We run the same formations as the 90s teams

rkhufu7

even many of the same zone blocking plays, we just don't use FBs very much if at all and do not practice option and read plays enough to make them effective. The type of OL and the use of FBs and more teaching and execution of various options would be simple. The only thing is that power-I/option ball is not Watson's thing. check out this link, because we do run the same formations and many of the same base plays like inside and outside zone...

Husker formations

even many of the same zone blocking plays, we just don't use FBs very much if at all and do not practice option and read plays enough to make them effective. The type of OL and the use of FBs and more teaching and execution of various options would be simple. The only thing is that power-I/option ball is not Watson's thing. check out this link, because we do run the same formations and many of the same base plays like inside and outside zone...

Husker formations

The current Nebraska offense is nothing like the past Husker playbook you're referring to. Sure, we run some of the same formations, but the blocking is totally different.

When a 'zone blocking scheme' is mentioned, tenopir is really referring to an 'off' lineman doubling and chipping to the backer in his 'zone.' The current Husker run blocking is true zone blocking in that there isn't a specific hole for helu/whoever to run through, but the linemen 'over' blocking and creating running/cutback lanes.

Under Osborne, pancakes were a good thing. Today, they are not, because they 'clog' running/cutback lanes.

The last and main reason we couldn't run the offense of old has to do with the fullback, because we never have running plays with the fullback today. In the past, the fullback was very important, because inside backers had to account for him. We could run FB dive with a trap or option look, and then comeback with a counter sweep or counter off tackle, and not only would the defense be out of position, we would have two angry-looking linemen bearing down on anyone who dared scramble back to make a tackle, not to mention Lawrence Freaking Phillips truck-sticking his way to the endzone.

Uh what?

I didn't see a whole lot of Shotgun in the 1990's.

Formation wise, everything is similar to an extent, no matter the offense or team. Sure there are exceptions, IE wildcat, wild turkey, and so on...

Zone blocking is garbage. Its the counter principle for defensive linemen that split gaps instead of engage and push the offensive blocker back. Works for pass protection well, but outside of that not a whole lot of purpose. Man to man means less flexibility for the runner and bigger chance of a linemen getting beat one on one, but we at least knock people off the line consistently. Get a decent fullback, and then go ahead and beat our linemen one on one, delay handoff every time.

Ugh. Watching the line (and offense in general so far) just confuses me. So much to say, so many suggestions.

High school ball may not translate to College well, but I know poor scheming when I see it. That seems to be what Nebraska is stuck with for the year.