NU to the Big 1O?

The question of "whether NU should bolt to the Big 1O" if and when the opportunity arises was mentioned on another board. I don't subscribe to that board.

To me, it would be a death knell for the program. NU has a HUGE following throughout Big 12 country, including Texas where I live. Lots of Texas recruits go to NU because NU has so much visibility here. A lot of kids go to NU because, while it's a bit farther north, it's still in the Big 12 and mom and dad can make some games.

A good part of that would DIE if NU joined the Rust Belt conference. It would FOREVER change the complexion and perception of Nebraska from a midwest/south-type program to a north/ice cold/isolated program.

I hope such an idea is never floated. Everything to lose, little if anything to gain.

it would more than likely be Missouri

ISU..???

Big 10 would never want them...they bring no history, fan/alumni base or relevant media markets, where as Missouri has Kansas City and St. Louis (more tv $$).

media markets are not as relevant in the BIG 10 since they have their own network.

The question of "whether NU should bolt to the Big 1O" if and when the opportunity arises was mentioned on another board. I don't subscribe to that board.

To me, it would be a death knell for the program. NU has a HUGE following throughout Big 12 country, including Texas where I live. Lots of Texas recruits go to NU because NU has so much visibility here. A lot of kids go to NU because, while it's a bit farther north, it's still in the Big 12 and mom and dad can make some games.

A good part of that would DIE if NU joined the Rust Belt conference. It would FOREVER change the complexion and perception of Nebraska from a midwest/south-type program to a north/ice cold/isolated program.

I hope such an idea is never floated. Everything to lose, little if anything to gain.

:bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

It is going to be a long off season!!

regardless the insanity of this thread (i guess that what makes it so much fun :dumdum ), if anyone ever leaves the Big 12, first in line running for teh door would be Colorado for the Pac 10 if and when it decides to sack up and become a real conference by having a championship game.

they considered it 13 years ago, however now it seems like adding Utah and BYU would be more of a natural fit in terms of geography. In addition, that would also keep the in-state rivalry thing they've got going on amongst the conference (Arizona-ASU, UCLA-USC, Oregon-Oregon St., etc.). Wouldn't Utah want to bolt after this season as it is?

Now, if the Pac-10 or Big 10 ever added teams, they would be forcing a conference championship game. Because of the Rose Bowl, neither conference would develop such a game without the other doing so. Thus coming back to the question as to who would the Big 10 add? Notre Dame will never affiliate with a conference, so long as it get millions from NBC. Missouri brings population, recruitng geography and money. And they are seriously disadvantaged when compared to the Texas schools in the Bg 12.

here's a few links:

link

link

link