Why I love Little Tokyo...

1. The Miyako is an awesome hotel...$90 a night with free internet access, a nice restaurant, lobby has a coffee/gift shop with all kinds of misc. stuff, good rooms, lots of space....

2....and...a shiatsu massage/spa on the 3rd floor. You've not lived until Hiromi has driven her elbows through your back into your chest cavity and pulled your arms back spread-eagle while planting her heels in the small of your back and...YANK!...oh lordy...

3. The Suehiro Cafe is right across the street and you can eat like a king at 1:00AM for $18.00

4. Interesting people hang out here...in the last few hours: a dozen strung out japanese businessmen in blue suits stumbling into the Karaoke bar on the 2nd floor, a bus load of japanese tourists all looking more than a little shell-shocked (would have made great extras in a Godzilla film...that perfect look of vacant shock blended with abject awe...I guess it was the jet lag), a young Dutch goth couple who's idea of a good time is biting each other while sitting on a bench outside the hotel, the archetypical Hollywood couple of ditzy blonde buxom woman and a 50-ish over-tanned egomaniac guy with perfectly coiffed grey hair, a black Maserati, and perpetual mid-life crisis. Add this to a fair amount of college-age hipsters (if I see another girl with her thong showing and a lower back tattoo, I'm going to scream...and then launch her into the air by her thong in one great super-wedgie lift-off) and fewer pan-handlers/people-who-want-to-sell-you-crap-from-the-trunks-of-their-cars than is normal for downtown L.A..

5. Every other person you meet is *not* an aspiring actress, actor, screenwriter, director, or grip (whatever the hell that is). Again, not typical for L.A.

6. An absolutely beautiful Bhuddist temple nestled on 1st street and San Pedro that you don't notice unless you walk right by it.

After spending almost 3 months here on assignment, this is almost feeling like home. Friday is my last day here, and I'm already starting to miss it.

Weird, huh?