Rules interpretation

Long time watcher, first time poster. Please tell me that the people who think that was a touchdown were watching the end of the half on Monday Night Football. Same situation, though not in the end zone. Ball squirts out after the guy gets two feet in bounds and falls out of bounds. Not a catch.

I'm not saying it's a smart, intuitive rule. I'm not saying that I'm not mad about the loss.

It might have been a touchdown in 1983...it's an incomplete pass in 2009.

Pro and college are not the same.

Pro and college are not the same.

Then check out Floyd from Notre Dame's catch. Not a TD. In fact, the announcers there questioned the call, too, and they were wrong. Even the Big East replay official confirmed it. You gotta perform a football move before you have possession. Falling down isn't one. "Breaking the plane" only counts if you already have possession. I'm surprised there's so much argument about this...it happens once a game at least.

Well we must have been watching all different games. The times I've seen a similar situation (a player catching a ball and falling the ground in one motion, then losing the ball as he hits the ground) it has been ruled incomplete. I can't think of a single time when it was ruled complete. This is due to the rule changes on what constitutes possession, I believe.

The Taylor to Boyce "catch" on Tech's first touchdown drive. It appeared to be a similar play as Holt's but went the other way.

Well we must have been watching all different games. The times I've seen a similar situation (a player catching a ball and falling the ground in one motion, then losing the ball as he hits the ground) it has been ruled incomplete. I can't think of a single time when it was ruled complete. This is due to the rule changes on what constitutes possession, I believe.

The Taylor to Boyce "catch" on Tech's first touchdown drive. It appeared to be a similar play as Holt's but went the other way.

Link to a video?

Edit - I'm more than happy to take a look at a video of it and offer comments. But if you want to use it as a rebuttal to what I've been posting, please provide a link so I can look at it and comment.

Link to a video?

Edit - I'm more than happy to take a look at a video of it and offer comments. But if you want to use it as a rebuttal to what I've been posting, please provide a link so I can look at it and comment.

At 1:30 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mV0hz0fomM...PL&index=80

Link to a video?

At 1:30 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mV0hz0fomM...PL&index=80

Where does the ball come loose? I don't see it. I even took a look at the ESPN 360 replay, they showed it about 6 times since it was reviewed, he never let go of the ball until he got up. It's possible that he didn't have full control or the ball touched the ground, which would make it a different no-catch ruling, but the ball never popped out like on Holt's try.

Holt's drop can be seen in the highlights at http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4487758 .

Looking closer at the VT catch, it sure looks like the ball hits the ground as he falls. He doesn't lose it like Holt does, which is what I thought people were talking about, but it still hits the ground, and that shouldn't have been a catch either, by the same rule. That was a huge 3rd & 20 play, they wouldn't have gotten a TD, and might not have even gotten a FG.