Greetings

On this auspicious day, I thought it would be a good time to start my own thread for the first time. I can tell you a little about myself, and give some thoughts on Husker football.

I'm a native Texan who has lived in Big Red Land for 17 years. Never followed college football much growing up but I knew who Darrell Royal, Bear Bryant and Earl Campbell were. That was about it. I still love my Texas pro sports teams. But today I am all about Husker athletics, football in particular. There is a little room in my heart for Creighton too, but just a little. Yeah, I'm one of those fans.

When I was about 10, my dad worked for a book store chain and we flew a little Cessna company plane to College Station to hang out all day at a shopping mall book store with ... Bear Bryant. He was having a book signing event for his autobiography, Bear. He was already entrenched at Alabama but they came in droves to meet the old guy. When he met me he asked if I was going to come play for him at Alabama. "No sir," I said, "I'm going to play for Darrell Royal at Texas!". He didn't like me much after that. I still have that book signed by Bear Bryant.

I've been to two Husker games in Texas, the game at Austin Nov 1, 2003 (Bo's only year as DC, alas Frank's last year as HC). We were at the Alamobowl win over Michigan. We had planned that trip to go visit for Christmas already, and when we beat Colorado we knew we had a shot to play in SA. Sure enough, we did. I took my dad and my niece and made sure they were decked out in red. My niece had just graduated from Converse Judson, the same high school attended by Titus Brothers who ... was in on the game saving tackle with Zack Bowman. That was a fun night. Judson wears red. I asked my niece if she had ever seen so much red before. "Umm, yeah" was her response. I flew my dad in for the Texas game in Lincoln in 04, made sure he wore red. He had a good time but he was cold.

This is a football board, right? Okay. I think this year might be special but I have some concerns. I think Lee is going to be fine. I'm concerned about the running back position, for obvious reasons. I like that Helu has bulked up. He might be more durable. I think we will be strong on both lines. Three freshmen starting at linebacker? Those men are going to be flying around like missiles. If they can play disciplined I think LB play will be a strength by mid-season. The DB's can only get better from last year. Overall, I think our weakest area is the defensive backfield and secondary. But we have one intangible. That is our coaching. I happen to think that Pelini, Pelini, Watson & Co. have what it takes to lead this program to greatness. It might not be this year. But it might. If they get better as the year goes on, I would not be surprised to see us in Irving come December.

Now, for those of you who have read through this mini-novel without falling asleep and having little keyboard indentations in your forehead, I have a trivia question for you. Look at my screen name. It is a play on words of a pop culture reference from the seventies. The first person to respond with what that pop culture reference is, will win my undying respect and admiration for the life of this thread. Which might not last long, of course. Note: I just checked my post length. I can still use over 100,000 characters before reaching the maximum allowed post length. Betcher glad I didn't.

Even more specific.....

"Have you ever seen a squonk's tears?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squonk#Cultural_references

:clap:clap:clap:woo

I had to scroll a looong way down, so this thread will go the way of the OKST/GA game on TV in Omaha (meaning hard to find, or not available .... wazzup with that anyway??) And that's okay, my thread dying that is. I would like to see that game though.