Super Bowl Champions!

In the final weekend of Youth Football in his (hopefully) long and storied career, Boz finally realized his goal of being a part of the storied Youth Football League Champions tradition. After a hard fought two games this weekend, the Jaguars ended up their Youth League football careers as the Super Bowl Champions!

The regular season ended with a thrilling victory over the stinking Lions (a team that had not been beaten in 2 years and who came into the game 20-0 since 2007) 8-7 in a defensive struggle that left the Lions fans and players all crying like a bunch of little girls (I don’t know how many tackles Boz accounted for since he has mastered the “last to pile on…last to get off the pile” strategy) the league ended up with three teams at 5-1 and three teams at 1-5. Since they didn’t want to mess up their Sunday schedules of golf, they unilaterally determined that the Lions and the stinking Ames Bears would play for the championship and the Jaguars would play the lowly 1-5 Bengals for 3rd place. Immediately our coaching staff started protesting and since our staff has more anal lawyers than the other staffs, they decided to have a playoff.

Sunday dawned bright and warm…unfortunately the first game was scheduled for 6:45 in the evening and by that time the weather majorly sucked. Windy and cold. Didn’t matter though at the Jags stomped the Bengals into the ground (as expected). You could tell that the Jaguar coaching staff didn’t expect too much of a game as one brought a cooler full of food and the players could be seen munching on ham and swiss sandwiches throughout the game. The only real highlight was Boz getting an Unsportsmanlike Conduct flag thrown at him in the 4th quarter after he recovered a fumble and carried it twenty yards for a score. When the ref ruled that the runner had been down before the fumble, Boz’s cry of bullsh#t could be heard throughout the stadium…Oh well…15 yards and a trip to the bench. I was quite proud.

The game ended around 9:00 and after which we were informed that our team had to travel to another field and take on the winner of the game between the stinking Lions and the stinking Bears (we had lost to the Bears in the first game of the season…before we were whipped into shape)…so we all drove to that field to find that the Bears had defeated the Lions. The game was kind of a surprise as no one had informed us that we would be playing another game…a clever ploy by our coaching staff or just a bunch of complaining and threatened legal actions…who knows? All I know is it turned out to be an exciting game. Both teams tore up the field with long runs and actual passes which were, amazingly, caught! Our starting QB/LB and IB/LB duo got crushed and we had to throw the 2nd group in running strictly out of the I but Boz, playing center like a, well, 7th grader…opened up some huge holes and, in the end, the Jags prevailed 43-34. The game ended at 11:30 and the handing out of the trophy (which was bigger than my old State High School Championship trophy…stupid suburbs) took another hour (could they not have introduced the players of the stinking Bears…they lost. Might as well teach them about losing early in life…but they are from Ames so probably already are quite familiar with the team) but by 12:30 am, all the festivities were over and the champions finally got to go home and get some sleep.

Boz was not pleased at 6:00 the next morning when I woke him up for school and let me know this. I retaliated by giving him an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty upside his head.

Thus ends the saga of Boz and Youth Football…

Boz (#55) prepares to deliver a stunning head slap to a hapless Bengals blocker in the first game of the playoffs...DSC_0053-1.jpg