Cody Green

I am a Nebraska fan living in Tri Cities, Washington. My dad is from Taylor, Nebraska and he is a die hard Husker fan. I've always been a fan, though admittedly I haven't followed the Huskers all that closely over the past few years.

I saw a thread earlier about needing Gabbert... My question is, are expectations pretty low for Cody Green? What does he need to work on? He was highly touted coming out of HS, but it seems that maybe not a lot of people are excited about the possibility of him being the starter next year...

Thanks for any opinions... I'm just wanting to get back in the loop!

I personally think Green will be our man. Some have a problem with him, but at this point I don't even think we can judge the type of player he is or will be. He's thrown into games at obscure times w/ so much pressure on him i.e. Texas Tech and Texas. I think he is young, and it shows in his playing and decision making - something that will improve w/ playing and experience. But he is a double threat w/ running and passing when needed. I don't think Watson's WCO really fits any of our recruits, but I think Green could be the one given some time and work through this upcoming year. I would like to have Gabbert as a backup, but if Watson stays as OC, he might be better for that type of offense. Heck, Kody Spano could end up starting next year pending no injuries! lol But I really don't want Lee to start next season! I'm still a Green fan at this point...

I personally think Green will be our man. Some have a problem with him, but at this point I don't even think we can judge the type of player he is or will be. He's thrown into games at obscure times w/ so much pressure on him i.e. Texas Tech and Texas. I think he is young, and it shows in his playing and decision making - something that will improve w/ playing and experience. But he is a double threat w/ running and passing when needed. I don't think Watson's WCO really fits any of our recruits, but I think Green could be the one given some time and work through this upcoming year. I would like to have Gabbert as a backup, but if Watson stays as OC, he might be better for that type of offense. Heck, Kody Spano could end up starting next year pending no injuries! lol But I really don't want Lee to start next season! I'm still a Green fan at this point...

Thanks for the info. Yeah, Green probably shouldn't be the starter next year... but you never know. If he has a good offseason and solid fall practice, he just might be.

I am a Nebraska fan living in Tri Cities, Washington. My dad is from Taylor, Nebraska and he is a die hard Husker fan. I've always been a fan, though admittedly I haven't followed the Huskers all that closely over the past few years.

I saw a thread earlier about needing Gabbert... My question is, are expectations pretty low for Cody Green? What does he need to work on? He was highly touted coming out of HS, but it seems that maybe not a lot of people are excited about the possibility of him being the starter next year...

I think Green will be our starting QB as soon as he either learns the whole playbook or is allowed to use it. When he did start he only ran a handful of plays so we really didn't get a legit chance to see what he's capable of. I think he'll be dynamic, with another year under his belt and a better grasp of the playbook I'm confident that he'll be our starting QB next year.

I think Green will be our starting QB as soon as he either learns the whole playbook or is allowed to use it. When he did start he only ran a handful of plays so we really didn't get a legit chance to see what he's capable of. I think he'll be dynamic, with another year under his belt and a better grasp of the playbook I'm confident that he'll be our starting QB next year.

That's part of the problem though. You don't need 500+ plays to have a successful offense - ask TO. Watson just needs to figure out what works for his players and call to their strengths. Variations of 10-15 solid plays gives us our troubled offense the ability to master plays and be successful. And at this point, unless someone else shows promise between now and next season, I think Green will be getting the start.

That's part of the problem though. You don't need 500+ plays to have a successful offense - ask TO. Watson just needs to figure out what works for his players and call to their strengths. Variations of 10-15 solid plays gives us our troubled offense the ability to master plays and be successful. And at this point, unless someone else shows promise between now and next season, I think Green will be getting the start.

True. I'd rather Watson stick to one type of offense and do it well than running four different types offense and doing them poorly.

All I can say with certainty is that there WILL be a QB battle in the off-season.

Agreed...between Spano, Green, and Gabbert. No way Lee starts next year. We've seen his stripes and they're not clean enough.

I too don't understand the disappointment in Green. I guess some thought he was gonna show-up and immediately have the same type of freshman season that Tommy Frazier had. In my mind there's no question Green's more physically gifted than Lee both throwing and running. Against Baylor he had a good half and a bad half. Some games we got less than that out of Lee. I'm willing to wait and see what Green is like as a Soph and Junior before I declare that he doesn't have the ability to ever lead our offense.

I think our starting QB is going to be the cerebral type who has command of the offense. I thought Witt was supposed to be that guy but he's off talking about how much better Yale's education is. Lee and Green - we'll see if they can make the leap, neither has yet (obviously). Spano or Gabbert could both be it, but Gabbert not next year, for sure. LTW and Martinez, I don't think even begin to figure into the discussion. Is Tay-Mart working with the DBs yet?

Lee, Green, Spano. One of you, emerge next year. Please.

All I can say with certainty is that there WILL be a QB battle in the off-season.

Agreed...between Spano, Green, and Gabbert. No way Lee starts next year. We've seen his stripes and they're not clean enough.

Amen to that. I think he's as good as he's going to get and obviously that's not good enough.

Amen to that. I think he's as good as he's going to get and obviously that's not good enough.

Here's to hoping that's the case. I can't take another year like this one. It just seems like such a waste of a great defense. Frustrating :bang

Here's to hoping that's the case. I can't take another year like this one. It just seems like such a waste of a great defense. Frustrating :bang

Totally agree. I think what upset me most about the game wasn't the loss, but the wasted effort. I felt terrible watching those defensive players walk off the field.

I'm going to bring a bit of a different perspective as I'm a Texas Aggie. This is also gonna start with a bit of a tangent but I promise it's relevant.

