Breaking Down The 80 Yard Burn

sarge87

Only two people made significant errors on this play.

1. Bo Pelini for calling a Cover 2 zone (it was a full zone, no man coverage) when the deep ball was the only realistic way their QB had a chance to beat us. You don't leave two safeties solely responsible for the deep ball in this situation. Just a really bad playcall.

2. O'Hanlon for a) starting the play just eleven yards off the LOS. You have to know when you are in a cover 2 and responsible for half the field deep, and you don't have track speed, you need to give yourself a pretty big cushion, especially in that situation. He needed to start back 15 yards off MINIMUM, and B) obviously losing the wide receiver and biting towards the middle of the field when the deep ball was the only thing going to beat us.

Bottom line, if Bo wanted to go zone to avoid losing Taylor on a long scramble, cover 3 would have probably won us the game. Then you have O'Hanlon responsible for the deep middle and West basically only worrying about staying behind the streak route right in front of him.

In retrospect, I almost wish O'Hanlon wouldn't have caught him. Would have given us a minute to get in field goal range.

I have been thinking the same thing. It would almost have been better to just let Coale score because we would have had more time on the clock.

Yea, honestly ive seen some people frown on this kid tackling Coale from behind and not letting him get the TD so we could have more time on the clock to get Henery in FG range....

First of all to the people who believe that O'Hanlon should have let him go...

Shame on you!!

We are suppose to have a BLACKSHIRT DEFENSE!!

Even though he missed the coverage or maybe West had something to do it, or Bo Pelini made a wrong decision having Cover 2. To let Coale score, thats just wrong. Our old Blackshirt defense wouldnt let someone into the endzone just to give the offense the chance to comeback! NO! A Blackshirt defense would have stopped Coale and kept them out of the endzone and let them shoot a FG, and maybe even block it.

I applaud O'Hanlon for chasing him down and saving the TD, I applaud him from making the sack the play later. Unfortnately, we did not apply enough pressure on the next play to keep them from scoring.

But im willing to bet you, if Taylor was sacked again, or Roberts dropped the ball or Prince intercepted it, people would have been praising O'Hanlon for stopping him on 3.

Bo talked about seeing effort on the field, and even though it was a blown coverage, O'Hanlon showed effort to chase him down and prevent the TD, the Blackshirt way.

:bonez

Anything that happens in front of O'Hanlon he is supposed to let happen. In that late of a situation in the game, his only true responsibility is to not allow anyone to get behind him. If someone gets a 15-20 yard gain in front of him, you let them take that.

Anything that anyone else did or did not do is completely irrelevant. O'Hanlon has to protect his half and not allow anyone to get deep.

In retrospect, I almost wish O'Hanlon wouldn't have caught him. Would have given us a minute to get in field goal range.

I have been thinking the same thing. It would almost have been better to just let Coale score because we would have had more time on the clock.

Yea, honestly ive seen some people frown on this kid tackling Coale from behind and not letting him get the TD so we could have more time on the clock to get Henery in FG range....

First of all to the people who believe that O'Hanlon should have let him go...

Shame on you!!

We are suppose to have a BLACKSHIRT DEFENSE!!

Even though he missed the coverage or maybe West had something to do it, or Bo Pelini made a wrong decision having Cover 2. To let Coale score, thats just wrong. Our old Blackshirt defense wouldnt let someone into the endzone just to give the offense the chance to comeback! NO! A Blackshirt defense would have stopped Coale and kept them out of the endzone and let them shoot a FG, and maybe even block it.

I applaud O'Hanlon for chasing him down and saving the TD, I applaud him from making the sack the play later. Unfortnately, we did not apply enough pressure on the next play to keep them from scoring.

But im willing to bet you, if Taylor was sacked again, or Roberts dropped the ball or Prince intercepted it, people would have been praising O'Hanlon for stopping him on 3.

Bo talked about seeing effort on the field, and even though it was a blown coverage, O'Hanlon showed effort to chase him down and prevent the TD, the Blackshirt way.

:bonez

I did say in retrospect! I would never fualt a player for hustling and I applaud the effort. if we make the goal line stand it's the play of the year.