Congress to regulate the BCS

Here's an article fresh off the press:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...gKhZCwD97S9QJO2

Congress is actually going to be looking at intervening in the NCAA to force it to move to a playoff system:

"Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, for example, has sponsored legislation that would prevent the NCAA from calling a college football game a "national championship" unless it results from a playoff system."

Are you *#$@* kidding me? I mean whether or not you are for a playoff system, you have to see that the government is clearly overstepping its bounds when trying to interfere in an entirely private organization like the NCAA. Unreal.

As for a playoff system, I seem to be one of only a handful of people out there who actually am opposed to the playoff system. Why? Because right now every single football game is a "life or death" situation for the team. It makes every game invaluable. If we go to a playoff system, no one would care about each individual game, and only the playoffs would get good ratings. Look at NCAA basketball, does anyone care what happens durring the main season? No. I really hope the system does not change, or it at least goes back to the old bowl system.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Finally I have an ally. I have been saying for years that the BCS and the talking Knot-heads of ESPN have done nothing but screw up what was the biggest day in sports, yes even better than the Super Bowl, New Years Day, 4 or 5 bowl games and the culmination of the season. Saddly we probably have lost this forever.

Now let's think if we are using this criteria for a national championship then how is it that we have a 'world champion' in baseball without letting all other countries in? Same goes for basketball and football.

T_O_B

The Steelers were the best team in the NFL last year. All other teams had their chance and failed. That's why the playoffs work. Because all arguments against the team that won end with the winning team pointing to a scoreboard. As far as the "every game counts" theory, well, let's just say that is a load of garbage. If you start the season ranked low or not ranked, you automatically have less of a chance to win the title. Teams that had great winning seasons a year ago are in better position when some clearly don't have a team like they had the year before. And the teams that start at the very top can lose early in the season without much penalty.

That said, the congress should not get involved. This is the NCAA's mess, and, if they want to blow it, there is nothing that can be done about it.

How did Philly fail? They beat Pitt 15-6 in week three.

How did the Giants fail? They beat Pitt 21-14 in week eight.

How did Indy fail? They beat Pitt 24-20 in week ten.

How did the Titans fail? They beat Pitt 31-14 in week 16.

Oh...That's right..they didn't play them when it really counted.

The main difference I see..The NFL crowns the team that gets hot (or lucky) after the end of the regular season.

The old Bowl system awarded several teams..based mostly on who had the better overall season.

The BCS is our best yet compromise to try to reward both.

Perfect example of why Majority shouldn't always rule.

Huh? It's a Republican (you know, the minority party?) congressman using his position as the ranking member of the sub-committee in question to hold a hearing on the subject during tomorrow's meeting. It's an utter waste of time for the handful of representatives and stafffers that have to sit through this crap, but it's got nothing to do with the majority running anything.

A little googling tells me that this guy is firmly on the right-wing end of the of the Grand Obstructionist Party's spectrum, judging by his voting record, recent news articles and participation in the Tea Party stupidfest. My theory that he is doing this to prevent some other topic that he opposes from being heard on Friday doesn't seem too far fetched for this guy.

Sorry..If you asked me if I was a Democrat or a Republican (or other?). and filmed it..you could probably show it on Leno's "Jay-Walking" segment.

I couldn't even remember the current President's name last week...I kept thinking it was "Osama something".

By Majority, I meant the group of grade schoolers that would probably almost all be in favor of outlawing one of my favourite Vegetables...Much like the Majority of casual Football fans would jump at something shiny like a new playoff system.

I bet if you asked someone with a larger (long term) vision like Dr. Tom ...or many fans like me that prefer Div.1 College Football to any other sport (especially the NFL)..You'd get a much different Skew.

Well I want a playoff system anyway. Whatever works I guess

How do you feel about Broccoli?

j/k

But it was a little refreshing to see on this other poll..

towards the bottom-Left of the page..

How would you restructure the BCS system?

Plus one format

8-team playoff

16-team playoff

64-team playoff

Wouldn't restructure it.

Of course..My choice came in second to last...But when broken down by state...Nebraska with it's "Smartest fans in America" had the Highest percentage among the states voting "Wouldn't restructure it".

(We had 14% vote that way..the national average was only 8%)

Perfect example of why Majority shouldn't always rule.

Huh? It's a Republican (you know, the minority party?) congressman using his position as the ranking member of the sub-committee in question to hold a hearing on the subject during tomorrow's meeting. It's an utter waste of time for the handful of representatives and stafffers that have to sit through this crap, but it's got nothing to do with the majority running anything.

A little googling tells me that this guy is firmly on the right-wing end of the of the Grand Obstructionist Party's spectrum, judging by his voting record, recent news articles and participation in the Tea Party stupidfest. My theory that he is doing this to prevent some other topic that he opposes from being heard on Friday doesn't seem too far fetched for this guy.

For your information the Universities of Hawaii, Utah, and Boise St. have contacted their Congress critters about the BCS violating anti-trust laws.

