Big Ten Official: "Hey Commissioner , we need to add a school to the conference so we can increase our annual revenue by several million dollars..."

Commissioner: "Go to the lobby of the administration building and get me that copy of U.S. News. Only top 75 is going to work!"

Do you think an Ivy League official would have the same conversation with the commissioner? Of course not. Consider with this with the fact that the Ivy League Conference as it is known today was founded AFTER the Big 10.

Bottom Line: Nebraska will not be going to the Big 10.

Do you think an Ivy League official would have the same conversation with the commissioner? Of course not. Consider with this with the fact that the Ivy League Conference as it is known today was founded AFTER the Big 10.

The post was a sarcastic heightened reality on the works of what goes into selecting a member instiution for a conference. And what does conference tenure that have to do with anything?

I don't think Nebraska will ever wind up in the Big 10. However, I think they would take Missouri (ranked lower than Nebraska on your list), if given the opportunity.

This is the usual statement that comes from someone who went to Northwest Missouri State or somewhere like that. I realize that it isn't fair that everyone can't go to one of the higher ranked institutions, but rankings, nevertheless, matter. Why are Harvard grads more likely to get into a top graduate school than an Oklahoma grad if grades are the same? Rankings matter. Why are starting salaries for lawyers from a T-14 school or a Top Tier MBA program paid three times as much as those from T4 programs? Rankings matter.

Sorry. I attend an institution that's ranked higher than UGA. :box Nice try, though. (incidentally, Georgia is one of the better public universities in the country and I'm not knocking it at all).

Do you honestly believe students at the nation's top schools put any stock in the US News Rankings? Look, I am not going to argue that Nebraska is not even close to having the academic standards of UMichigan, which is one of the finest public universities in the entire country. I am not even going to argue that Harvard is not a good school, or any of these things you are suggesting. I am not arguing that "top schools", "okay schools", and "lower-tier schools" are classifications that don't exist. Not at all.

What I am saying is that the US News Rankings are complete garbage. The powers that be gave the BCS the wherewithal to determine the most "official" rankings in the land. NOBODY gave US News that power. They're just putting some rankings out there. Based on some formulas. Anyone who takes a look at those rankings and thinks, "Gee. Cornell must be not as good a school as Dartmouth" is being utterly naive.

There are so many things that go into how "good" a school is, and you cannot quantify it or trust any magazine to be able to quantify it for you. When you're taking a school ranked in the 70s and comparing it with a school ranked in the 90s and saying, "Well, this school is clearly not in the same class," well, that is what we call "not a fact."

Nebraska will not be going to the Big 10, but not because of its US News Ranking. You could make an argument that Nebraska's academic standards are too low (although, some of these Big Ten schools...). But using US News to justify that is completely ridiculous.

UGA, nobody that matters take US News rankings seriously. Maybe some parents that would be like "Well, MY kid attends a better school than YOUR kids, if you don't believe me, check out the OMG SUPER OFFICIAL SCHOOL RANKINGS. It's not even half as legit as the BCS (and let's face it...) It's some convoluted computerized formula that they tweak every so often and it's absolute garbage. Using it to back up any arguments is a hundred times worse than citing a Wikipedia article in your doctorate thesis.

Big Ten Official: "Hey Commissioner , we need to add a school to the conference so we can increase our annual revenue by several million dollars..."

Commissioner: "Go to the lobby of the administration building and get me that copy of U.S. News. Only top 75 is going to work!"

oooooh darn! i was really hopin we would :sarcasm

1. Cornell is not as good as Dartmouth, hence its reputation as the "easy Ivy" (not a US NEWS term by the way). Both are jokes of the Ivy League however.

2. You better believe that as a graduate of top ranked Master's program I still care what the program's ranking is. The ranking as well as the reputation will be large factors that admissions committees use when deciding to admit me to their PhD program.

3. You didn't address the Law or B-School claims.

4. I admit that the system may not be perfect, but what should the preferred way of rankings schools be?

5. UGA is in Athens, best looking girls, second best greek system, most bars per-capita of any city in the US, football team with the most talent and least discipline/coaching (hence my ever-growing disdain).

1. Cornell is not as good as Dartmouth, hence its reputation as the "easy Ivy" (not a US NEWS term by the way). Both are jokes of the Ivy League however.

