Flyover Saturday

What would I like to see?

Bring the SR-71 out of retirement, and fly one over at Mach 3. Unfortunately we'd need new windows in the press box . . . and maybe an entirely new structure.

Still the most awe inspiring airplane of the last 100 years. 40 years old . . . and still untouchable performance wise.

They retired that plane a few years ago, but the need for a high-altitude camera platform didn't end with the cold war. I know satellite technology has improved dramatically, but I can't imagine it's totally replaced the mission the Blackbird used to fly.

If I had to guess, I'd say they have another, faster, more badass plane out there right now that is still black enough that we don't know about it yet. Maybe the "Aurora" project the tinfoil hat folks always talk about?

All I know is, I'd love to see this plane.

Bring the SR-71 out of retirement, and fly one over at Mach 3. Unfortunately we'd need new windows in the press box . . . and maybe an entirely new structure.

Still the most awe inspiring airplane of the last 100 years. 40 years old . . . and still untouchable performance wise.

They retired that plane a few years ago, but the need for a high-altitude camera platform didn't end with the cold war. I know satellite technology has improved dramatically, but I can't imagine it's totally replaced the mission the Blackbird used to fly.

If I had to guess, I'd say they have another, faster, more badass plane out there right now that is still black enough that we don't know about it yet. Maybe the "Aurora" project the tinfoil hat folks always talk about?

I'd think that whatever is designed to replace it (if not satellites) is a drone. Why put pilots in harms way if unnecessary?

I'd think that whatever is designed to replace it (if not satellites) is a drone. Why put pilots in harms way if unnecessary?

Agreed. That would be the logical next step, and the less risk you put a human in, the better.

I also wonder if we'll ever get to a situation where we have unmanned fighter aircraft fighting via remote control, like the Predator drones, only a more aggressive machine. There's always the danger of someone jamming signals, but you could work around that somehow I'm sure.

This supposedly is the next generation spy plane. Sometimes referred to as the SR-91

250px-Aurora_concept_AdrianMann_1.jpg

But lets not forget, the US still has the U-2. Not too mention, satelite technology is tremendous as is the UAV in the inventory now. Some can loiter at 60,000 feet for days on end.

Everyone that knows the plane says they will never again build anything like it. General Griswold who was a lifelong pal of General Curtis LeMay described to me his chance to fly this plane. This was a conversation some 30 years ago and I will never forget it!

By the way if you are on your way to Lincoln and have not visited the Sac Museum at Gretna it is a must see!

http://www.sasmuseum.com/2008/11/21/sr-71a-blackbird/

And if you want a great book

here

http://www.lemaybook.com/offers/offer.php?id=LEM001

Everyone that knows the plane says they will never again build anything like it. General Griswold who was a lifelong pal of General Curtis LeMay described to me his chance to fly this plane. This was a conversation some 30 years ago and I will never forget it!

By the way if you are on your way to Lincoln and have not visited the Sac Museum at Gretna it is a must see!

http://www.sasmuseum.com/2008/11/21/sr-71a-blackbird/

And if you want a great book

here

http://www.lemaybook.com/offers/offer.php?id=LEM001

If you want a book that focuses a little more on the problems encountered in building the SR-71 (and the F-117) I'd recommend "Skunk Works" which I think is by Ben Rich. Great read. It almost made me choose it as a career.

http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal...d/dp/0316743003

Good luck getting a raptor to do a fly over. :blink:. I'd imagine they would go with not the best Jet in the fleet for that kind of a mission :lol: .

You would have to think that since engine technology and just aviation technology in general has improved so much in those 40 years there could be an airplane with better performance built but the SR-71's objective, reconnaissance, has been replaced by satellites. Not to mention the fact that we have no idea about classified airplanes which would probably blow our collective minds.