Thoughts

JTrain

Well, plenty to be said I guess. I'd rather lose like this than like we did to VT.

First, the offense... only one smiley applies here: :facepalm: Our offense, against real competition, is among the worst 20 offenses in FBS. That's not an angry comment. I truly believe that. With Lee at the helm, we are really, really bad 90% of the time. Helu can't break out when there is absolutely zero threat of throwing the ball downfield. Watson lost all confidence in Lee and for good reason. Look, he's a kid. He's a likable guy. He loves to play and wants to win. But he just isn't a Big 12 QB (maybe not even an FBS QB). The only throw Watson is comfortable letting Lee throw are WR swings/screens and quick slants, and even those are rarely thrown right on target. Combine Lee's three performances against BCS defenses, and he'd be in the bottom 10% in just about every category imaginable.

I hope if this performance (if you can call it that) does anything, it makes it politically correct and respectable to ask that Green get his opportunity to lead this team. Not because Green is great. He's not. He's a true freshman and will make plenty of mistakes (he already has made a few). But he doesn't need to be great. He needs to be decent, give us the threat of throwing the ball farther than five yards down the field (and in the middle of the field) and in general give us the ability to score 20-25 points a game. Helu is a pretty damn good back, and with a legitimate passing threat, we open up things for Helu to have a huge game. We all know the "grass is always greener" mentality is annoying and usually wrong, but sometimes, there is enough reason to believe the grass really is greener (no pun intended). I have no doubt that Green, though he will make plenty of freshman mistakes, gives us a better chance to win right now.

I wouldn't buy into the announcers saying this was such a shocker. Anyone that watched the VT or Mizzou games with their eyes open knew our offense wasn't good, and we'd need to step up to hang with Tech. Unless you had about a gallon of kool-aid in you, you knew this game was dangerous. We all knew we wouldn't shut out Tech's offense... Bo said as much before the game. We didn't step up, Lee didn't improve, and we got exactly what we knew we would under that scenario.

I also wouldn't buy into the announcers pretending like Texas Tech destroyed us. Our defense played pretty well on the whole. Look at how many yards Tech had up until that last TD drive. Just about any defense in the country would be happy holding an offense like Tech's to 24 points (17 until the aforementioned drive, during which the game was basically decided already). I know it's easy to be pessimistic, but I truly believe this team is a legitimate passing threat away from being able to hang with just about anyone in the country. And I don't for a second doubt it's possible to develop that threat under Green.

I really hope our defense doesn't lose the fire, because with an offensive spark we can win every game from here on out. OU will be very tough, but not impossible. Between Missouri and Tech, if we had to lose one (and the way our offense has been, it was inevitable that we did), we should all be glad it was the South team. Our goals are in-tact, and this was the wake-up call we needed to force significant change in the offense. Let's take care of ISU and Baylor, give OU our absolute best effort, and sweep the North. Getting to the Big 12 title game, even at 9-3, is an improvement and I think it can be done.

Hoped Lee could get it done. Time to see what Cody can do. Glad to see Mendoza finally get some playing time. Paul just doesn't get it, some times he looks like hes ready to break out and be the man, then he just gos into a fog. Lot of this season left, we will still probably win the north, just not sure who will be leading the offense, the rest of the way. I guess that's up to Watson, he may have to have a piece of that humble pie and say, he just made a mistake with Lee.

Hang in there HUSKER fans.

GBR!!!