2. You better believe that as a graduate of top ranked Master's program I still care what the program's ranking is. The ranking as well as the reputation will be large factors that admissions committees use when deciding to admit me to their PhD program.

4. I admit that the system may not be perfect, but what should the preferred way of rankings schools be?

5. UGA is in Athens, best looking girls, second best greek system, most bars per-capita of any city in the US, football team with the most talent and least discipline/coaching (hence my ever-growing disdain).

I've been to Athens, is the diner still downtown? (The Diner maybe?)

So should Stanford (#4) vote to oust Arizona State (#121) from the Pac-10.

Sure makes that Women of the Pac 10 issue of Playboy less interesting.

If the Big 10 expanded, and couldn't get Notre Dame, I could see them going after Pitt. This gives Penn State an in-conference rival and bridges them closer to the rest of the Big 10.

I've thought about this and although geographically it makes sense, I don't know if it fits into what a the conference would want. As it stands Pitt is about the No. 4 show in the city of Pittsburgh, and there is more of a Penn State following there. Thus you don't necessarily add any additional revenue.

EDIT: Also, Pitt can contend yearly for a BCS berth in the Big East...joining the Big 10 would make life much tougher for them.

UGA, I think Cornell is a much better university than Dartmouth. They have so many fields there and they kind of rock at pretty much all of them. Dartmouth is a much smaller liberal arts college. Sure, it's more selective, but I'm not too too impressed with it. Keep in mind that Cornell is partially a public school, although I don't know how much this affects its acceptance rate.

The jokes of the Ivy League? Yeah, OK, whatever (I'm lookin' at you, Brown!) Cornell is one of the premier research institutions in the country, and how prestige whores regard it is not of particular importance. Schools like Cornell and Berkeley really get no respect in the US News Rankings. But that's how their formula works.

However, I will allow that Dartmouth is also a great school and will respect your opinion if you really believe so based on more than US News and "reputations". To clarify my point in the last post, some people will think Dartmouth is better, some will think Cornell is better. That's OK. Just don't base it on the fact that Dartmouth is some spots ahead of Cornell in the US News Rankings. One last edit; just for the record, Dartmouth Engineering does not hold a freakin' match to Cornell, never mind a candle. :D

2. Rankings for graduate schools are somewhat more important, this is true. As I recall, these rankings are based primarily (maybe even exclusively?) on peer perception.

3. Would you like me to? Because Harvard's program is very good and very well known. But Harvard made its own name. US News didn't make it for them.

4. What "system"? Again, this is not the BCS, where the BCS actually is "the system." These are just some rankings that some rag put out there. There are hundreds of different rankings you can see; all of them don't matter because you just cannot head-to-head quantify any given school as being empirically "better" than another.

5. Haha :)

Sorry. I attend an institution that's ranked higher than UGA. :box Nice try, though. (incidentally, Georgia is one of the better public universities in the country and I'm not knocking it at all).

Do you honestly believe students at the nation's top schools put any stock in the US News Rankings? Look, I am not going to argue that Nebraska is not even close to having the academic standards of UMichigan, which is one of the finest public universities in the entire country. I am not even going to argue that Harvard is not a good school, or any of these things you are suggesting. I am not arguing that "top schools", "okay schools", and "lower-tier schools" are classifications that don't exist. Not at all.

What I am saying is that the US News Rankings are complete garbage. The powers that be gave the BCS the wherewithal to determine the most "official" rankings in the land. NOBODY gave US News that power. They're just putting some rankings out there. Based on some formulas. Anyone who takes a look at those rankings and thinks, "Gee. Cornell must be not as good a school as Dartmouth" is being utterly naive.

There are so many things that go into how "good" a school is, and you cannot quantify it or trust any magazine to be able to quantify it for you. When you're taking a school ranked in the 70s and comparing it with a school ranked in the 90s and saying, "Well, this school is clearly not in the same class," well, that is what we call "not a fact."

Nebraska will not be going to the Big 10, but not because of its US News Ranking. You could make an argument that Nebraska's academic standards are too low (although, some of these Big Ten schools...). But using US News to justify that is completely ridiculous.

But UGA will try.

BS. I graduated from Cornell. Stop talking about sh!t you know nothing about.