New Husker Baseball Article

No offense, but how much do you know about the baseball team? How well do you follow it? How well do you follow baseball as a whole? Not saying that the team CANT do that because i've said that if we can find starting pitching i think we'll be fine, but looking at it right now, i really don't see how you can put us at 4th or 5th in the conference. Let's take a look.

Texas A&M - the best team in the big 12, possibly the nation. Childress has an extremely salty club down there.. watch out.

Texas - Need I say more? Honestly? Well i will.. they return a lot of a team that really played better at the end of last year, add in SP Chance Ruffin and UT is one tough team.

Ok St - Possibly THE top 1-2 punch in the nation with Andy Oliver and Tyler Lyons. Also with potential all-conference shortstop Tom Belza the pokes are a team that can make a run at omaha.

Baylor - A team that majorly underachieved last year. Return a lot of experience, can't honestly say i know a LOT about them.. I do know their only real weakness is their bullpen.. chase the starters, you have a chance to put up some runs...

Mizzou - Starter Ian Berger will give them a huge boost on Friday nights.. Berger was better than Aaron Crow down the stretch last year. Yes, better than Crow. Mizzou won't be as good as last year, but still a postseason team.

Now there are 5 teams, i really don't see HOW NU finishes ahead of the first 4, or Missouri really, and then you add in OU who returns a lot of experience in key places off of a team that clicked down the road last season.. I think we finish 6th looking at things right now.. could improve with pitching but no way to say that right now.. wont be able to really until probably mid march.

Not to mention, you say DH Cody Neer, when Neer will more than likely see the most action behind the plate since our only other catcher is a freshman...

Ok so what about last year when we were predicted to finish sixth? Or the fact that Anderson has never finished lower than fourth? I don't think we have stellar pitching, but I certainly think they will be better than expected by some. Also, while our pitching will be down compared to last year, the offense will be up. This team is ALOT better than two years ago, and we finished in the top four of the conference. I tihnk the only guarenteed great teams in the conference are A&M and Texas.

You can't imagine the Huskers finishing ahead of Baylor or Mizzou even though you admit you dont know much of anything about Baylor and your reason for Mizzou being better is a pitcher who pitched well down the stretch? Excuse me if I'm having trouble finding that as a logical argument as to why my prediction is way off base. Almost all of your arguments involve "down the stretch" or "towards the end of the year" To me that tells me they might be inconsistent. If it takes those teams that long to begin playing well, that should only increses NU chances at having success. I don't mind being disagreed with, I love how it brings friendly debate to the topic. However, if you are going to slam and quesiton my knowledge on the topic please bring a substantial arugment rather than "I dont know much bout these guys" or They have a pitcher who pitches well down the stretch.

So where am I so far off in saying I think its highly possible they finish fourth or fifth?? So to answer your question, I know quite a bit about this team. so you're critisizing my knowlege of the team yet you only pick them one worse spot than I did?...

Not to mention, you say DH Cody Neer, when Neer will more than likely see the most action behind the plate since our only other catcher is a freshman...

In response to this statement, the article states RETURNING designated hitter Cody Neer, meaning the designated hitter from last season is returning to the team, which is the proper way to state it. Rarely did Neer see time at catcher last season so if It were to say "returning catcher Cody Neer" that would imply that was Neers primary position last season. Yes, Neer is expected to catch.

How well do I follow baseball as a whole? Well I played for 16 years, I coach a high school team and I played college baseball.... Rather obnoxious your argument, which isnt supported at all over a PREDICTION article of Nebraska's season would put you into question my baseball knowledge as a whole.. Your the only one who had a problem with it even though you argument proves nothing. Man you act as if I said they are clear cut favorites to win the conference and go to Omaha. I predicted probably fifth, you predicted sixth, man Im sorry I dont know anything about baseball, our predictions are just night and day. I mean if you get sixth in a conference youre an okay team but if you get fifth wow thats just amazing, theres NO CHANCE of that happening....right?

