10 million awarded for perfume abuse

Here's one for ya Slacker. A DJ in Detroit just won a lawsuit against her former radio-station, b/c she claims she was fired for complaining about a co-workers horrid perfume -- and so she was awarded TEN MILLION DOLLARS. :o What? Holy crap, I should have about $2 bill coming to me, Im constantly getting blasted by some nasty bags smokescreen for an odor. Speaking of smoke, do you think I could sue for getting sick when one of those walking ash trays come back in the building from their "smoker zone" and I get caught in their aura of filth that radiates around them for about 50 yards in any direction? I hate that. :flush

Fight fragrant offenses

It smells like a cover-up to me, like something incriminating's being concealed by a noxious cloud of cologne.

The odor of excess cologne or perfume may raise suspicions that prompt personal questions, such as:

Has this person been drinking? Smoking? Hanging out with someone who smells nothing like his or her spouse? And if the latter is the case, would that other someone not now be busted by his or her own spouse, having also been gassed by this same massive blast of fragrance?

If this is not some malodorous defense mechanism, is it not an assault upon the olfactory senses of others? If so, may we not fight back, and seek some legal remedy for this unprovoked offense? May we not claim just compensation for our pain and suffering, and punitive damages for our mental anguish, plus attorneys' fees?

Apparently we may, as a Detroit jury this week awarded a former disc jockey $10.6 million in a lawsuit claiming a radio station fired the female DJ after she complained about a coworker's wearing way too much perfume.

So finally someone's fighting this flagrant flouting of fragrance that so often needles innocent bystanders' noses. In this case, the DJ claimed her chemical sensitivity began when someone spilled acetone in the studio during an on-air pedicure, then it was aggravated by a co-worker's wearing too much Tresor perfume by Lancome.

But there's more to it than that. According to the Detroit Free Press, court testimony also delved into how much the DJ was being paid as compared to the male DJs, and how much money she was making for the station.

Most news reports now zero in on the perfume. "Perfume allergy case brings $10M judgment" read the first headline I saw.

But a local physician tells me simply smelling a fragrance doesn't provoke an allergic reaction, so technically it's not an allergy. "These fragrances are just irritants," he says. "And they're irritants to somebody whether he has allergies or not."

You can tell by how irritated people get.

"You know the worst place people complain about it? Not the mall, not the doctor's office. Church," says the doctor, who doesn't want his name linked to the lawsuit. He says patients often complain church is no sanctuary from cloying perfumes.

Once you sit down, it's hard to move around. Those pews are so tight that you can't say "Pew!" without people overhearing you.

This fragrance irritation may be mistaken for allergies because the effect is similar, and half the people who have hay fever also suffer this susceptibility to irritants. Sometimes the only way to tell what's really bothering you is to get an allergy test at a doctor's office.

After that, you might want to consult an attorney.

Do you have hay fever? Are you being discriminated against at work? Are you forced to work with people who stink? Maybe you should consider seeking just compensation for this fragrant violation. Someone needs to.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgere...ws/11749006.htm

***SNIP***

Holy crap, I should have about $2 bill coming to me, Im constantly getting blasted by some nasty bags smokescreen for an odor. Speaking of smoke, do you think I could sue for getting sick when one of those walking ash trays come back in the building from their "smoker zone" and I get caught in their aura of filth that radiates around them for about 50 yards in any direction? I hate that. :flush

Blackshirt, let's talk retainer... ;)

Real convenient, wouldnt ya know it, AR is here to take my retainer the moment I mention the word "sue". :) I dont know how you guys do it.. anytime that word (I wont say it again, EVER) is even whispered you police scanning EMT chasers seem to come outta the monitors.... scary. :throw Damn the internet. Damn it all to HELL!!

There's this use to be this woman across the isle from me who would put her perfume on when she got to work. You could smell it across the entire floor, kinda an old woman perfume, all flowery. Anyway, someone complained and they made her stop.

Man, I use to smoke, I had no idea I smelled that bad when coming back from a smokie treat break. I don't know which is worse, the smoker perfume or the old woman perfume.