Bad News for next year

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1442983

"LINCOLN - Johnny Dorn's magical freshman season at Nebraska ended with a troubling twist.

An MRI on Monday revealed a slight ligament tear in the right elbow of Nebraska pitcher Johnny Dorn. The freshman, who led the Big 12 this season with 12 wins, is awaiting further tests to see if he will need surgery that will likely sideline him for all of next season.

The right-hander from Grand Island, Neb., injured the ulnar-collateral ligament in his pitching elbow Sunday during the Huskers' 7-4 College World Series loss to Florida. He will not travel this week to Raleigh, N.C., as planned, to try out for Team USA and said he is "shutting it down for the summer."

Coach Mike Anderson said the decision is precautionary. Such injuries, though, always run the risk of requiring surgery. An operation to repair the ligament would likely prevent Dorn from pitching at Nebraska in 2006.

Dorn said he planned to visit a doctor Wednesday in Lincoln for more examination of the elbow. He hurt it in the second inning Sunday as he fielded a ground ball hit by Brian Leclerc.

"When I got back in the dugout, it was hurting quite a bit," Dorn said. "I took some (medicine), and it wasn't bothering me too much after that."

He finished the inning and pitched two more before leaving after he faced one batter in the fifth. Dorn underwent a magnetic-resonance imaging test Monday. He said the test revealed a slight tear. Dorn could opt to rehabilitate without surgery.

The operation, known as Tommy John surgery, generally requires at least a year of recovery time, though two NU pitchers have returned in 10 to 11 months during the past two seasons.

The outing Sunday for Dorn was his worst in 13 starts this season. He allowed four runs on five hits in four innings. It marked Nebraska's first defeat in a game started by Dorn. His only other loss came March 5 in relief against Texas State.

Dorn finished with a 2.16 earned-run average and a 12-2 record - a win total that led the Big 12, set a rookie record at NU and led all freshmen nationally. In Big 12 play, Dorn was 5-0, clinching series wins with each victory."

Johnny, I hope that your arm will heal completley and that you do not rush the recovery if you have to have the big O on the arm. I watched Dorn play legion ball last year and I hope he continues improving and I can watch him at the next level also. It is great to see a local kid excell and be able to help out the HUSKERS

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

GO HUSKERS!!!!!!