New Huskers fan needing indoctrination....

Thanks for that....

While we are on the nickname thing. Blackshirts is the nickname of the defense right? It has been for a long time because the first team defense practices in black shirts? Have I got that right..

And the appropriate saying is Go Big Red?

Yeah it was in 1961 or 1962 (can't remember exactly which year it was) Bob Devaney wanted to differentiate between the first string defense and the rest of the defense. So he had them put on blackshirt practice jerseys. The name really caught on in the late 1970's when our defense was one of the best in the country. I want you to go check out www.coachpelini.org-it is a fantastic website that shows the history and tradition of Nebraska and what Pelini is doing right now. Once you get to the website there is an intro video which is what we show at the Husker games for the tunnel walk. Same music and everything, but it is much more intense to actually watch the tunnel walk in person. You can skip the intro or watch it, but once you get past that there is a log-in...type in Guest and password=guest...watch the video that comes up with Pelini talking and there are some locker room talks that he does. Then after that you can read about the blackshirts, traditions, current huskers, and all sorts of things. Great site.

www.coachpelini.org

username=guest

password=guest

Enjoy Kiwi

Yeah it was in 1961 or 1962 (can't remember exactly which year it was) Bob Devaney wanted to differentiate between the first string defense and the rest of the defense. So he had them put on blackshirt practice jerseys.

***SNIP***

Actually it was the end of one platoon football (same players play both offense and defense). The Bob-father wanted a way to identify players on defense from the offense, so one of the assistant coaches went to a local sports store and the only color they had enough of was . . . tah dah . . . black.

Hello Husker fans,

I need to be indoctrinated in the lore, history and culture of the Huskers.

I'm a New Zealander (check your atlases) who will be heading to Omaha with my family later this year because my daughter needs a life saving multi-organ transplant at the Childrens Hospital.

I'm a huge sports fan (diehard Houston Texans and Houston Rockets fan) who doesn't yet have a college team to root for and I'd love to adopt the Huskers as my team to follow while in Nebraska.

So what do I need to know?

I've read some of the history of the team, I'm guessing I should instantly dislike Bill Callahan and mourn for the passing of the option......

I know next to nothing about the current team, although I'm of the impression they run the west coast offense...

Indoctrinate me please......

Please keep us up to date on your daughter. Hope everything works out

kiwi - when you feel like you've gotten enough of a taste of everything listed here, then head over to "Big Red Wrap-up". It's got about an hour long recap video of each and every regular season football game played since 1999, with in-studio interviews with players, sports writers and whoever else they can get to talk to them.

The link: http://netdb.unl.edu/bigredwrapup/

In more recent years they have a few extra videos each year for discussing recruiting, pre-season outlooks, spring games, and bowl games. On the initial page you'll see the first one of the year, and the schedule for the rest. At the bottom you can link to previous years.

I hit that site every now and again in the off-season and watch a couple from previous years.

Time permitting, you might want to hit the Coaches Special near the bottom of this page from 2007 first, since it "introduces" our new coaching staff: http://netnebraska.org/television/sports/b...chive_2007.html

If you're in Omaha in September, you'll be able to catch it on TV, otherwise you can also see it live over the internet (or on-demand of the archived shows, of course).

I also don't believe anyone specifically mentioned http://www.huskers.com/ which is the University's official website for Athletics.

In addition, go to Youtube and look for "Blackshirts" -- that'll keep you entertained for a long while.

Yeah it was in 1961 or 1962 (can't remember exactly which year it was) Bob Devaney wanted to differentiate between the first string defense and the rest of the defense. So he had them put on blackshirt practice jerseys.

***SNIP***

Actually it was the end of one platoon football (same players play both offense and defense). The Bob-father wanted a way to identify players on defense from the offense, so one of the assistant coaches went to a local sports store and the only color they had enough of was . . . tah dah . . . black.

Thats right they went back to two platoon football. Been a while since I have read all that stuff and yeah they wanted contrasting jerseys from the first string defense and the offense...I mistyped that part. Thanks for pointing that out huKSer. I cracked open my old husker book and it said it was around 1964. So lets just say early 1960's and run with that.

Yes to both Kiwi, and welcome (in advance) to the "good life".

Your family will be in my prayers as well both for the surgury and for the sacrafices nessecary to make it happen. My wife went through a Bi-lateral lung Tx 2 years ago, and we had to move to St Louis, I couldn't imagine what it would have been like to be in your shoes.

Question, did you say she would be undergoing her proceedure at Children's of UNMC, just curious?

Also, when in the Big O, do try to take in a little College World Series. I know, I'm not a big baseball fan either but it's a pretty good slice of Americana and 2 weeks where Omaha really shines.

All the best and GBR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Tim, I hope that your wife is doing well... these things are big sacrifices but if it gives them life its certainly worth it.

In answer to your question, it will be Children's of UNMC we'll be going to. We've heard good things about it.

Thanks for the tip on the College World Series..... I've struggled to embrace baseball as a sport but if its live in real life any sports event is worth a look.

Its when the defence gets 3 and out. 3 stops on defence. Throw your arms in the air and make an x sigh. Thats thrown the bones. Its means you just got stuffed, you just got jacked. Your mamma is a snowblower that kinda jazz.

The symbol for the Blackshirts is the Skull and Crossbones. So when the Defense, the Blackshirts, make a big play like a sack, turnover, or as BRPW says a 3 and out, the players will cross their forearms in the air as BRPW described. The "X" represents the bones.