So far, our coach Mike Sherman seems to be almost a miracle worker on the offensive side of the ball. Our quarterback, who absolutely lit Texas up a few weeks ago, actually played TE in high school and then ran the option for two years under our previous coach Dennis Franchione. This year, in his second season under Sherman, he threw for 3200 yards (school record), 26TDs (school record), and only 6 Ints, 3 of which were in 1 terrible game during which nobody could do anything right.

Our WRs have been equally impressive. A&M has always more or less been representing the big 10 in the deep south; in other words, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. We have never had a 1000 yard receiver in our school's history. Prior to Jerrod Johnson our qb, our school passing record for a single season was ~2700 yards, including the bowl. So when Sherman produces a go-to tru fish (Uzoma Nwachukwu), a true sophomore (Jeff Fuller), and a redshirt sophomore (Ryan Tannehill, who was playing qb when Sherman arrived), he deserves a lot of credit.

My point with this is to back up the assertion that Sherman is a great evaluator and developer of offensive talent. He has brought in a lot of recruits that have stepped onto campus and contributed as true freshman.

And let me tell you, he really, really wanted Cody Green. We sent the house after him but he ended up with the the Corn; a fact that disappointed a lot of Aggies. He raved about his ability to make all the throws, his decision making (he had 36TDs and 5 Ints his senior year), etc. In Sherman's mind, Cody Green was the real deal.

Anyway, it's my opinion that you all should consider the fact that the kid is a true freshman and that he can still improve dramatically. Quarterback is, without a doubt, about the hardest position to pick up because there is so much to learn, memorize, and train into muscle memory. Then all the reading defense stuff. It's really darn hard and takes a lot of time to learn. For example, earlier in the post I mentioned our quarterback, Jerrod Johnson. Not to brag, but the kid looked absolutely amazing against Texas, who was the #1 rated overall defense before JJ carved 'em up. Well, at the beginning of this season, Sherman had so much confidence in JJ that he declared the QB race up for grabs, and JJ barely beat out Ryan Tennehill. Yeah. Last year (as our starter) JJ went 4-11 against Texas for 62 yards (long of 33 yards so half of 'em came on one play) and 1 TD. It was so bad that he got benched. Only one year later, he went 26-32 for 342 yards, 4TDs, and 1 Int. That's quite a difference!!!

Anyway, it's tough now, especially after an ugly 1 point loss, but don't give up on a true fish just because he didn't look good this year. Our team is loaded with offensive talent, but I still look at Cody Green as one that got away (as do many other aggies)!!

I'm going to bring a bit of a different perspective as I'm a Texas Aggie. This is also gonna start with a bit of a tangent but I promise it's relevant.

So far, our coach Mike Sherman seems to be almost a miracle worker on the offensive side of the ball. Our quarterback, who absolutely lit Texas up a few weeks ago, actually played TE in high school and then ran the option for two years under our previous coach Dennis Franchione. This year, in his second season under Sherman, he threw for 3200 yards (school record), 26TDs (school record), and only 6 Ints, 3 of which were in 1 terrible game during which nobody could do anything right.

Our WRs have been equally impressive. A&M has always more or less been representing the big 10 in the deep south; in other words, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. We have never had a 1000 yard receiver in our school's history. Prior to Jerrod Johnson our qb, our school passing record for a single season was ~2700 yards, including the bowl. So when Sherman produces a go-to tru fish (Uzoma Nwachukwu), a true sophomore (Jeff Fuller), and a redshirt sophomore (Ryan Tannehill, who was playing qb when Sherman arrived), he deserves a lot of credit.

My point with this is to back up the assertion that Sherman is a great evaluator and developer of offensive talent. He has brought in a lot of recruits that have stepped onto campus and contributed as true freshman.

And let me tell you, he really, really wanted Cody Green. We sent the house after him but he ended up with the the Corn; a fact that disappointed a lot of Aggies. He raved about his ability to make all the throws, his decision making (he had 36TDs and 5 Ints his senior year), etc. In Sherman's mind, Cody Green was the real deal.

Anyway, it's my opinion that you all should consider the fact that the kid is a true freshman and that he can still improve dramatically. Quarterback is, without a doubt, about the hardest position to pick up because there is so much to learn, memorize, and train into muscle memory. Then all the reading defense stuff. It's really darn hard and takes a lot of time to learn. For example, earlier in the post I mentioned our quarterback, Jerrod Johnson. Not to brag, but the kid looked absolutely amazing against Texas, who was the #1 rated overall defense before JJ carved 'em up. Well, at the beginning of this season, Sherman had so much confidence in JJ that he declared the QB race up for grabs, and JJ barely beat out Ryan Tennehill. Yeah. Last year (as our starter) JJ went 4-11 against Texas for 62 yards (long of 33 yards so half of 'em came on one play) and 1 TD. It was so bad that he got benched. Only one year later, he went 26-32 for 342 yards, 4TDs, and 1 Int. That's quite a difference!!!

Anyway, it's tough now, especially after an ugly 1 point loss, but don't give up on a true fish just because he didn't look good this year. Our team is loaded with offensive talent, but I still look at Cody Green as one that got away (as do many other aggies)!!

I'm with you. I don't think anyone is doubting Cody Green's talent. Right now the majority of us fans are just frustrated. We realize a kid like Green has potential, we're just frustrated that it took 5 games before we realized that our O wasn't as good as we initially thought, hence the Lee vs. Green debate.

I'm glad that Green has been able to take some snaps here and there this year though. It'll undoubtedly benefit him in his preparation for next season. I'm also sure the coaches see something special in him too, otherwise they wouldn't have burned his redshirt.

I still have hope for the kid, even under the circumstances of what we've been through this season.