Neil Abercrombe, Demonrat Congress critter of Hawaii was the first to bring this up after Hawaii was shut out of a BCS bowl after going undefeated followed by Boise St. facing the same predicament. It was the BCS whining baby Utah that made a big stink this year about this raising talk about an anti-trust lawsuit against the BCS.

So it's not a GOP or a Demonrat thing. It's the non-BCS schools that are complaining.

For your information the Universities of Hawaii, Utah, and Boise St. have contacted their Congress critters about the BCS violating anti-trust laws.

Neil Abercrombe, Demonrat Congress critter of Hawaii was the first to bring this up after Hawaii was shut out of a BCS bowl after going undefeated followed by Boise St. facing the same predicament. It was the BCS whining baby Utah that made a big stink this year about this raising talk about an anti-trust lawsuit against the BCS.

So it's not a GOP or a Demonrat thing. It's the non-BCS schools that are complaining.

I'm well aware of that, but I was referring to this specific hearing being called by Joe Barton. In any event, my main point remains unchanged. This is an issue that will not get enough traction to make it out of a subcommittee, let alone a full committee or house vote is minimal. Just because a few congressman with misplaced priorities are making a little noise about this does not translate into "omg the big brother government is going to run the BCS now."

Most of you are VERY wrong on this subject. A monopoly is a monopoly. And the BsCS has become just that. anyone who feels that it's OK for for there to be an uneven playing field isn't a real fan of college football. If you cared about the sport itself, not just your own team, then you would want the best teams, not just the big name teams to have a shot at a championship. And right now that's the ridiculous system we have!

But as long as the Huskers are part of the elite then why change anything! Right? I can't understand why so many Nebraskans just want to stick to the status quo. It doesn't seem to matter that CFB is the only sport that can't claim a legit champ every year. As long as the bowl commitees are raking in our hard earned cash, and the Rose bowl gets there lame ass Pac 10/ Big 11 matchup every season than everything is just fine! Wow, I can't tell you how excited I am for that bowl already!!! :sarcasm

What if NU was a member of the sun belt back in our NC years. If they where, there is a good chance that after they went undefeated, they would not have been invited to the Orange Bowl, or the Feista Bowl. Would you still believe in the system if there where no NC's for the BigRed?

Most of you are VERY wrong on this subject. A monopoly is a monopoly. And the BsCS has become just that. anyone who feels that it's OK for for there to be an uneven playing field isn't a real fan of college football. If you cared about the sport itself, not just your own team, then you would want the best teams, not just the big name teams to have a shot at a championship. And right now that's the ridiculous system we have!

But as long as the Huskers are part of the elite then why change anything! Right? I can't understand why so many Nebraskans just want to stick to the status quo. It doesn't seem to matter that CFB is the only sport that can't claim a legit champ every year. As long as the bowl commitees are raking in our hard earned cash, and the Rose bowl gets there lame ass Pac 10/ Big 11 matchup every season than everything is just fine! Wow, I can't tell you how excited I am for that bowl already!!! :sarcasm

What if NU was a member of the sun belt back in our NC years. If they where, there is a good chance that after they went undefeated, they would not have been invited to the Orange Bowl, or the Feista Bowl. Would you still believe in the system if there where no NC's for the BigRed?

Don't get me wrong. I agree with the sentiment, and I think that something should be done, whether it's at the urging of the government or through demands for change by the NCAA's FBS schools. I think it would be preferable that the NCAA/BCS/FBS get its own house in order without governmental intervention, but if that doesn't happen I don't have a giant philosophical issue with the government getting involved. I just don't think that it's an issue at risk of gaining any real traction in Congress at this time due to the other pressing issues demanding the attention of the Executive and Legislative branches. If it comes down to it, there is probably a better, but still small, chance of it being addressed in the courts rather than through the actions of Congress.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with the sentiment, and I think that something should be done, whether it's at the urging of the government or through demands for change by the NCAA's FBS schools. I think it would be preferable that the NCAA/BCS/FBS get its own house in order without governmental intervention, but if that doesn't happen I don't have a giant philosophical issue with the government getting involved. I just don't think that it's an issue at risk of gaining any real traction in Congress at this time due to the other pressing issues demanding the attention of the Executive and Legislative branches. If it comes down to it, there is probably a better, but still small, chance of it being addressed in the courts rather than through the actions of Congress.

Actually, this is common every session of Congress. The Judiciary Committees are always reviewing antitrust laws for businesses or entities that may exploit loopholes in the law.

Last June, they took issue with the NFL and NFLPA for their former retired and disabled players.

I don't know if it's a good use of Congressional time, but it always helps to have someone expedite the process along.

From what I've heard from ol' Harvey Perlman the only way the BCS goes away is if the government forces it upon the colleges.

He makes a very convincing case about why schools like the BCS (except for whichever team happens to finish 2nd or 3rd in a given year.) A big part of it is the $$$$. . . but he had some other excellent points as well.