Bo and The Blackshirts

I just think Bo doesn't really care about them as much as the fans do, because to him, they're not that big of a deal.

And in all honesty, they really aren't. 50 years ago some guy bought some black jerseys, gave em to Devaney to hand out to his players, and that was that. It's not like God parted the heavens and bestowed the Blackshirts upon Nebraska football, although I'm sure many wish that were the case.

The same could be said for most traditions, but traditions are important. It keeps us in touch with our history.

I just think Bo doesn't really care about them as much as the fans do, because to him, they're not that big of a deal.

And in all honesty, they really aren't. 50 years ago some guy bought some black jerseys, gave em to Devaney to hand out to his players, and that was that. It's not like God parted the heavens and bestowed the Blackshirts upon Nebraska football, although I'm sure many wish that were the case.

I see your point. However in speaking with former Blackshirts, they have a completly different view - in that it wasn't and isn't just a different color jersey they were wearing durning practice.

Yeah I agree. To say you're a "Blackshirt" means the world for the players on defense. To them it's the pinnacle of their work and aspirations on this team. It means they've finally "arrived". And I'm sure former Blackshirts have let Pelini know their feelings as well. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Pelini has awarded the Blackshirts this week but it also wouldn't surprise me if he waited until after the TTU game.

I'd guess that Pelini and the former blackshirts have such high regard for the blackshirt tradition that they do not want the shirts given out until the defense has definitively demonstrated excelence on the field. Such is not yet the case. Our D has not yet demonstrated that it is at the level that constitutes wearing the blackshirt. Heading there? perhaps. there? Not yet.

Were you happy with the product that was wearing Blackshirts in practice (albeit traditionally) 2-5 years ago?

He's restoring the tradition by raising the bar on the expectations. Essentially, he's restoring the VALUE of the tradition, instead of just following the perceived rules.

Don't confuse Bo's attitude toward the media with his feelings about the Blackshirt tradition. We all know how Bo is....and every day he has a billion people zooming in on a topic that has nothing to do with what happens on the field Saturday.

He just seems annoyed with the constant hysteria around these practice jerseys that he'll deliver when he's ready. And frankly, if he thinks his current guys can achieve even higher levels of play....and that's where he wants to set the bar....why are any of us complaining?

This is all a part of what is needed to:

:restore

I see your point. However in speaking with former Blackshirts, they have a completly different view - in that it wasn't and isn't just a different color jersey they were wearing durning practice.

Yeah I agree. To say you're a "Blackshirt" means the world for the players on defense. To them it's the pinnacle of their work and aspirations on this team. It means they've finally "arrived". And I'm sure former Blackshirts have let Pelini know their feelings as well. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Pelini has awarded the Blackshirts this week but it also wouldn't surprise me if he waited until after the TTU game.

I'd guess that Pelini and the former blackshirts have such high regard for the blackshirt tradition that they do not want the shirts given out until the defense has definitively demonstrated excelence on the field. Such is not yet the case. Our D has not yet demonstrated that it is at the level that constitutes wearing the blackshirt. Heading there? perhaps. there? Not yet.

I agree, however McBride had some pretty pathetic D's in his days in Lincoln, yet he had the Blackshirts. I realize the main reason why Bo was hired was to get the NU D back where they are supposed to be. Are they there yet? No. Is this the reason he isn't at all keen in awarding them to date?

Guys...

Seriously, the tradition talk is nice and everything, but I think it's a practical matter. How many different guys have started so far this season? The team has played pretty well on the whole, but when the starting line-up gets some more continuity, the blackshirts will probably get handed out. The defense needs to find consistency on the field. That's the goal, and it will be apparent when it happens on the field, not when the practice jerseys get handed out.

My guess is before or after the Iowa State game they will hand them out.