2 Year Postseason/TV Ban For USC Football???

mmmtodd

I keep seeing this NY Times article mentioned in places, but cant seem to find it. Anyone have any info to add to this?

What Ive seen and heard multiple times is that the NCAA is considering a 2 year postseason play ban, and a complete television ban, of the USC football program.

This would obviously be huge, but I cant seem to think media whore Lane Kiffin would go there if this was possible.

BTW- i ran across this picture while trying to tack down info on this story...

born-on-third-base-poster.jpg

Not happening. No way, no how, nothing, nada, zip.

Does anybody really think the NCAA would ever bite the hand that feeds them when they get a cut out of the TV money generated? USC alumni stretch to all 50 states, so taking them off TV would create a ratings disaster for the network that has the deal with the Pac 10 Conference.

I can see a reduction in scholarships and possibly a reduction of in-house recruiting days, but that is about as far as they will go.

I thought it was sanctions against the basketball team???

:dunno

GBR

Those were self-imposed by the university itself. What the NCAA is possibly looking at, is imposing some other sanctions on the athletic department itself much like what OU went thru a few years ago with Bomar and his "job", the basketball teams recruiting violations, the gymnastics teams problems, etc. I don't see USC getting hit that hard. At most, a few years probation, maybe a post-season ban for a couple of years, loss of a couple of scholarships for a few years, etc. Where it could really hit them though is if the NCAA forces them to vacate some wins when Bush was there. Could mean they lose their MNC trophy.

Not happening. No way, no how, nothing, nada, zip.

Does anybody really think the NCAA would ever bite the hand that feeds them when they get a cut out of the TV money generated? USC alumni stretch to all 50 states, so taking them off TV would create a ratings disaster for the network that has the deal with the Pac 10 Conference.

I can see a reduction in scholarships and possibly a reduction of in-house recruiting days, but that is about as far as they will go.

I don't know . . . I think the NCAA will hammer whoever blatantly breaks the rules. They took all those wins from FSU (and their coach) just for textbooks. If players were paid and USC knew it . . . they will get hammered.