QBs still on Huskers' radar

QBs still on Huskers' radar

By Rich Kaipust

OWH

LINCOLN — Nebraska won't have to do much convincing with Cherry Creek High coach Mike Brookhart if the Huskers decide to visit Englewood, Colo., to see his quarterback.

Kain Colter decommitted from Stanford last week and is available again a month before signing day.

“Hopefully Nebraska will come in and like him,'' Brookhart said. “They had such a good year, and they do such a good job of coaching ... it's a place I'd like one of my kids to be at.''

NU's recruiting class has been without a quarterback since Tyler Gabbert exited the list four weeks ago. Coach Bo Pelini has said the Huskers would add a quarterback if the right one were available, but would not take one just to take one.

If they do, some of the candidates include Colter and Millard South senior Bronson Marsh, with another possibility being Brion Carnes of Bradenton, Fla. Marsh has an official visit to NU scheduled for Jan. 15.

Colter both passed and rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season for Cherry Creek. Making it more impressive, Brookhart said, was the fact that he played all season with a torn labrum and torn bicep muscle he suffered on the team's second offensive series of the season.

“He's a terrific athlete and a terrific competitor, with really good upside,'' Brookhart said. “He can throw and run. We ran the spread, so he knows how to read defenses. He'd be a perfect fit, and he really likes Nebraska.''

Brookhart said the 6-foot-1, 185-pound Colter decommitted from Stanford because he “just wanted to pursue some other opportunities.'' Colter has taken an official visit to Northwestern and is receiving attention from Texas Christian.

What Colter, Marsh and Carnes all have in common is the ability to play somewhere other than quarterback.

Of Colter, Brookhart said: “He's not a huge risk, because if he can't play quarterback he can move to the slot or cornerback.''

Millard South coach Andy Means said there is a little bit of Marsh playing safety on the film that Means has recently sent to assistant coach Scott Frost at Oregon, head coach Turner Gill at Kansas and head coach Frank Solich at Ohio University.

Marsh finished his career by breaking Frost's state record for career passing yards (6,826) as Millard South won the Class A state championship.

“I think he's going to go where he wants to play,'' Means said. “I don't think he's completely set on playing offense. He'll play anywhere — and he can be a great defensive player.''

Marsh has an offer from UNO and interest from a handful of Football Championship Subdivision schools (formerly Division I-AA). Means said he had a hunch but wasn't sure if Marsh's visit to Nebraska would lead to a scholarship or walk-on offer.

“All I know is somebody is going to get a real good player,'' Means said. “Whoever it is, wherever he goes, they're going to go, ‘Wow, we got a steal.'”

Carnes is committed to South Florida, but told rivals.com recently that Nebraska and Western Kentucky would be first in line if he decides to take some visits.

Carnes is a cousin of former NU All-America quarterback Tommie Frazier. As a senior at Manatee High in Bradenton, the 6-foot-1, 184-pounder passed for more than 2,500 yards and 24 touchdowns, while running for almost 400 yards and 11 TDs.

According to rivals, Carnes is listed as the No. 7 dual-threat quarterback nationally.