Great article on cally

This is actaully kind of funny!!

This isn't kinda funny, it's educational. I now know that if you disagree with formerfan you have the wrong opinion, don't have "a set", and you are spineless. Thanks buddy, you teaching Hypocrisy 101 tomorrow at the same time?

And Goodnight!

You can throw the academic AA's out the window because that is another tradition that will come to an end under this staff.

Have to disagree with this statement. One of the reasons it came down to us as a finalist for Rey (Mauluga?) was that he visited here and could not believe the emphasis this staff put on academics. That's another one of the reasons Brooks decided to come to Lincoln. Most of the interviews with each of the recruits that came to campus mentioned the attention this staff has on getting the work done in the classroom first. I can't remember who the O-lineman was that was out (Seppo?) for spring practice, but it was for academics only, and stuff like that sends messages to the rest of the team.

Now as far as bringing in the most 'intellectual' kids in the world, I'm not sure we're doing that. But the majority of them seem bright and determined to come here for an education as well as starting the beginning of a new Husker dynasty.

I just wonder how you can comment on the staff ending the run of Academic All-Americans? I don't think they're gonna teach the classes are they? Isn't it up to the athlete to study and prepare for the class? I don't think the coaches are going to discourage academics, do you FF?

I just wonder how you can comment on the staff ending the run of Academic All-Americans? I don't think they're gonna teach the classes are they? Isn't it up to the athlete to study and prepare for the class? I don't think the coaches are going to discourage academics, do you FF?

Cant say that they are going to "discourage" academics, per say. However, with cally being a former NFL coach, I dont think that classes are something that he had to deal with at that level.

Anyhow, as far as A-AA's coming to an end, it sure seems like his last recruiting class had more borderline qualifiers/non-qualifiers than at any time I can remember in the past 10 years, which may not be the end of the world, but should raise a little concern.

Also, if the coaches are not teaching classes, and cant be held responsible for any failures, then they cant be given credit for any academic success either, right??

Cant say that they are going to "discourage" academics, per say. However, with cally being a former NFL coach, I dont think that classes are something that he had to deal with at that level.

He's also a former college coach.

Anyhow, as far as A-AA's coming to an end, it sure seems like his last recruiting class had more borderline qualifiers/non-qualifiers than at any time I can remember in the past 10 years, which may not be the end of the world, but should raise a little concern.

A few guys required more time to qualify. That hardly signals the end of all All Americans. Larry Phillips wasn't too bright....

Also, if the coaches are not teaching classes, and cant be held responsible for any failures, then they cant be given credit for any academic success either, right??

They can be given some credit for emphasizing the importance of academics and doing everything they can in their capacity, but it is of course up to the kid to go to class and study. That was clearly hoyamann's point.

Second, to stuck: Let me make this really easy for you, again. I didn’t quit on anything, the program was taken from Nebraskans. Heres a simple analogy that you may (or may not) understand. If your favorite restaurant starts serving up a pile of crap on a plate are you gonna go back and order it again? I won’t, and I won’t buy this pile of garbage again until the trash is taken out.

You seemed to enjoy the pile of crap the old staff was serving up...

I find it kind of hard to believe that you wouldnt eat there anymore because change obviously scares you.

Yo FF,

The comparison of a HUSKER fan and the NU institution with being a patron at a 5 star to 1 star restaurant isnt really a viable comparison. NU and its fans are just that. It is the only restaurant in town. I live in So Cal. with a multitude of things to do all year long. NU football win lose or draw is my lifeblood. Sure I hurt when they lose what fan doesnt but giving up on the team because of changes you dont agree with or think arent working is futile and childish. Scenario: BC, Cos and Co. dont work out. THE PEDEYBAN :) hires a new coach and staff. Will you quit them until they prove themselves also? I personally need my NU fix as often as I can get it. I glean info from the internet daily and savor all that is NU and Nebraska. A losing season will never change that. I had an aunt in Lincoln get tickets for the Rose Bowl so I could sit with the NU side. Unless the team professes a desire to practice human sacrifice and worship satan, my fervor for all things NE & NU will never diminish.

