#10 Nebraska at #8 Iowa State, Saturday 11/7/2009

#10 Nebraska (17-6 overall, 10-4 conference) at #8 Iowa State (20-3, 12-2)

When: Saturday, November 7th, 8:00pm CT

Where: Hilton Coliseum, Ames, Iowa

TV: None

Video Webcast: CLICK HERE **paid subscription required for this one :-(

Audio Webcast: CLICK HERE

Live Stats: CLICK HERE

This is a season of firsts for Iowa State. ISU won their first ever match against Nebraska in a five set thriller on October 21st in Lincoln, breaking a 74 match losing streak to the Huskers. The Cyclones beat previously undefeated #2 Texas in another five set match on Wednesday, the highest-ranked team ISU has ever beaten. For the first time ever, ISU faces Nebraska as the higher-ranked team. Iowa State has never been ranked as high as they are now, and a victory over Nebraska should move them up even more in next Monday's rankings. Former Husker Christy Johnson-Lynch is building an outstanding program at Iowa State. (Side note: check out

of the final point of the Texas match. I like the part around 0:27 after Christy shakes hands with the Texas coaches.)

Iowa State is having a promotion ("One Match. One Record. One Nation.") for this match in an attempt to break their attendance record of 6,705. The Hilton Colisuem is sure to be rocking.

Nebraska is coming off a very impressive win over Missouri in which they hit .451, with all five of their primary hitters over .400. They all owe a big "thank you" to setter Sydney Anderson. She was outstanding against the Tigers. The Huskers also had eight service aces in the three game sweep. If the two teams both play as well as they did Wednesday, this match could be a barnburner.

Nebraska has been ranked in the top 10 every week since the start of the 2004 season. A loss in Ames may end that streak.

The Iowa State roster features four Nebraskans:

KDEAQIGTCTHENKC.20090824194654.jpgCarly Jenson, Omaha (Millard North)

DAGJKBCPXBLVCMD.20090824194804.jpgCaitlin Mahoney, Omaha (Marian)

UCYIRNFGYNVXRQW.20090824194859.jpgKelsey Petersen, Kearney (Kearney)

VQKFADUPSUFYFQN.20090824194936.jpgJamie Straube, Tecumseh (Johnson County Central)

It was hard to keep up with everything last night because of a certain nationally televised primetime football game, but if I heard correctly, Sydney Anderson said in the radio interview after the match that Tara Mueller enjoyed the game for the first time this season. That's an interesting comment.

Tara has taken on an expanded role in passing since the loss to Texas A&M when the Aggies exploited our freshmen. She has passing responsibilities in all six rotations like Jordan Larson did last season. Maybe she is getting comfortable in that role even though it might have come at a cost of her hitting numbers. Tara is a very important player for this team and if she starts to really hit her stride, the Huskers could make some noise in the tournament and be set up for a serious run next season.

I've thought all along that this team just needs time to gel and develop their identity. There have been a few speedbumps along the way and I don't want to read too much into the win in Ames because it is still a work in progress, but every match is bringing this team a step closer to reaching their potential.

Looking at the box score from last night's match, there was a number that jumped out at me: Hannah Werth had almost twice as many digs as Kayla Banwarth. I'm sure part of ISU's gameplan was to attack Hannah. Sydney ran a good, balanced offense. Not a single Husker hitter had double digit kills but everyone was involved. Maybe Iowa State was a little tired from their five set win over Texas, but wow, it must suck to get swept in front of a record home crowd of 10,203 people.

Nebraska's streak of being in the Top 10 will remain intact.

Great night for Husker sports!

it must suck to get swept in front of a record home crowd of 10,203 people.

The good news is, they have a lot of experience getting swept at home by Nebraska. :)

CJ has that team headed in the right direction, clearly, and I wish her all the best, but beating us on our home court just makes my blood boil, Husker legend or no.