Stoops' decision not to go for field goal

taking the field goal would be a defeat, i wouldn't expect a coach to kick a field goal in that situation. i think any coach would have made that move, to prove something to their offense.

Callafraud went for the 3 while getting pounded by OU a few years ago.

OU 30

NU 3

11/13/04

With less than one minute remaining in the game, Oklahoma went for it on fourth down, but White's completion to Ataleo Ford came up four yards short at the Nebraska 13. Following a penalty that put the Huskers at their 28, fullback Steve Kriewald rambled 48 yards to the OU 24. Kriewald followed his career-long rush with a three-yarder before quarterback Joe Dailey spiked the ball with one second and David Dyches connected on a 39-yard field goal on the final play of the game for the Huskers' only points of the contest.

if I remember correctly, it was more of a response to Stoops trying to run up the score on us for BCS points. It was more of an F you FG.

I don't remember the circumstances of that FG...were we down near the goal line? Or was it a reasonably distanced FG?

I've never liked attempting to ruin a shutout just to ruin a shutout. If you drive down the field and have one play left and you're on the 20 or 30, sure, kick the FG. You can't be reasonably expected to score a TD from there. But if you get down there like Arizona did, then yeah, I say try to punch it into the endzone. Otherwise you're just trying to ruin the shutout for no other reason than ruining the shutout, and that's just dumb.

If the positions were reversed and Bo went for the FG, I'd have been annoyed.

taking the field goal would be a defeat, i wouldn't expect a coach to kick a field goal in that situation. i think any coach would have made that move, to prove something to their offense.

Callafraud went for the 3 while getting pounded by OU a few years ago.

OU 30

NU 3

11/13/04

With less than one minute remaining in the game, Oklahoma went for it on fourth down, but White's completion to Ataleo Ford came up four yards short at the Nebraska 13. Following a penalty that put the Huskers at their 28, fullback Steve Kriewald rambled 48 yards to the OU 24. Kriewald followed his career-long rush with a three-yarder before quarterback Joe Dailey spiked the ball with one second and David Dyches connected on a 39-yard field goal on the final play of the game for the Huskers' only points of the contest.

if I remember correctly, it was more of a response to Stoops trying to run up the score on us for BCS points. It was more of an F you FG.

sd'sker got it right.

I don't get the logic here. If you are helping us out, then you kneel the ball. If you are going for a touchdown, you're trying to make the score 33-7. How is that helping us out? And how did we "have mercy" on them? We had our defensive starters in till the very end.

Helping us out as not trying for a almost certain fg since it was almost like a PAT where it was. He put his offense in there and gave Nebraska a shot at getting a shutout.

It was a class move unlike Callahan in Oklahoma.

Still don't get it. If you are intentionally trying to help the other team out (which is silly IMO) then you kneel the ball. Trying to pass the ball for a touchdown is not helping us out. Plus, they have a pretty mediocre kicker and who knows if Suh wouldn't have just blocked a FG attempt anyway.

If you are giving up on the game, just kneel the ball and hit the showers. If you aren't giving up, then do whatever is best for your team.

It's not that hard of a concept. There virtually is no difference between kicking a FG or scoring a TD if you're Arizona because either way that offense feels pretty bad about their performance. It's just a matter of running a play with a lower probability of scoring in exchange for more potential points. They were still trying to score.

I respect Stoops more now..

The same kind of people that would "throw in the towell" by kicking a FG in this situation.

Would not have gone for two against Miami in the '83 MNC to win rather than tie.

Sometimes in the long run...how you win or lose is more important than IF you win or lose.

kicking the fieldgoal = attempting a drag bunt in the 9th inning of a no-hitter

Poor taste.

- Arizona Fan

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=98211