Bo and The Blackshirts

Since Bo has yet to hand out the Blackshirts, do you see this move as him not being into or liking the Blackshirt tradition? Is he anti-tradition?

I wonder if he were the head coach at Ohio State would he eliminate the Buckeye stickers they give out to OSU players after each game? If not, why is he not partaking in the long standing NU tradition in the Blackshirts?

I just think Bo doesn't really care about them as much as the fans do, because to him, they're not that big of a deal.

And in all honesty, they really aren't. 50 years ago some guy bought some black jerseys, gave em to Devaney to hand out to his players, and that was that. It's not like God parted the heavens and bestowed the Blackshirts upon Nebraska football, although I'm sure many wish that were the case.

I think Bo respects and understands the Blackshirt tradition. I don't think there's any ill-intent on his part by withholding the Blackshirts. Instead I think he's using them more as a motivational tool to get not just the defense, but the team as a whole, playing at the level he and the coaches know they're capable of playing at. We've seen flashes of brilliance from this team. We just haven't seen a complete game where they've dominated the game (outside of a non-Conf game).

I just think Bo doesn't really care about them as much as the fans do, because to him, they're not that big of a deal.

And in all honesty, they really aren't. 50 years ago some guy bought some black jerseys, gave em to Devaney to hand out to his players, and that was that. It's not like God parted the heavens and bestowed the Blackshirts upon Nebraska football, although I'm sure many wish that were the case.

I see your point. However in speaking with former Blackshirts, they have a completly different view - in that it wasn't and isn't just a different color jersey they were wearing during practice.

So he seems to be anti-tradition? If so, do you think he would eliminate the Buckeye stickers at OSU then?

I see your point. However in speaking with former Blackshirts, they have a completly different view - in that it wasn't and isn't just a different color jersey they were wearing durning practice.

Yeah I agree. To say you're a "Blackshirt" means the world for the players on defense. To them it's the pinnacle of their work and aspirations on this team. It means they've finally "arrived". And I'm sure former Blackshirts have let Pelini know their feelings as well. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Pelini has awarded the Blackshirts this week but it also wouldn't surprise me if he waited until after the TTU game.

No, its not a knock on the tradition. I dont think he wants to do that or is about that. The way I see it, he was a defensive coach, brought in & hired to clean up the mess. It wasnt that long ago when OSU, KU, Ball State, everybody scored a bunch of points and moved the ball in chunks. One arm tackle attempts, etc.. I really think that once he see's the defense consistently performing to his standard they will become the Blackshirts again for good. I could be wrong, just my impression. I wouldnt think that in three years from now that no b/shirts will be given at the beginning of the year... :blink: If that happens then I think we still would have some issues on defense.

That's something I keep asking myself, too. If Bo were withholding them until a dominant D was established with consistency AND he said that in plain English, it would in some ways richen the tradition that was already there. But instead when asked about it, he flippantly dismisses it as something he hasn't given any thought to. We seem to have two versions of Bo's truth here on this subject and neither seem to mesh. Either he respects the tradition so much that he's withholding the shirts until he feels they're unquestionably earned, or he simply doesn't care about them.

Blackshirts don't matter? Different colored jersey? Tell that to Christian Peter and see what he thinks about it.

No, its not a knock on the tradition. I dont think he wants to do that or is about that. The way I see it, he was a defensive coach, brought in & hired to clean up the mess. It wasnt that long ago when OSU, KU, Ball State, everybody scored a bunch of points and moved the ball in chunks. One arm tackle attempts, etc.. I really think that once he see's the defense consistently performing to his standard they will become the Blackshirts again for good. I could be wrong, just my impression. I wouldnt think that in three years from now that no b/shirts will be given at the beginning of the year... :blink: If that happens then I think we still would have some issues on defense.

Agree.

I see your point. However in speaking with former Blackshirts, they have a completly different view - in that it wasn't and isn't just a different color jersey they were wearing during practice.

So he seems to be anti-tradition? If so, do you think he would eliminate the Buckeye stickers at OSU then?

Not sure how you can say that Bo is anti-tradition when he awarded Blackshirts last season. It is obvious that Bo felt the need to modify the tradition to try and re-instill the pride of the tradition. I remember arguing this subject last season seemingly everyday, I argued that they should be given out at the beginning of the season as the tradition dictated. I am still inclined towards that process than what he is doing now, but I also realize that under Callahan the tradition morphed also. You didn't just have the starting D getting the shirts, you had 14-17 guys all getting shirts and I am not sure the Coaches put any importance on them other than doing it because fans expected it. They lost the luster so if withholding the blackshirts each season until they are worthy is Bo's way of restoring the pride in the tradition then I guess I can't really argue with that. Maybe eventually once the pride in the tradition is restored, Bo will return to handing them out the first game week.

I think he believes in handing out blackshirts to the top contributors (base package starters, plus the top nickel and dime guys). I think they are still waiting for the defensive backfield to shake out. After guys step up to fill roles at DB/S/LB and start to perform a bit more consistently, he will hand out blackshirts. I heard Bo talking about Blackshirts on ESPN radio on Saturday. He's down with it.

I think if Bo didn't care about it. He'd just give them out to the first team because it's tradition. He seems to appreciate our traditions. I think he sees an opportunity to further motivate his kids. Why waste a reward. Bo strikes me as the type that thinks several steps in advance.

I think I agree with your stance but I'm not 100% sure I do. My gut and the tone he uses towards the Blackshirt around the players is what is making me lean away from him agreeing with the Blackshirt tradition. The current NU players do not dare mention the Blackshirt within ear-shot of Bo and Carl.

caveman99, I didn't say Bo is anti-tradition, I was asking a question. Hence the question mark.

I think if Bo didn't care about it. He'd just give them out to the first team because it's tradition. He seems to appreciate our traditions. I think he sees an opportunity to further motivate his kids. Why waste a reward. Bo strikes me as the type that thinks several steps in advance.

I think I agree with your stance but I'm not 100% sure I do. My guy and the tone he uses towards the Blackshirt around the players is what is making me lean away from him agreeing with the Blackshirt tradition. The current NU players do not dare mention the Blackshirt within ear-shot of Bo and Carl.

caveman99, I didn't say Bo is anti-tradition, I was asking a question. Hence the question mark.

Well questions can also be inferences of a personal opinion, that is where I thought you were going with that one. Seemed like you kind of believe that and hence were asking if we thought that also. Either way, I can understand why this question keeps coming up. Bo doesn't really address it very well, for all of the things he did to reconnect the program with the state/fanbase this one area he falls short in.