you said they would finish 4th or 5th.. For a team that has a MEDIOCRE AT BEST returning pitcher that is a hell of a stretch. I said i don't know that much about baylor, i never said i don't know much about mizzou. Why it is a big difference is because of the teams that we are behind.. It'd be like saying at the beginning of last football season we can finish 4th overall behind OU, UT, and Mizzou and someone saying no, 5th, add in TTU... big difference, just to use a comparison. You say i'm the only one that has a problem with it, well, how many people on here do you really think follow baseball? And if they "follow" husker baseball, how many of them follow the rest of the big 12 or college baseball as a whole? Your argument makes it seem absurd that the Huskers could possibly finish 7th in the conference.. Well, it's not absurd at all.. It's called realistic. You saying there is no real difference b/w 5th and 6th.. so there is no real difference b/w 8th and 9th? A team that makes the conference tourney an a team that doesnt? Also, if you're making a prediction, you HAVE to look at the LONG RUN or DOWN THE STRETCH how else are you going to predict something that comes up in may? Seems kinda like common sense right?

or They have a pitcher who pitches well down the stretch.

When did i say that? oh wait, no where... please don't pull phrases out of mid air, thanks. And please don't use the argument well our pitching was really good down in LA-L.. because yea, it was decent, was good to get off to a good start.. But that is not a high caliber team anymore.. They aren't that good... It was comforting to see that we do have someone who can take the ball and give us innings, but not a place to look at yet and say, "hey, we can make a run," like some others have been saying.

And finally. I never called in to question you're knowledge of baseball or your experience. I asked how well you follow our team and baseball as a whole. That would mean the college landscape in this situation. Not what do you do with runners on 1st and 3rd one out in a tie game situation. Completely different.. and you playing for 16 years (oh wait, i played for 13) and playing in college at a COMMUNITY COLLEGE (could of if i wanted to, honestly didn't care to any more, much rather focus on school-have a friend tht went that route and now completely regrets it, is quitting after this year)..

I thought this was a pretty well written article, props to badgerhusker. It is fact that they are rated 7th in the conference in the preseason polls. It is his opinion seeing them finish in 4th or 5th. Keep in mind that all the would have/could have/should have played college ball is irrelevant to this article. Does playing for long periods of time give you an understanding of the game? The answer is yes. Does this mean anyone person can say this team will end up at this position at the end of the season? No. Hence Cinderella stories, teams that bust, etc. That's why they play the games, because no one can soundly say what will happen over a season. Again this is just my opinion.

I thought this was a pretty well written article, props to badgerhusker. It is fact that they are rated 7th in the conference in the preseason polls. It is his opinion seeing them finish in 4th or 5th. Keep in mind that all the would have/could have/should have played college ball is irrelevant to this article. Does playing for long periods of time give you an understanding of the game? The answer is yes. Does this mean anyone person can say this team will end up at this position at the end of the season? No. Hence Cinderella stories, teams that bust, etc. That's why they play the games, because no one can soundly say what will happen over a season. Again this is just my opinion.

Did have has nothing to do with an article about NCAA baseball or Husker baseball either, especially when the level played at was way under the D1 level. Playing MAY increase your knowledge.. doesn't necessarily. I know plenty of people that played a sport that don't know jack sh#t about the sport.. And then people that never played that know a TON about it.. so does playing for a long period of time increase your knowledge? the answer is SOMETIMES.

Good point I stand corrected on that aspect.

And i have no problem agreeing to disagree on this subject.. It's early in the year and we very easily could find pitching, take a series from texas here at home and be looking 2nd or 3rd place right in the face.... but our staff has to come around for that to happen... the bats seem to finally be comin there...

I thought this was a rebuilding year any way? Team off to a decent start, if they get in the top 5 or 6, would be a very good year. I didn't follow the Husker baseball when growing up, never were any good back then. Nice to see a fans going back and forth on the subject now, means the team is starting to draw interest from fans, thanks to the program becoming one of the better ones in the country. Who would have thunk it :wacko:

GBR!!!