5 Fall Camp Position Battles

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/displ...7/4a7b3f39c0c66

No. 3 and No. 4 receiver

Meno Holt and Niles Paul haven’t produced much in their careers, but it’s fair to say they are the starting X and Z receivers...................Behind them, a whole host of candidates, all with their own story, line up for their shot: senior Chris Brooks, junior Will Henry, sophomore Curenski Gilleylen, Brandon Kinnie and Marcus Mendoza, and freshmen Antonio Bell, Tim Marlowe and Khiry Cooper.

This one and the starting CB’s are huge.

I don’t know if I would go as far as to say that Holt and Paul are solidified as the starters, although based of experience I guess you can. They both have plenty to prove as do all of the WR’s. Maybe I’m dreaming but I think this is the year that Chris Brooks finally puts it all together.

As far as the CB’s go, I’m not sold on West or Prince. They have both shown flashes but that being said West gets burnt quite a bit and Prince is pretty raw.

I don’t know if I would go as far as to say that Holt and Paul are solidified as the starters, although based of experience I guess you can. They both have plenty to prove as do all of the WR’s. Maybe I’m dreaming but I think this is the year that Chris Brooks finally puts it all together.

Brooks is a potential monster but you're right - he has to put it together. As (allegedly) good as he is, the fact that he has barely sniffed the field when we had savvy but less-gifted athletes like Peterson and Swift starting is a huge red flag.

Antonio Bell could find some PT coming his way this year, as could Khiry Cooper, if Brooks doesn't emerge.

And I agree about Meno and Paul. Paul was a four-star WR coming in, and hasn't done much of much since. It's time. Time, time time!

As far as the CB’s go, I’m not sold on West or Prince. They have both shown flashes but that being said West gets burnt quite a bit and Prince is pretty raw.

Amukamara is, by all accounts, a fairly gifted athlete. But far too often you'll see him standing around, or whiffing on a ballcarrier, or just plain out of position. He needs to step up and become that tiger he's supposed to be. Dejon Gomes is (hopefully) lighting a fire under Amukamara this summer.

Brooks is a potential monster but you're right - he has to put it together. As (allegedly) good as he is, the fact that he has barely sniffed the field when we had savvy but less-gifted athletes like Peterson and Swift starting is a huge red flag.

Antonio Bell could find some PT coming his way this year, as could Khiry Cooper, if Brooks doesn't emerge.

And I agree about Meno and Paul. Paul was a four-star WR coming in, and hasn't done much of much since. It's time. Time, time time!

Amukamara is, by all accounts, a fairly gifted athlete. But far too often you'll see him standing around, or whiffing on a ballcarrier, or just plain out of position. He needs to step up and become that tiger he's supposed to be. Dejon Gomes is (hopefully) lighting a fire under Amukamara this summer.

Agreed that guys like Gomes are critical to NU. We need him to either push Amukamara or play instead of Amukamra. Another is Anthony Blue. He needs to really step up. And then too we have Dennard. The trio of Dennard, Gomes, and Blue will in large part determine the success of the CB's --- by either pushing or replacing West and Amukamara.

Agreed that guys like Gomes are critical to NU. We need him to either push Amukamara or play instead of Amukamra. Another is Anthony Blue. He needs to really step up. And then too we have Dennard. The trio of Dennard, Gomes, and Blue will in large part determine the success of the CB's --- by either pushing or replacing West and Amukamara.

Good news is that lizzari Middleton turned some heads this summer. its always these surprises that help shape the position battles to come.

Rick Henry in the O Line wasnt #1 but will probably see as many snaps as whoever is, depth is such a huge part of this game and it looks like the depth is emerging across most positions, still wondering if the North Dakota lineman with the great feet will get on the field early, with a few OLineman bumped, it could happen that a new guy could make the two deep. Will Shields was the Last Frosh to come in and crack the lineup early, he had the skills and game from day 1.

Asante getting tutoring from Minter is huge as well, can't help but get better from that kind of tutoring. Minter has the benefit of many years of pro ball, Asante can leverage that, then Asante is a better player.

They are also reporting that Ankarah looks ready physically, that is good news too because if we get hit with injury we'll need some young talent, too red shirt him or not becomes the question....extra depth can be deferred with RS status, can have the guy ready but never need to use him.

TE's, they are saying are scheduled to be playing some fullback, could definately see Khyler Reed in that role.

Watson has a huge tool kit its going to show this year.