death from above...

yep, August 27th... 4+ more days until the battle begins. As if directed by PETA, the cool evenings and night time showers (personally, I shower in the morning...) that continue to dribble across the eastern plains of K-olorado are causing the birds to bunch up and prepare to migrate on. So, what will this season bring us...? Will I be surrounded by bird carcasses each evening as I take to the fields to rid the skies of this grey menace, this ferocious predator of humility, this...this...this, dare I say it(?), this winged meal? OR, will it be total SUCKAGE and all the birds will have moved on by the time the season begins? Ahhhh, I lust for the baking hot afternoon dropping sun to bring me the gnashing beaks, flashing eyes and flexing talons of these creatures I seek. The mighty wingmaster .410 is oiled and coiled..., the vest is still dusty and blood stained from last years adventures..., the old truck is resting, waiting patiently for a kick to it's foot starter and a light grind into 2nd. Dove season is ALMOST upon us and as I prepare my portable radio with batteries and ensure that the antennae is still intact (for listening to the Huskers on Saturdays while out in the field... and no, it's NOT a good 'dove call', but it's necessary) I am readying myself for the battle royale. Wish me luck sirs... wish...me...luck!

Yes, agreed... Tonite is the night... Dirty filthy weather has NOT been conducive however! Woke up this am to find 53 degrees, clouds / fog. Doves don't like clouds and fog. Global warming my aching RUMP!!! Yet, I shall fire up the '54 and go out and try anyway. My new 'dove-bucket' is built, my reloaded 3 inch 410's are stacked and I am READY!

Yes, agreed... Tonite is the night... Dirty filthy weather has NOT been conducive however! Woke up this am to find 53 degrees, clouds / fog. Doves don't like clouds and fog. Global warming my aching RUMP!!! Yet, I shall fire up the '54 and go out and try anyway. My new 'dove-bucket' is built, my reloaded 3 inch 410's are stacked and I am READY!

How many dozen did you kill?

I have gone the past few years, but not today because of lots of work to do.

My big thing is duck season.

How many dozen did you kill?

I have gone the past few years, but not today because of lots of work to do.

My big thing is duck season.

Yeaaahhh.... THAT blew...! I didn't see TEN birds all evening. Warned two of them as they blew by about 89 mph and then listened to rooster pheasants flushing for awhile, but dove hunting was THIN. Grrrr....!

Still sounds like more fun than enjoying the balmy 105 weather here. Lots of doves too but being the Republic of California is so gun friendly I do not hunt anymore. I'd be too embarassed if I got arrested by my son for some byzantine gun law I was not aware of. j/k just don't hunt any more.

Good luck

yummy yummy doves. Oh yeah, bacon wrapped dove. mmmmmmmmmmm

GBR