Curtis Carter

hey guys ask ND how getting top offensive recruits works out for them... you guys are making a big deal about offensive recruits vs. defensive recruits...were going to be ok...our defense will be top in the nation year after year and our offense will come around...id rather have a mediocre offense and a great defence then the other way around

I hope you are correct. However it seems we are quick to believe that we will have the same defense without some of the great players we had this year. I'm sure Bo is a great defensive coach. On the other hand talent plays a huge part. Suh, Turner and Asante had more collective talent than any 6 players leaving any other team. Those losses will be huge. We, I think will be better than average to good on D, but there is zero reason to believe that we will be the top defense in the nation.

Everybody gets all twisted in knots thinking that we are permanently bad on offense after one terrible year. In 08 we were one of the better offenses in the league. Our offensive coaches didn't change. We lost players. As a result we sucked on O.

Last year our defense was average to good. This year it was GREAT.

Next year, we lose a lot on D. IT WILL NOT BE AS GOOD. Deal with it. Bo is a football coach not the creator.

I am still concerned that we have not attracted any playmakers so far in this class--ala Curtis Carter or another QB. For all of the fans now wanting to bash Lil Gabbert as some midget with a great arm; after what I've seen this year, I'd take a one legged midget with a great arm. Everybody thinks we can line up and run the ball against the big 12. I have my doubts. Time will tell. Having all the players back on a team that sucked on offense may of itself make us a better team with the experience. Certainly if helu and Burk can stay healthy (big if for Helu)

Oh I hate Misery and all it stands for but it is silly for us to act like we now have a patent on soap and winning one North title out of the last 3 makes us a shoo in from here on is silly. They will be our competiton in the next two or three years. We will have to have an average offense and a better than average defense to dominate the North. It will not be easy at all. Our offense has to settle in on a plan and stick to it. Our recruiting has to improve.

i actually agree with much of your post. we'll definitely need to see some improvement from some new guys to be even close to as good a defense. luckily, we've already seen how much improvement our defensive staff can bring out in players. the progression made by suh, asante and dillard (i think his loss is way bigger than turner's) was astounding. if we can see the same for pj smith, eric martin and steinkiller, we're in good shape. i expect a pretty salty defense nest season, though it'll help if prince doesn't jump ship early. it will be a slight step down though. no one replaces the havoc that suh created on his own.

i also agree that health alone will help this offense and that, despite his moral shortcomings, gabbert was highly thought of by our staff and it sucks that it went sour with him. we don't absolutely need a QB in this class though

really the only thing i don't agree with ist hat we have to improve our recruiting. we will likely never be a recruiting juggernaut by USC or texas standards. if we get close again it will be because of our traditional selling point: winning. we're on our way to establishing the winning culture again and it seems that recruits are starting to take notice. i think that, despite all the bellyaching by some parts of our fan base, recruiting has gone fine since bo has been here and will keep looking better as their classes start to atually see the field and the nebraska brand regains its luster in the media and among high schoolers.

mizzou isn't going away, but neither are we. bo has been near miraculous in pulling this program to two good seasons right off the bat. the future is bright.