All Time Punter

All Time Punter  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn’t include Erstad because he is 10th on the season average (42.60) and didn’t receive any honors for his one season of punting. I believe I only have one guy listed that only punted one season and that is Lafleur and his season average was 2.34 yards better then Erstad’s. Although Erstad did have a 73 yarder good for a tie at #6 on the longest punt list. He was on my original list but then I looked at the stats and decided to hold off on him.

Erstad has got to be the best athlete NU's ever had at the position.

thank you...glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Has everyone forgotten about the 94 season? On kickoffs, he would boot them out of the endzone or through the goalposts. His punts had the longest hangtime I've ever seen. By the time they landed, most of our guys were already there ready to put a hurt on the PR.

:box

I have always thought that Darin Erstad should have been the MVP of the '95 Orange Bowl. His punts continually kept Miami on their side of the field. We had a lot of heros on the field that day, Frazier was named the MVP but it could have went to several Huskers.

Erstad's name not being in this poll negates the findings and is inexcusible.

T_O_B

:box

• 2003 First-Team All-American (AFCA)

• 2003 Ray Guy Award Finalist (1 of 3)

• 2003 Bobby Bowden Award Finalist (1 of 3)

• 2003 First-Team All-Big 12 (AP, Coaches, KC Star, Dallas Morning News, Fort Worth Star Telegram)

• 2003 Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week (Southern Miss)

• 2002 Ray Guy Award Semifinalist (1 of 10)

• 2002 Second-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches)

• 2002 Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (Associated Press)

• 2001 Third-Team All-Big 12 (Coaches)

• 2001 Honorable-Mention All-Big 12 (AP)

• 2001 Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week vs. TCU and OU

• Three-Time Second-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2001, 2002, 2003)

• Seven-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll

If these honors were associated with a guy that played any position but punter people would not question voting for him instead of voting for a cult hero that had a ONE good season yet was still only good enough to be 10th all time. I see nothing wrong with voting for Erstad by the way but I think people remember him fondly for who he was and what that team did.