Article on the Run and Shoot (long)

This has to be the problem with our offense. I've been thinking this since day one. To be at this level and to have been around this long, how do our coaches not recognize this, if it is in fact the problem? I mean they should be smart enough and good enough teachers to realize that this system won't work at this level, especially with the players other committments, and scale back. I'm with others, if you have to have 4-5 years in a system to really flourish then lets find a new system.

man if you just replace "run and shoot" with "spread" (although i spose its pretty similar/same sort of deal) this seems almost like it was written specifically about our offense this year.

Also I think part of the problem is that we have a guy from a true spread system (Beck), a WCO guy (watson) an old school NU guy that supposedly favors more of a spread option type offense (when Barney was our OC in 03 we never got that much of the offense in so what is there to go by?), another WCO guy, and a guy from our triple option hay-day. Big surprise that we lack identity?

Also its interesting how its says you pretty much have to forget about the tight ends. We have a good roster of tight ends and a coach JUST FOR TIGHT ENDS!

man if you just replace "run and shoot" with "spread" (although i spose its pretty similar/same sort of deal) this seems almost like it was written specifically about our offense this year.

Also I think part of the problem is that we have a guy from a true spread system (Beck), a WCO guy (watson) an old school NU guy that supposedly favors more of a spread option type offense (when Barney was our OC in 03 we never got that much of the offense in so what is there to go by?), another WCO guy, and a guy from our triple option hay-day. Big surprise that we lack identity?

Also its interesting how its says you pretty much have to forget about the tight ends. We have a good roster of tight ends and a coach JUST FOR TIGHT ENDS!

I think the spread is mostly just an updated "run and shoot" offense. I just posted the article because of the author's insight regarding simplicity and unity of scheme. I don't want to see the spread or run and shoot here . . . in fact I don't think anyone does.

Maybe it's a great thing we are starting to lean on Cody Green. Watson said he was simplifying the formations used with CG at the helm. Could be just what we need.

could be just what the O line needs! <_<

What exactly did Watson change or simplify? It looked exactly like the plays Zac Lee was running other then the option plays. <_<