Newest Blackshirt: Kayla Banwarth

This is cool. She has definitely earned it.

LAWRENCE, Kan. — It was midway through the match, and the scoreboards at Kansas stopped updating Nebraska’s individual totals.

Too bad for the Jayhawks someone couldn’t have figured out a way to stop keeping score.

The ninth-ranked Huskers, in winning 21 of 25 rallies in one stretch, were as dominant as any point this season. Nebraska hit .433 and limited KU to 26 kills in blasting the Jayhawks 25-15, 25-12, 25-18 before a crowd of 1,145 Saturday.

“At times, it felt like we could win every point,” Nebraska coach John Cook said. “We were just doing a lot of really good things.”

Credit the passers. Credit the hitters. Credit setter Sydney Anderson. All were impressive.

But what had the Huskers all smiling was libero Kayla Banwarth’s fashion statement. For the first time in years, a Nebraska player wore a black jersey.

“It really got everybody pumped up before the game, and that was cool to see,” said Banwarth, who found the jersey in her locker just before the match. “Coach always talks about bringing that swagger to the court. That helped me today.”

After 11 digs and even a kill, the black will be back, Banwarth promised. The junior said she’s wanted to wear the black jersey since coming to Nebraska. But the Huskers didn’t have one, the result of a directive from Steve Pederson years ago.

Jessica Yanz, who represents the volleyball team on an athletes’ advisory council, asked athletic director Tom Osborne if it would be OK to bring it back. That hurdle cleared, Cook asked the folks at adidas how soon they could hook him up.

The jersey arrived Saturday, hand delivered to the Horejsi Center by injured outside hitter Kaitlynn James.

“We were so excited for her,” said Tara Mueller, “and a little jealous, too.”

Dressed in red, Nebraska’s hitters were red-hot. Kori Cooper led the way with 11 kills on 15 swings, but not far behind were Mueller (10 kills, .474), Hannah Werth (10 kills, .381) and Brooke Delano (seven kills, .700).

The positives didn’t stop there. Nebraska (21-6, 14-4) didn’t allow an ace for a third straight match, and the Huskers had nine blocks to only one for Kansas (15-13, 7-11).

“When everyone’s looking each other in the eye, when one person makes a great swing and the next person makes a great pass and it just keeps flowing, that’s when it’s fun,” Mueller said. “And it’s definitely starting to happen more often.”

Jersey color aside, Cook said credit goes to Nebraska’s leaders.

“I don’t know what they’re doing behind the scenes, but it just feels like they’ve got everybody pulling the wagon in the same direction,” he said. “Today was a great example of that.”

LINK HERE

LOL, I found this picture I took in 2007...there's Kayla second from the left, and Rachel wearing a black jersey three spots away!

zsu9mx.jpg

So, I honestly think he made up everything about Pederson banning the shirt, and having to get approval from Osborne.

Looks that way. I'm more than certain you're right MUTigerFan.

When in 2007 was that taken? TO did replace Pederson in NOV 2007, maybe the author was right about Pederson banning the jersey but got the timing wrong.

LOL, I found this picture I took in 2007...there's Kayla second from the left, and Rachel wearing a black jersey three spots away!

zsu9mx.jpg

So, I honestly think he made up everything about Pederson banning the shirt, and having to get approval from Osborne.

Looks that way. I'm more than certain you're right MUTigerFan.

When in 2007 was that taken? TO did replace Pederson in NOV 2007, maybe the author was right about Pederson banning the jersey but got the timing wrong.

Wednesday October 24, 2007. NU lost 0 - 3