Joe Pa comments

Hey, can some of you PSU gurus tell me about JoePa's recruiting classes in the last 5 years? It seems to me they had several top 10's but have faltered on the field lately...I haven't found much. I seem to remember hearing or reading about how well they have recruited in the last few years, but haven't produced...can ya help me out?

Recruiting classes have NOT been anywhere near the top 10 the last 5 years. (High 20s rankings, 2002 I dont think was in the top 40)

2000 was I think ranked #4, but that class was a disaster. From transfers, to career ending injuries and players that just didnt pan out...inexplainable it is really. That class was the most unsuccessful of any class ever in PSU history.

The last two classes have been much better, although not highly ranked (Teens), but that is due to not very large classes. Recruiting has been very need specific, rather than a grab whatever is out there. Last year we needed QBs, and LBs..(Morelli/Connor played as true freshman) this year we needed speed and O skill players and came through huge. Dwill, J. King will start as true fresh, also landed the MVP of the FL/Cal all star game, RB/WR who could see time this year.

This is the year we will see if it was lack of talent on the field, or coaching because the talent excuse is no longer valid. The talent is there for 9-2 season. With some smart coaching, that turns into a Bigten title and BCS bowl. If we are 7-4 or worse, I shoot myself.

Joe Pa is just as intense as he's ever been. He hasn't lost the competitive edge, and he still a great coach. You can see it in his eyes in interviews that he still very much has the desire to win. Joe Pa is PSU football. I hope you guys have a great year and all the naysayers will hush down. Just think Husker fans, we almost ran TO out back in the 70's. I realize the situation is different because Joe Pa's tenure is running out, but I think it would be horrible not to let him call the shots on his retirement.

On the other hand, I think Bobby Bowden should step down at FSU. This is not a shot at Bowden or the program. I just think his desire and intensity have waned. He seems more like a figurehead now than the head coach. He was a great coach, and he was a great competitor. However, I think he needs to really think about retirement. On the other hand, maybe he's just giving his staff more reign knowing that his days/years are numbered. I just don't see the intensity there any longer.

Synder at KState is also getting up there in years, but I don't see any quit in him. I think it would be very naive to think KState will have a similar year to last year. As some coaches get older, they seem to lose the intensity and fight. I don't see either of those in Joe Pa or Synder. I say let the those who built the program decide their own destiny. Even though I feel Bowden has lost the desire, he should be able to control his own destiny as well. You just don't get rid of people when they have given so much to a program and have received so much success.

Recruiting classes have NOT been anywhere near the top 10 the last 5 years. (High 20s rankings, 2002 I dont think was in the top 40)

2000 was I think ranked #4, but that class was a disaster. From transfers, to career ending injuries and players that just didnt pan out...inexplainable it is really. That class was the most unsuccessful of any class ever in PSU history.

The last two classes have been much better, although not highly ranked (Teens), but that is due to not very large classes. Recruiting has been very need specific, rather than a grab whatever is out there. Last year we needed QBs, and LBs..(Morelli/Connor played as true freshman) this year we needed speed and O skill players and came through huge. Dwill, J. King will start as true fresh, also landed the MVP of the FL/Cal all star game, RB/WR who could see time this year.

This is the year we will see if it was lack of talent on the field, or coaching because the talent excuse is no longer valid. The talent is there for 9-2 season. With some smart coaching, that turns into a Bigten title and BCS bowl. If we are 7-4 or worse, I shoot myself.

Thanks for the info, dude...I am rooting for PSU...I have always respected JoePa and his program!

Joe Pa is just as intense as he's ever been. He hasn't lost the competitive edge, and he still a great coach. You can see it in his eyes in interviews that he still very much has the desire to win. Joe Pa is PSU football. I hope you guys have a great year and all the naysayers will hush down. Just think Husker fans, we almost ran TO out back in the 70's. I realize the situation is different because Joe Pa's tenure is running out, but I think it would be horrible not to let him call the shots on his retirement.

On the other hand, I think Bobby Bowden should step down at FSU. This is not a shot at Bowden or the program. I just think his desire and intensity have waned. He seems more like a figurehead now than the head coach. He was a great coach, and he was a great competitor. However, I think he needs to really think about retirement. On the other hand, maybe he's just giving his staff more reign knowing that his days/years are numbered. I just don't see the intensity there any longer.

Synder at KState is also getting up there in years, but I don't see any quit in him. I think it would be very naive to think KState will have a similar year to last year. As some coaches get older, they seem to lose the intensity and fight. I don't see either of those in Joe Pa or Synder. I say let the those who built the program decide their own destiny. Even though I feel Bowden has lost the desire, he should be able to control his own destiny as well. You just don't get rid of people when they have given so much to a program and have received so much success.

Well said junior