DVR to DVD

do you have a dvd recorder?

No...but my computer has a dvd writer. Does that count? :blink:

Nope. You literally need to hook up a DVD recorder to your DVR and record the DVD as the DVR is playing back (like recording live TV). DVR's use a completely different format than regular hard-drives, so there's no way to hook up to your PC.

If you have a capture card you can.

Nope. You literally need to hook up a DVD recorder to your DVR and record the DVD as the DVR is playing back (like recording live TV). DVR's use a completely different format than regular hard-drives, so there's no way to hook up to your PC.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

What is a capture card by the way? (Is it obvious I'm an idiot with this stuff?)

What is a capture card by the way? (Is it obvious I'm an idiot with this stuff?)

basically a graphics card that allows you to watch video on your computer...thus allowing you to record that video onto your hard drive. I have one that kind of works...a TV tuner. It allows me to hook up the coax cable connection from the wall to my computer and playback TV through my computer. I haven't used in forever because the quality wasn't that good...most likely because I bought a cheap one.

I suggest the DVD recorder though. They're easier to use, nothing to install except hooking up the cables, and it takes care of burning everything for you already. If you get into using a capture card you'll have to worry about transcoding video files, authoring a DVD, etc. etc.

Standalone DVD recorders are great

There's a loss in quality (at least with what I've worked with in the past). You're probably better off just hooking up a DVD recorder. It's simple to do.