Callahan has accepted!!

N Zone

Guest Patrick Casser

Bill Callahan. Are Huskers fans excited about this hire? I live in the Bay Area and have followed his Raiders years somewhat closely. I think he is a good football coach and a good guy, but he arrives in Lincoln with some baggage. Also, I thought NU would get a more dynamic personality, Callahan appears very staid to me.

First, I commend NU for hiring this guy despite the recent media beating he took from his former players. Some of the shots lobbed at him by WR Tim Brown were unfair and made out of pure bitterness on Brown's part. I think Callahan will be better suited to college where he understands the tradition of college football.

He was dealt some bad cards in Oakland (which may be the worst coaching position in all of sports) but I think he didn't always handle the problems as well as he could have. For example, CB Charles Woodson bad-mouthed the coaching staff nearly all season long and Callahan waited until the final meaningless game of the season to suspend/deactivate him. He should have done it earlier in the season when the team had a chance to turn things around not when the season was essentially over - I thought he looked petty at that point.

With that said, I think his style will play better to college players where he will instantly garner more respect because of his long coaching resume.

What do you Husker fans think of the new coach?

Originally posted by Patrick Casser:

Bill Callahan. Are Huskers fans excited about this hire? I live in the Bay Area and have followed his Raiders years somewhat closely. I think he is a good football coach and a good guy, but he arrives in Lincoln with some baggage. Also, I thought NU would get a more dynamic personality, Callahan appears very staid to me.

The same could be said of Tom Osborne, and he did pretty well…

Ultimately, it comes down to how he is perceived by recruits. Does he connect one-on-one? Do parents like him? Does he appear honest, genuine, and interested in the kid as both a student and an athlete?

I don’t know, but my gut says, “Yes”.

First, I commend NU for hiring this guy despite the recent media beating he took from his former players. Some of the shots lobbed at him by WR Tim Brown were unfair and made out of pure bitterness on Brown's part. I think Callahan will be better suited to college where he understands the tradition of college football.

He was dealt some bad cards in Oakland (which may be the worst coaching position in all of sports) but I think he didn't always handle the problems as well as he could have. For example, CB Charles Woodson bad-mouthed the coaching staff nearly all season long and Callahan waited until the final meaningless game of the season to suspend/deactivate him. He should have done it earlier in the season when the team had a chance to turn things around not when the season was essentially over - I thought he looked petty at that point.

A lot of that could be attributed to the difference in the pro world and the college world. College kids are more amenable to following the lead of the coach. And Oakland has always been a hotbed for discontent, it seems - or at least it seems to foster a setting in which players feel they can air the dirty laundry.

With that said, I think his style will play better to college players where he will instantly garner more respect because of his long coaching resume.

I agree. When he tells a recruit that he can prepare him for a pro career if the recruit has the talent, he has instant credibility.

Hey guys. Well I am real glad to find a place to discuss exciting Husker stuff like this with everyone. Im real pumped up about Coach Callahan. I think hes a GREAT hire, and we are very fortunate. Im not sure that Steve didnt back his way into it, but who cares, this is awesome!!

Well just wanted to say hey to everyone, welcome to Lincoln Coach Callahan, and Go Big RED!!!

NU ERA!!

I was also glad to see this hire, and to see everything settle down so we can get on with the real business. Bill Callahan seems to be prepared to do good things in a place like Lincoln with all the resources at his disposal. Steve is going to give this guy everything he needs to suceed, b/c they have a mutually fulfilling or unfulfilling relationship. I like the fact that he has connections to Alvarez, who is a good character guy.

Im not concerned about his previous turmoil in choakland. Those guys are such overpaid spolied brats that its not even worth discussing. Sure he may not have gotten along w/everyone, but of course those are what the media focuses on.

I dont see Bill retaining Gill. With his talks of the West Coast Offense, it wont be tough for them to say he just doesnt have the experience we need. Convenient I should say. For SP that is. Its been obvious that he wanted most of the staff gone since the Solich wacking, but knew his public image couldnt afford another hit. He figured he had nothing to lose by waiting until after he hired a new coach to let him do the dirty work, which is somewhat expected and Callahan wont take too much heat for it, b/c "he has to do what he has to do", and "its his team now, and Turner just doesnt have the skillsets to run the WCO.. " blah blah blah. It will be a lot easier for people to swallow coming from the new "man", rather than "The Man" who ganked Frank. I also see Cotton wacked. If BC is calling his own plays, what need will he have for the old BC?

Yes many changes are still on the way folks, and Im afraid they have been decided for quite a while now. And since they are inevitable I say sooner rather than later. Probably by early next week Id say, b/c now Steve has his new "face" in BC, who can afford some black eyes. Steve is fresh out of eyes, and better cover that third one just in case. I heard HuckFuskers is on the loose.

I was also glad to see this hire, and to see everything settle down so we can get on with the real business. Bill Callahan seems to be prepared to do good things in a place like Lincoln with all the resources at his disposal. Steve is going to give this guy everything he needs to suceed, b/c they have a mutually fulfilling or unfulfilling relationship. I like the fact that he has connections to Alvarez, who is a good character guy.

Im not concerned about his previous turmoil in choakland. Those guys are such overpaid spolied brats that its not even worth discussing. Sure he may not have gotten along w/everyone, but of course those are what the media focuses on.

I dont see Bill retaining Gill. With his talks of the West Coast Offense, it wont be tough for them to say he just doesnt have the experience we need. Convenient I should say. For SP that is. Its been obvious that he wanted most of the staff gone since the Solich wacking, but knew his public image couldnt afford another hit. He figured he had nothing to lose by waiting until after he hired a new coach to let him do the dirty work, which is somewhat expected and Callahan wont take too much heat for it, b/c "he has to do what he has to do", and "its his team now, and Turner just doesnt have the skillsets to run the WCO.. " blah blah blah. It will be a lot easier for people to swallow coming from the new "man", rather than "The Man" who ganked Frank. I also see Cotton wacked. If BC is calling his own plays, what need will he have for the old BC?

Yes many changes are still on the way folks, and Im afraid they have been decided for quite a while now. And since they are inevitable I say sooner rather than later. Probably by early next week Id say, b/c now Steve has his new "face" in BC, who can afford some black eyes. Steve is fresh out of eyes, and better cover that third one just in case. I heard HuckFuskers is on the loose.

I agree about Gill and the WCO, however Gill is an excellent recruiter and I would

imagine Callahan would like that. He obviously can't do all the work himself.

As far as defensive coaches, I can see him keeping Pelini, Pelini not wanting to stay

and him ditching Pelini. It's hard to say right now. Hopefully it will all get sorted out

this week.