I shall now descend from my soapbox

Course I'll read your posts as always and most likely will disagree but ya never know.

:horns2

GBR

Second, to stuck: Let me make this really easy for you, again. I didn’t quit on anything, the program was taken from Nebraskans. Heres a simple analogy that you may (or may not) understand. If your favorite restaurant starts serving up a pile of crap on a plate are you gonna go back and order it again? I won’t, and I won’t buy this pile of garbage again until the trash is taken out.

I find it kind of hard to believe that you wouldnt eat there anymore because change obviously scares you.

I did enjoy 10-3 and the Alamo Bowl much more than I did 5-6 and home for the holidays. Apparently you did not.

As far as change, if the 3 star chef we had was fired and replaced by a 5 star chef (as was promised) I would have no problem. I have a problem replacing a 3 star chef with a slop-hall, mess tent cook, however. Dig???

As far as change, if the 3 star chef we had was fired and replaced by a 5 star chef (as was promised) I would have no problem. I have a problem replacing a 3 star chef with a slop-hall, mess tent cook, however. Dig???

If the 3-star chef had all the ripest vegetables, choicest cuts of meat and teriffic recipes but put out average tasting food, would you keep him around? And if he was a 3* chef and got fired and couldn't even get a job at a 2* restaurant, wouldn't that raise an eyebrow?

your kidding former, right, about the academic non qualifyers. That is what Solich filled his class with in order to make it look decent because he could only get fifteen guys. As far as the borderline guys in this group, Lucky comes from a broken home and has completely turned his academic career around since his sophomore year. Jackson has also shown great improvement in the latter part of his career, and there only hunter looks like he has ground to make up to qaulify. Suh carries a high GPA and will be an engineering major, Congdon had a perfect GPA in high school. Brooks came here for academics, Taylor brings a high GPA, and Callahan has stressed the importance of academics since he got here. Swing and a miss to you. I dont mind dissenters. i dont mind people who think pederson has done a bad job, or that frank has been treated poorly, but i do mind quitters. This school is not a restaurant. I dont watch the games because we win everytime. I watch because I know that this team represents something more than winning. In the deed the glory, and that has not changed one bit just because Solich is no longer head coach. Go jump on some bandwagon and find a team that you can cheer for until they make a change and start losing, and then maybe you will be back here again. until then, talk to ya later.

Go jump on some bandwagon and find a team that you can cheer for until they make a change and start losing, and then maybe you will be back here again. until then, talk to ya later.

think your missing his point here, hes still on here posting and commenting because hes a husker fan, kinda impatient and judgemental, but your basic bangwagon kinda guy would have just left long ago, hes nothing new on here, been here longer than i, and im betting hes gonna stick around, whether they win or lose. FF is just as extreme on the anti-cally side as others are on the pro-cally side.

think your missing his point here, hes still on here posting and commenting because hes a husker fan, kinda impatient and judgemental, but your basic bangwagon kinda guy would have just left long ago, hes nothing new on here, been here longer than i, and im betting hes gonna stick around, whether they win or lose.  FF is just as extreme on the anti-cally side as others are on the pro-cally side.

Gets it :thumbs

I did enjoy 10-3 and the Alamo Bowl much more than I did 5-6 and home for the holidays. Apparently you did not.

You do know that 10-3 was bullS right? Every team that "should" have been a game killed us. It was not even a good Nebraska team. Sorry, an empty hollow season that is 10-3 will never impress me, or satisfy me. If Fearless Frank had stayed, it would have gotten worse, and you would have been calling for his head. The only thing you are really FormerFan is a FairWeatherFan. Bet you will be changing your name and praising BC as soon as he starts winning.

Its true, I did not enjoy 5-6, who did? But at least now I can see that things will move in a positive direction, and not just stay static. No one respected Nebraska when we went 10-3, hell, we werent even ranked. Yeah, hell of a season. FF, go to Ohio and kiss franks A$$ some more...we don't want or need your sorry ignorance here.

GBR :clap